How do you prime the brass?

Started by Shenandoah, January 18, 2012, 07:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shenandoah

I've been using a Lee hand loader along with a Lee single stage turret press for the past 20 years. I have the Lyman dies for the cases (56-50), but Lee doesn't make a collet (for the hand primer) for the Spencer rounds to prime the brass.

How do you all prime the brass?

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Different caliber, the .45-75, but I have to prime on the press as the opening at the top of the LEE priming tool is too narrow.

Get the LEE Ram-prime set;

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=gmail&rls=gm&q=lee+ram+prime&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12744386350972368599&sa=X&ei=8nEXT92UHsOIiALvutyoBA&ved=0CDMQ8wIwAQ
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Tuolumne Lawman

Ido all my reloading on a LEE turret press, including when I loaded for the 56-56 and 56-50 Spencers.  I used a 50-70 shell holder, and primed on the down stroke after the sizing stroke, before the expander die strike using the LARGE primer arm that swings into place.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Jbar4Ranch

I use a Lyman shell holder with the foot cut off in my Lee tool... then I found it was slightly too big to fit... so I ground it down a tad with a Dremel... then I found, like Sir Charles, the shell is too large to fit into the tool... a bit more work with the Dremel, and I was in business.

FriscoCounty

I consider de-priming and priming to be brainless pastimes well suited for combining with that other mindless pastime - watching TV.  I also like to de-prime before tumbling. 

For de-priming I use either a Lyman 310 with a universal de-primer (I have one for .38, .44, and .45 sized straight walled cases) or a Lee hand press for cases that the Lyman 310 won't accommodate easily - like the .45-75. 

For priming I generally use a Lee auto-prime I've had for close to 40 years. For cases that the auto-prime doesn't support, like those nifty 12 gauge brass shot shells, I used to just do it on the bench press while I was reloading.  However, I recently got the RCBS Hand Priming tool.  It uses standard RCBS and compatible shell holders.  It works well.  Although changing shell holders is not a simple as I would like.  The number of parts involved and needing juggling during the exercise requires diligent concentration.
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

Shenandoah

Thanks JBar. That sounds like a route I need to take.

I have been reloading for about 20 years (not including muzzle loading). The 56-50 is not a common caliber and it has its challenges. I think I'm going to like it. I just ordered a shell holder for the Lyman dies I had (I assumed there was one included in the die set). Now it looks like I'll have to order another one and machine it to fit.

Frisco, while I was typing this reply, you posted. Does the RCBS have a shell holder that fits the 56-50?

Here is a handy chart.  I didn't see the .56-50.  But if your basic case is .348 WCF, you're covered.  The RCBS #31 is for .50-70, but RCBS says it is a special order item.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/shellholders.asp

bowiemaker

I have a RCBS universal hand primer that has a spring loaded gizmo that works with any cartridge rather than needing individual shell holders. It works great once you get the hang of it. I like it a LOT better than my Lee hand primer as the RCBS has a lot more leverage.
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

FriscoCounty

Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on January 20, 2012, 03:10:57 PM
Here is a handy chart.  I didn't see the .56-50.  But if your basic case is .348 WCF, you're covered.  The RCBS #31 is for .50-70, but RCBS says it is a special order item.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/shellholders.asp

Lyman shows their #22 shellholder for use with the .56-50. Midway and Track of the Wolf both show it in stock.  The Lyman #22 shellholder also is used for .50-70 and .50-90 cases.
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

Shenandoah

Frisco:

The 22 Lyman (I just got one in the mail today) fits the turret press, but not the hand held primer. But, I got a chance to measure it and JBar's suggestion will work. I need to order another one and grind off the bottom ring. then I can put it on a spindle and round it off with a grindstone.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Also, I got a call Friday about the backordered carbine. I'll call them Monday, it may be back in stock.  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) 

Things seem to be falling in place.  ;D

FriscoCounty

Yes, a loading press shellholder won't fit the Lee auto-prime, you need to get one of their auto-prime shellholders or modify an loading press shellholder to fit.  The RCBS hand primer does use the same shellholders as loading presses.

Lee doesn't make a shellholder for its auto-prime that will fit the .56-60.  The rim is very wide, you might want to take some measurements to make sure it can be adapted to fit the auto-prime and still be in one piece. 

I purchased the RCBS hand primer in order to prime brass shotgun shells.  No amount of modification would adapt the 12 ga. shellholder to fit in the Lee auto-prime.  Well, I suppose someone might figure out how to do it, but ...

Shenandoah

I have another Lyman shellholder on order from track. It's good to know if I can't modify it, an RCBS hand primer should work.

Thansk for all the advice. My carbine is enroute from TX.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

wolflobo76

Yes the Lyman #22 is the shell holder I use in my Lyman single stage press with my 4D dies when I deprime and prime for my 56/56 carbine.

Capt'n Jack

I have a Lee priming tool that installs like a die and uses the shellholder from the die set.  I also load 50/70 so already had that shell holder.  I think I paid about 12 dollars for the priming tool which is used in my portable reloading kit.
Capt'n Jack was my great great grandfather, a Captain of the Ky Cavalry in the Civil War.  He lived to a ripe old age.

Quote from: Capt'n Jack on March 06, 2012, 03:11:41 PM
I have a Lee priming tool that installs like a die and uses the shellholder from the die set.  I also load 50/70 so already had that shell holder.  I think I paid about 12 dollars for the priming tool which is used in my portable reloading kit.

I just got mine;  It makes the LEE handpress into a very versatile hand priming tool as well. 8)

Preston County Rider

OK - don't mean to hijack this thread, but just got the Starline 56-50 brass and it works in my rifle conversion - great info on priming the cases - OK - what primer do you all use? I do all my BP CAS loading with large pistol (WLP) and my long guns with large rifle - what should I use for the 56-50?

I know - but I had to ask!

PCR

Shenandoah

matt45

...and if you are shooting Black powder or a substitut, I have found the large rifle magnum primers do a little better on the accuracy side

Herbert

With black powder I have got much better acuracy with LPP and a under primer wad

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com