Hammered doubles for NCOWS

Started by TallBaldBellied, January 31, 2012, 06:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallBaldBellied

I'm in search of a Hammered Double that will pass muster for NCOWS 1880ish. +/- 5 years, preferably one that could/will be used for birds and rabbits too, meaning a set of 26"+ barrels.  Checked out the approved/unapproved lists.  A little help?  I work  close to 60 hrs per week so research is on the difficult side.  You know, angled hammers vs straight hammers, box, side, round, back action style locks.

Rowdy Fulcher

Howdy
EMF carried the 1878 with a 26 in barrel  . It's a remake of the Colt hammered shotgun .

Pancho Peacemaker

Give this guy a call:

http://www.3bshootingsupply.com/

He's an NCOWS shooter, FFL dealer, and a gunsmith.  He'll know what's available on the market.  His prices are good too.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Major 2

Short of originials

only two I know of for sure that offer (ed) 26" barrels

The EMF (also know as the TTn)  1878 clone of the Colt Hammered SXS
Cimarron had these as well , not sure if Taylor's got any of the now discontinued 28" barrels.

and Rossi , and they been discontenued maybe 12 years...
so 26"ers  are rare

Currently
The TTn coach gun is in some short supply. (Very nice gun though $ 400- $500)
Century coach gun ( entry level price @ under $300 and tank tough.

There is the 20" Wyatt Earp made by Pedersoli  in the $995 range.

Adco did import a Turkish Coach gun in the $850 range but they are very hard to find and parts are non existant

There is a Polish made Coach gun and they run about $1400  :o

when planets align...do the deal !

TallBaldBellied

Pedersoli also has a double out in full length that Cherry's lists at $1800 or so.  I just wonder if these are historically accurate enough, should I ever make it as far as the 'Originals' class.

Mogorilla

25 years ago (in my poor college days), I found a shop that had two Italian goose guns, so ~30" barrels.  Side by side, hammers and a lot of inlaid silver scroll work.  Some industrious goose hunter had painted them both with camo paint.   Each was $200, one in 10 guage and 1 in 12 guage.   I should have put them on the emergency credit card, which is what my dad said too, as when I went back, both were gone.   Cleaned up the 10 guage would have been a fitting match to the gun from Appaloosa.   Seriously not sure why someone would have painted them, that was a crime.   If you were portraying a visiting European Nobleman, they would have been perfect.   I keep looking for a bargain like that, alas, to no avail so far.

Tascosa Joe

The Turkish gun maker Huglu built a hammer double, but they were a bit pricey?  $900 + since CZ has exclusive rights in the US to Huglu, I am not sure if they import the hammer gun anymore.

T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Major 2

I forgot to mention the Bikail imported by EAA  ( and for short time Remington ) and by EAA now once again.
These are made in Tula , Russia  they make longer barrels but Don't think EAA imports them , but a call to them might confirm that.

TJ 
the Huglu is the same as ADCO advertized strating about 04 or 05.
I contacted them back then and they had no guns to sell, later GOTOW did an article on them> I have not seen an ADCO ad for these in some time.
Maybe CZ's exclusive rights forced them out...

I think the old Bounty Hunter II (now no longer made) was also Turkish By Huglu

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: Major 2 on February 01, 2012, 08:36:08 AM
I forgot to mention the Bikail imported by EAA  ( and for short time Remington ) and by EAA now once again.
These are made in Tula , Russia  they make longer barrels but Don't think EAA imports them , but a call to them might confirm that.

TJ 
the Huglu is the same as ADCO advertized strating about 04 or 05.
I contacted them back then and they had no guns to sell, later GOTOW did an article on them> I have not seen an ADCO ad for these in some time.
Maybe CZ's exclusive rights forced them out...

I think the old Bounty Hunter II (now no longer made) was also Turkish By Huglu

USSG is now importing Baikals also:  http://www.ussginc.com/longguns.html
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

Trap

Fortunately the originals class does not require a shotgun.
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Okefinokee Outlaw

I purchased the CZ/Huglu last year.  It's a beautiful gun, but I'm still having trouble getting past the tang safety.

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: TallBaldBellied on January 31, 2012, 06:57:47 PM
I'm in search of a Hammered Double that will pass muster for NCOWS 1880ish. +/- 5 years, preferably one that could/will be used for birds and rabbits too, meaning a set of 26"+ barrels.  Checked out the approved/unapproved lists.  A little help?  I work  close to 60 hrs per week so research is on the difficult side.  You know, angled hammers vs straight hammers, box, side, round, back action style locks.

TBB:  If you take a gander over at the classified listings on the SASS wire, there happens to be an abundance of hammered double shotguns (replicas and originals) up for sale.  Several at very reasonable prices.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

TallBaldBellied

Quote from: Trap on February 01, 2012, 10:00:10 AM
  Fortunately the originals class does not require a shotgun.

Ahaaa!!!!  Shotgun for fun then!

bear tooth billy

There a whole bunch of hammered doubles (originals) being imported from Europe. I bought a Husqvarna from Cabelas, also
check Simpsons collectable firearms in Galesburg Il. (google them)

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Lucky R. K.

I would love to find a good 10 gauge hammered double for black powder shooting.

Lucky  ;D
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

bowiemaker

When I went looking for a hammered coach gun I could not find any of the models I preferred. Everybody was out of Cimarrons and TTNs. I finally took a chance on a Chinese Zhongzhow 12 ga imported by CAI. I picked it up for $300 new at a gun show. I must say it is a solid and well made gun. I have not shot it a lot but so far I am impressed with it.
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

joec

I picked up a Liberty 24" barreled shotgun used from one of the members here. Now Liberty was the name of the company that used to import them from Turkey and now it is my understanding they are sold under CZ name. I paid about $300 for mine used though the 24" barrels are rare I've seen them available in 20" and 26" used selling under Liberty. I really like mine a lot also.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Major 2

Quote from: bowiemaker on February 03, 2012, 09:47:58 AM
When I went looking for a hammered coach gun I could not find any of the models I preferred. Everybody was out of Cimarrons and TTNs. I finally took a chance on a Chinese Zhongzhow 12 ga imported by CAI. I picked it up for $300 new at a gun show. I must say it is a solid and well made gun. I have not shot it a lot but so far I am impressed with it.

This is the same gun I mentioned " Century " ....Two pards on the NCOWS posse bought one each....

The are as Bowiemaker stated  :)

TallBaldBellied

EAA/USSG is importing Baikal once again.  The MP220F is a hammered coach gun w/20" barrels.  IIRC the MP220 comes with either 26 or 28 inch barrels.  I am going to presume that the barrels are interchangeable.  I will see if I can find an answer to whether that is true, and, if the above mentioned company would be willing to do so.

Cliff Fendley

Quote from: TallBaldBellied on February 01, 2012, 03:16:38 AM
Pedersoli also has a double out in full length that Cherry's lists at $1800 or so.  I just wonder if these are historically accurate enough, should I ever make it as far as the 'Originals' class.

I don't think Originals class requires a shotgun.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com