What is it?

Started by GunClick Rick, February 25, 2012, 07:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

Stu Kettle

it's a cigarette lighter.  put some fuel on the wick & a flint under the wheel & spin the wheel with your thumb.

GunClick Rick

How do ya carry it with a wet wick?What kind of lighter?
Bunch a ole scudders!

John Smith

I think it is a WWI trench cigarette lighter, they were very similar and some were different.  Basically the wick was treated with a flammable liquid, and the wheel struck a spark from a flint.  Google Trench lighter, lots of pictures of the various types.

GunClick Rick

wow,i just found out i have another one,it was in my grandpas shop forever,i found it after he passed,and i have had it for at least ten years not knowing what it was,ain't that somethin

Bunch a ole scudders!

St. George

The entire wick doesn't get saturated - just the first inch or so.

Flints are fed through the rectangular shaft - held in place with a spring.

By this time, the original flint's likely turned into dust, so stick a pipe cleaner into the shaft to make sure it's cleaned out - and put a small drop of oil on the little spring.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

GunClick Rick

Are they worth anything?
Bunch a ole scudders!

Danny Bear Claw

Well...  If ya want to smoke a cigarette in a trench and ain't got no matches it's worth a fortune.   ;D
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

GunClick Rick

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

TOUCHIE -)=====>  :-X :D
Bunch a ole scudders!

GunClick Rick

I swear that St Goerge knows everything :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

GunClick Rick

Well i did what St Goerge told me,a couple of quick strikes and the wick glowed like crazy,did'nt have to put any fuel at all on it,the wick works like char cloth,no flame just a good hot red glow ;D I'll find me a little metal case to put it in and ad to my survival bag,always carried one in my truck.

Then i will buy a keyboard that knows how to spell,i swear i don't writ wackbards,had to wreti htsi trhee tmies :-\
Bunch a ole scudders!

Danny Bear Claw

Dang Rick...  is you dislexic???   :o
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

GunClick Rick

Nope,my keyboard is though ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Don Nix

it doesnt use lighter fluid. it works jsur as yu said ,as a glowing ember. it was designed  so that an open flame wouldnt attract sniper fire as a match or lighter would.
trench lighters were made up into the 50s and a lot of backpackers used them.

PJ Hardtack

In WW I trench warfare, "three men on a match" was deemed to be inviting a sniper's bullet; if you had matches dry enough to light, that is! It provided all the time needed to make a shot.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

GunClick Rick

Hey PJ give me light~  ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Burt Blade

I had a "mountain man pipe lighter" version. it had the rope and brass collar, plus a separate flint and steel.

The trick it to pre-char the rope. Once charred, it is very easy to re-light with the flint.

PJ Hardtack

Rick

And the Lord said - 'Let there be light...",' and behold, you could see for miles ..... Then the booming voice of the Sergeant Major said - 'Turn out those bloomin' lights!', and Lo', darkness descended upon the earth.

Old army joke, likening the voice and authority of a SM unto God. Any old soldier can relate.

Why would a soldier prefer to stand before God as opposed to the Sergeant Major? Because God will have mercy ...... ;>)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

GunClick Rick

PYLE!!!!! I want you to put that buckett on your head and just sit there and think awhile!!!!!

:D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Danny Bear Claw

First guy on the match lights his cig...  getting the sniper's attention,
second guy gets a light for his cig...  causing the sniper to get in position and start to take aim,
about the time the third guy gets his cig lit...  he dies of "acute lead poisoning".  
::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com