Hammered doubles for NCOWS

Started by TallBaldBellied, January 31, 2012, 06:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Horse Bailey

While I already have a hammer double, a TOZ-66 model Tula, made in Baikal, Russia, it has the 20" barrels with fixed chokes.  The R barrel has Mod choke, the L is Imp ... or vicey-versa.

What I'd LIKE to find ia a 26" or 28" barrel to fit on it, or even a 24"/25" with screw chokes.

I suspect I'll die looooooong before I find a spare barrel.  It's a fine shotgun ... not fancy, but built like a T-62 tank.  I think I'll call the USSG foplks.  Their SP220F looks MUCH like my TOZ and they DO sell that series (both with or without hammers) and longer barrels.  Actually, the barrels look like they will interchange between the hammered and the non-hammered versions, but I can't tell for sure by only looking at an Internet picture.

This isn't a shot of mine (my wood is lighter) but it's identical in every other way.

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Pancho Peacemaker

I was at 3 B yesterday and a guy walked in with a very nice Rossi Overlander coach gun with exposed hammers.  I got to handle it and it was in excellent condition.

He wanted it sold on consignment.  You might call Bryan and see if it is still available. 
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

TallBaldBellied

Mr. Bailey,

The USSG reply to my email query, left me with the understanding that the longer barrels would NOT fit the hammer gun.  I have misunderstood many things in the past, and may very well be misunderstanding now.  Should you get a different answer, would you be so kind as to post it here?  My planned firearms purchases MAY be on hold once again.  My 35 year old tiller, and 20 year old lawn tractor both went belly up this weekend. >:(  I shall have to consult SWMBO, to see what we think about firearms and power equipment.

I am sir,....etc

TBB

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: TallBaldBellied on February 19, 2012, 06:32:16 PM
Mr. Bailey,

The USSG reply to my email query, left me with the understanding that the longer barrels would NOT fit the hammer gun.  I have misunderstood many things in the past, and may very well be misunderstanding now.  Should you get a different answer, would you be so kind as to post it here?  My planned firearms purchases MAY be on hold once again.  My 35 year old tiller, and 20 year old lawn tractor both went belly up this weekend. >:(  I shall have to consult SWMBO, to see what we think about firearms and power equipment.

I am sir,....etc

TBB

Thanks for the USSG reply.  You went one step further than I have!

My wish for longer barrels is not very high on my list of priorities.  If I were a hunter, then I would be more interested.

Good luck regarding your tiller and tractor.

Jeff - SHB
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

OklaTom

Sad to say, the days of the TTN/EMF Hartford/Cimarron 1878/Taylor's 1878 seem to be at an end.  Importation issues with the Chinese manufacturer.  There apparently will not be any more, unless a new manufacturer rises from the ashes.  I went through this drill with a NCOWS shooter that called the shop recently, and we really came up blank with affordable options.  Yes, Pedersoli makes one with long barrels, the La Bohémienne, for a mere $1800.  CZ makes the Hammer Classic.  I have a distributor willing to special order them in from CZ for my shop if there is interest.  I can order as few as 1 or as many as needed.  But they run around $900, too.  And they probably still have the tang safety.  The Baikal hammer gun, the MP220F, comes only in 20" barrels.  The barrels are not interchangeable with the MP220.  Different locking lugs between the box lock of the MP220 and the side lock of the MP220F.  Also, it takes two thumbs to cock the hammers.  They are placed low on the side locks and spaced far apart, and are fairly small.  Not at all like those on the old Colt 1878 or other period shotguns.  I asked Cimarron if they had a plan to introduce a different manufacturer for the 1878.  Instead of "No", I got a "we cannot discuss right now" so perhaps they have something in the works.  Time will tell.  Meanwhile, I will continue to shoot my old Hopkins & Allen 28" hammer shotguns.

If anyone is interested in the CZ Hammer Classic, get in touch with me.  As I said, I explored this with one of my distributor of CA and they are willing to place special orders for them if I need them for NCOWS folks.
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

OklaTom

Quote from: Pancho Peacemaker on February 19, 2012, 06:23:43 PM
I was at 3 B yesterday and a guy walked in with a very nice Rossi Overlander coach gun with exposed hammers.  I got to handle it and it was in excellent condition.

He wanted it sold on consignment.  You might call Bryan and see if it is still available. 

The Rossi Overland is still here, for now...
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Steel Horse Bailey

Oh well ... I can still dream.  Which seems to be my only option.

joec

Here are two I just found at gun broker.

Liberty KBI 24/22" barrel so it is one of those lengths 12 ga. I have one and now sold under CZ name.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/917537847/Guns/Shotguns/Cowboy-Action-Shotguns-Misc/KBI_Liberty_12ga_Double_Shotgun.htm

The next one could use some work it looks like. It has 30" barrels.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=274287946#PIC
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Rowdy Fulcher

Howdy
I guess I better hang on to my 26 inch TTN . Don't sound like there will be any for a while , or ever .  ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com