Ammo Bag..

Started by Cash Creek, January 22, 2012, 11:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cash Creek

Give me some ideas on how to carry my ammo to the loading table that is PC..I use a small bag now but not sure if it PC for 1890?? ???
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire...handle with care.

St. George

Try a pair of saddlebags.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Cash Creek

I have the saddlebags..what I was talking about is the 15 or 20 pieces of ammo (depending on class) that  you carry from your saddlebags to the loadings tables..CC
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire...handle with care.

Cliff Fendley

Cartridge belt.

As long as the rifle and pistol are the same caliber I load off of my belt. Reload the belt sometime during the match.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Tascosa Joe

NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Pancho Peacemaker

Cash,

I have some small leather tobacco pouches with draw strings.  I hang the draw string over the handle of my belt knife.

They were made by Peterson Leather and I won them as a door prize.  I have 3 of them and only need one. 

PM me your mainling address and I'll  send you one.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

River City John

I use Cheyenne's cartridge boxes on which I have affixed period labels. There are period labels on our website available for download to your favorite graphics program.

There was a reprint of an article that showed how to make your own correct cartridge boxes out of cardboard and then wrap with paper and affix labels about three issues ago in The Shootist. I don't have the issue in front of me so I can't give you specific date.
Be sure to lightly overspray your boxes with dull finish for a bit of moisture protection. My boxes have lasted seven shooting seasons so far, and though getting a bit soiled, are holding up well. Do not leave them out in the rain, of course, but those that I've gotten damp from a mist dried out fine. The only downside is that occasionally you'll forget to pick it up from the loading table after you've shot and have to go back and get it.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Ima Sure Shot

Civil War Jack makes a turtle shell pouch that is beautiful and unique for this.  He is making one to include with the 1858 Rem for which Johnson County Rangers are taking donations .  For those that do not know.  Civil War  Jack is a direct decendant of Daniel Boone.  Daniel was captured and kept for several months by the Indians (Shawnee I think)  and the chief (it was Chief Blackfish I believe) gave him an Indidan name,"Sheltowee".  Sheltowee is translated ,"Big Turtle."  There is a hiking trail that goes across Kentucky in the Daniel Boone National Forest  from Tenn. line to Ohio River and follows the old, "warriors path" the Indian tribes used. It is named the,"The Sheltowee Trace." The markers for the trail are a stenciled turtle on the trees.  Maybe if you are lucky and get the Rem, two kirst conversions cylinders (a 45 and a 22) holster, and belt, handcast round balls and Turtle Shell Pouch, Civil War Jack will sign the pouch for you. He is also going to do a seminar on how to make one at the Convention I believe. Celeste

Cash Creek

Thanks for all the answer, Pancho took care to get me the right ammo bag that is PC... he just sent me his..
Thanks Pancho..
CC

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi,

I used to have an old cloth bag about three-four inches by about 9-10 inches ... with a cinch draw seam and leather rawhide cinch.

The bag would hold 120 casings or so of .45 Schofield, and the rawhide cinch part of the bag would loop around my knife handle so it was always handy.

But to carry the unspent .45 rounds, I would suggest a 2X4 with 16 or so (i.e. two rows of eight) holes at about 9/16 (9/16=1.43 cm ... and a Schofield rim is 1.31 cm). Varnished or painted as you see fit ...

You could load 5 each for the pistols and 10  each for your Winchester ..... That is, if you shoot .45  your own mileage may vary.
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Ima Sure Shot on January 23, 2012, 10:31:54 AM
Civil War Jack makes a turtle shell pouch that is beautiful and unique for this.  He is making one to include with the 1858 Rem for which Johnson County Rangers are taking donations .  For those that do not know.  Civil War  Jack is a direct decendant of Daniel Boone. Daniel was captured and kept for several months by the Indians (Shawnee I think)  and the chief (it was Chief Blackfish I believe) gave him an Indidan name,"Sheltowee".  Sheltowee is translated ,"Big Turtle."  There is a hiking trail that goes across Kentucky in the Daniel Boone National Forest  from Tenn. line to Ohio River and follows the old, "warriors path" the Indian tribes used. It is named the,"The Sheltowee Trace." The markers for the trail are a stenciled turtle on the trees.  Maybe if you are lucky and get the Rem, two kirst conversions cylinders (a 45 and a 22) holster, and belt, handcast round balls and Turtle Shell Pouch, Civil War Jack will sign the pouch for you. He is also going to do a seminar on how to make one at the Convention I believe. Celeste

Celeste, (Ima) WoW!

Talk about coincidence!!  Today is Tue, 24 Jan 2012.  One of our local stations shows the old Daniel Boone series (starring the late, great Fess Parker) and just LAST NIGHT, I watched the episode where Chief Blackfish has Daniel (but this takes place AFTER his 2 month capture by the tribe - Shoshone and after Dan'l and the Chief are friends) and calls him "Big Turtle" throughout the show!  This episode was shown originally in 1968 and guest-starred William Smith as Chief Blackfish.  By the way, it was (IMHO) one of the best Daniel Boone episodes I've seen so far. 
(I do LOVE my DVR!!)

