Spencer Rifle Lament!

Started by Two Flints, January 29, 2012, 10:33:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Flints

Hello SSS,

I just returned home from visiting the Marlboro MA Firearms & Knife Show.  There were 500 tables and as I meandered up and down each aisle I looked for an Evans or Spencer to possibly purchase.

And then I saw it :o :o  A beautiful Spencer Rifle in MINT condition.  I fondled it ever so gently ;) ;)  The action was as smooth as silk.  Just a real beauty ;D  I returned to it several times to fondle it again and again.  The serial # is 8143.

I waited and waited ever so patiently for my lovely wife to say those magic words.  "If you really want it then buy it."  ::) ::) But those words were not forthcoming.  What I did hear was, "Don't forget we need a new roof this year"  :-\ :-\

I slowly walked away from that Spencer Rifle  :'(  :'( ever so slowly  :'( :'(

Two Flints

8143 perhaps issued to Indiana Volunteer Infantry

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Jack Wagon

Two Flints, I feel your pain.   JW
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

JimBob

If your lucks like mine,you'll never see that rifle again. :'(I feel your pain,I had to re-roof the house a couple of years ago.

matt45

Couldn't you offer to stretch a tarp real tight over any potential leaks?

There is always the old "This is an investment ploy", or you could sneak the darn thing in and say two of your other guns were breeding.

rbertalotto

Women just have no sense of priority!

You can easily get along with out a roof, but trying to live one you've seen a rifle of your dreams.........can't be done.

I hope you got the dealers card............... ;D
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

sharps1863

If it was not for wives, we could own a lot more guns.

Two Flints have you not learned never take your wife to a gun show. I did one time and came home empty handed too. Never again did I take her. I just forget to mention where I'm going when I go out the door. ;D
Now a member of the Spencer Shooting Society #430
Shooter of 1-Trapdoor Springfield 1- Maynard Carbine- 1- Brunswick Rifle- 1-.50cal Hawkin- 2 -1858 Remingtons- 1- 1851 Colt Sheriff-1- 2nd model Dragoon- 1 .75cal Brown Bess Carbine-and now 1- Armi Sport 56/50 Spencer
Maybe I like Black-powder guns too Much

Jobe Holiday

I feel sorry for you fellas, for not only is my wife a shooter, she thinks all these old guns are a great part of our American history! So, I've got all the support on the home front anyone could ask for! The only reason she doesn't go to the gun shows with me is because there aren't any close to home, so she just says "Don't slam the door on the way out, Honey!" When I get home she says "Whatdidyaget?" It doesn't matter if it is just another book, a bayonet, or an old beat up gun, she shares my enthusiasm with me for whatever my "New Toy" may be.

I will share our philosophy on "Life" with you. "Life" is one grand Merry-Go-Round ride, and while the ride is running you can ride all the great and colorful animals on it....the Lions, Tigers, Bears, and Chariots....BUT there is no Brass Ring for a second ride, so enjoy the trip to your hearts content.

Jobe
Life Member: NRA Benefactor, NMLRA, SCA, OMSA, EAF&GC

Two Flints

Jobe,

I'm gonna print out a copy of your "philosophy of life" and leave it on the breakfast table this morning for my wife to read as soon as she gets up ::) 

I thank you for sharing . . . BTW, do you have a spare bedroom I could share  :-\ :-\

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Jobe Holiday

Two Flints -

You are most welcome to use my "Philosophy of Life". It isn't a joke, either. Yes, common sense and moderation in all things is the operative word. I once made an off hand comment to another shooter/collector friend when he was agonizing over whether to make a new purchase, or not. I was a lot younger, and probably a bit flippant at the time, when I told him "Don't worry about it, its only money....it'll grow back!" He went on to become an ordained Minister with two churches. He recently thanked for the wisdom of the "Money will grow back" comment because he uses it in his sermons from time to time when the congregation gets too up tight over money issues.

Your friend always,
Jobe

Two Flints

Jobe,

Thank you for letting me borrow your "philosophy of life" comment, but you kinda side-stepped and avoided answering my original my question "do you have a spare bedroom I could share" ::) ::) 

Best wishes,

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Jobe Holiday

Oh, yes....about that "Spare Bedroom"....my wife recently announced "You do know, the spare bedroom is now full of your stuff.....DON'T YOU?"

I think there's a thinly veiled message there somewhere ;D

Jobe

matt45

and there's the old joke about the husband who shows up around 3 in the morning smelling of nefarious deeds.  His wife asks him where he has been, and he answers, "down at the bar getting drunk."

To which she snarls "Don't try to get in my good graces.  You #!%^&, you were at a gun show."

Little Dalton

About that roof.... tell her that when it's raining, it's too wet to fix it, and when it's dry, it's as good as any man's roof.
Jordan Goodwin, Blacksmith

Tuolumne Lawman

Two Flints,

You have my sympathy... I totally understand.  I had a similar situation several years ago where someone had a GORGEOUS 1860 56-56 carbine consigned in a local gunshop that they only wanted $1500 for... Unfortunately I was so broke I couldn't even pay attention!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Herbert

I feel the same about a Spencer conversion that was posted here not long ago.  It was marked JPG and was almost my perfect dream Spencer,unfortunately the dentist cleaned me out for some time!

Arizona Trooper

I feel your pain! Back a few years ago, I was at an N-SSA National and stumbled across a Windsor P-53 Enfield (Made by Robbins & Lawrence on a British contract for the Crimean War, a lot of them ended up in Georgia for the Civil War). It was the only one I have ever seen for sale. I knew we had some bills coming, so I called my wife and told her about it rather than just whip out the money. Her answer was; "Go buy it!" When I got back to the table it was gone. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com