New .45 S&W (Schofield) Bullet

Started by Coal Creek Griff, February 13, 2012, 10:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coal Creek Griff

I've been trying out a new bullet mold offering from Accurate Molds for 45 S&W (http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-230S-D.png.  This is his 45-230S.  Basically, the exposed portion of the bullet matches some of the original designs, so that the appearance of the loaded cartridge is very close to the original.  The portion of the bullet that is within the case, however, has some modifications.  There is no hollow base and there is only one larger lube groove.  The weight is designed to be about 230 grains when cast with wheel weights.  There is also a crimp groove.

The photo shows an old cartridge from my collection, one of my loads with Starline brass and a recently cast bullet.  (Sorry for the nose damage on the bullet--I managed to drop it just before I took the photo and was too lazy to go get another one.  I didn't think it would show up in the photo.)

I have been using this bullet for a couple of weeks in my Uberti Schofield and it is showing a great deal of promise.  Because of the limitations of the Uberti revolver, I have only been using smokeless loads, but I have been pleased with the performance.

Tom at Accurate Molds does an amazing job in producing his molds.  I have two and I am very impressed.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Grapeshot

Great looking boolit.  I imagine the wider lube groove is for Black Powder compatable lubricant, ie: SPG, and would work great in any .45 Revolver chambered for either the Schofield round or the .45 Colt round.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Tall Dark Slim

Griff,
Do you notice a difference in loading or feeding?

Coal Creek Griff

I haven't noticed any major difference.  I have only shot them from my Schofield pistol, so I would not expect a major difference.  With the similar profile to the 454190 bullet, I would expect it to function in rifles in a similar manner, assuming they feed the shorter round.

If you meant loading the cartridges as in assembling the parts, I find the crimp groove to be helpful--once the seating die is adjusted, the bullet is locked in place. 

I hope I answered your question.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Tall Dark Slim

I was looking for how easily it dropped into the cylinder and if you found it more streamlined than other .45's. I'm looking to go one bullet for all games and use it the CAS and USPSA .45 ACP moonclipped revos. Simplify the component stocking

Coal Creek Griff

I imagine that the bullet would enter the chambers about the same as most other 45 S&W or 45 Colt bullets.  It has a smaller meplat than some designs, so it could be a tad better than those, but I doubt that it would make a huge difference.  This is almost the same nose profile as the Lyman 454190, which has been a standard 45 Colt bullet for many years.

I'm not sure how well it would work with 45 ACP loads.  There might be better choices, although I'm sure you could make it function, especially in revolvers.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Grapeshot

Nice going Coal Creek Griff!  I've come back to this thread several times over the last few days and finally ordered this mold, .45-230S.

Now I have to wait until I get back to the States before I can start casting and shooting this boolit.  I have more molds than I'll ever use as it is, and now I've added another.  Thanks for showing it off. ;)
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Coal Creek Griff

I hope the bullet works as well for you as it has for me!  Let me know how it works out.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Grapeshot

Quote from: Coal Creek Griff on February 28, 2012, 07:25:17 PM
I hope the bullet works as well for you as it has for me!  Let me know how it works out.

CC Griff

Once I get back from Iraq I plan on atleast a week worth of casting this as well as some of my other cowboy boolits.  I'll post here how well they shot in my guns as I have several I shoot in .45 caliber from SAA's to a S&W 625 and a Colt New Service.  I'll be busy.

Steel Horse Bailey

Grapeshot, be careful in Iraq.  Keep your senses and alert level high and your head down.  We're still not very popular over there with some of the extremists.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Grapeshot

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on March 01, 2012, 07:24:25 AM
Grapeshot, be careful in Iraq.  Keep your senses and alert level high and your head down.  We're still not very popular over there with some of the extremists.

Roger that!  We were told yesterday by our security team that things might get hairy if what happened in Afganistan spills over into our neck of the woods.  I really wish I had my hands on a good AR platform in .300 BLKOUT and about 100K of ammo for it.

They kept us home today, don't know if it's because of that or that we have nothing to work on as they postponed the shipment of M198's for the next 3 months.  I still get the big bucks if I'm out there or in my CHU playing on my computer.

Virginia Gentleman

Does anyone cast this shape commercially?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com