WoW!  Talk about a co-inky-dink! (coincidence)

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

joec

I use the cartridge belt for my holster both made by Cliff Fendley. It carries 30 rounds of 45 Colt which both my rifle and pistols shoot. I carry the bulk of my ammo in period correct labeled boxes in some saddle bags that I park where I sit.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Ima Sure Shot

Steelhorse, Fess Parker and Daniel Boone!!!! Why do you get all the good TV.?Ima

Civil War Jack

It is a shame that old Fess Parker wore a fur hat because Daniel Boone frowned upon them as uncivilized.  That show has done more to promote his legend but also promote errors. I spent 4 years looking at a statue of great-great-great-great-great grandpa Daniel wearing a coonskin cap at Eastern Ky University, looks like they would have researched that fact prior to constructing his statue.  I have to admit it is still fun to watch Fess because he is my hero and the world is safe and secure-sort of.

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Ima Sure Shot on January 24, 2012, 05:34:36 PM
Steelhorse, Fess Parker and Daniel Boone!!!! Why do you get all the good TV.?Ima

Just lucky, I guess!  I kinda wish they'd show the old Davey Crockett shows, too.

Quote from: Civil War Jack on January 24, 2012, 08:35:30 PM
It is a shame that old Fess Parker wore a fur hat because Daniel Boone frowned upon them as uncivilized.  That show has done more to promote his legend but also promote errors. I spent 4 years looking at a statue of great-great-great-great-great grandpa Daniel wearing a coonskin cap at Eastern Ky University, looks like they would have researched that fact prior to constructing his statue.  I have to admit it is still fun to watch Fess because he is my hero and the world is safe and secure-sort of.

After I have watched these shows, I can see that MANY  some uh ... myths are shown as fact, however.  I sure didn't know about what MAY be the #1 myth ... the coonskin cap, 'tho!  And it's interesting to see the many things that are (in modern terms) Politically Correct and play fast and loose with facts shown in the shows.  I'd love to hear more about your great-great-great-great-great grandpa Daniel.

I was very sorry when Fess died in 2010.  R.I.P.

Supposedly (Family legend/lore/myth) my Mother's side of the family (Jackson) were distantly related.  The closest I have ever come to anything like truth regarding that is that they did come up from Eastern Kentucky, which is at least where some of the Boone legend originates or happens.  I'm not big on Family History Research because all of the oldtimers who knew the NAMES needed to start tracing are long gone.   Plus, I did look into the other (and stronger) legend of family relationship, and found that it WAS, in fact, only lore and legend ... not fact.  When I found this out and started talking about the (now false) family legend, I found it wasn't welcome and better left as "Family History" but without proof.
;)

Few cared, anyway.  (Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson was the other rumoured relation.)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Civil War Jack

With the use of Ancestry.com, family research has become easier.  Just make sure that documentation is available and not rely only on "family trees".  Disdain for fur hats is documented in "My Father, Daniel Boone: The Draper Interviews with Nathan Boone" also well as numerous times hearing such info. 

Cliff Fendley

I forget how but Daniel Boone's wife is kin to my Grandfathers, Mothers side of the family.

I never knew about the coon skin cap thing until a couple weeks ago when my 9 year old son informed me Daniel Boone never wore one and now Civil War Jack backs him up on it. My boy has been doing a bunch of reading on Daniel Boone for something in school.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

G.W. Strong

Quote from: River City John on January 23, 2012, 10:23:38 AM
I use Cheyenne's cartridge boxes on which I have affixed period labels. There are period labels on our website available for download to your favorite graphics program.

There was a reprint of an article that showed how to make your own correct cartridge boxes out of cardboard and then wrap with paper and affix labels about three issues ago in The Shootist. I don't have the issue in front of me so I can't give you specific date.
Be sure to lightly overspray your boxes with dull finish for a bit of moisture protection. My boxes have lasted seven shooting seasons so far, and though getting a bit soiled, are holding up well. Do not leave them out in the rain, of course, but those that I've gotten damp from a mist dried out fine. The only downside is that occasionally you'll forget to pick it up from the loading table after you've shot and have to go back and get it.

RCJ

I woudl very much love to see this article. Can anyone share the info? I am working on making PC cartridge boxes for my military impression.
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

G.W. Strong

Quote from: River City John on January 23, 2012, 10:23:38 AM

What website is that?
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

River City John

Quote from: Hopalong Strong on January 31, 2012, 01:41:54 PM
What website is that?

www.ncows.org/labels_ammo.html

Sounds like you need to consider joining NCOWS, Hopalong, if you already haven't. We're a shooting organization with an emphasis on historical accuracy.

The article in question, by Blair Taylor, is in the January-February 2010 issue of The Shootist, our national magazine. (Which itself is a reprint that originally appeared in the March-April 2000 issue.)

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com