Autopsy, I like it!

Started by Slowhand Bob, January 15, 2012, 12:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowhand Bob

Not for sure who coined the term autopsy for patterning from an existing example but I like it, then I am a nut for the zombie movies also!  Got my hands on another classic and decided to autopsy it today BUT sometimes conditions require that we not butcher our models.  My old method involved rolling a manilla folder around the holster and holding everything as smooth and form fitting as possible while trying to work inside the roll with a pencil and it works, sorta.  I like my new method better and if you have not already discovered it you might like to give it a try.  With supplies at hand and working carefully  you can duplicate this in about thirty minutes while using some care.  The pictures are pretty much self explanatory and the tape is the blue painters masking tape, removes easily and leaves no residue behind.  A quick wipe down afterwards and the holster shows no signs of what I done.

Slowhand Bob

I trimmed it to fit with a concave curved blade clicker knife.  Probably the most touchy part is to peel this pattern off without tearing or separating the layers, use care and take your time.  When you have it off you then carefully apply it to your preferred pattern making material, here I used a manilla folder.  Next do a light pencil outline as tight as you can without getting on top of the tape and losing your marks.   Look close and you might see my first outline on the manilla before removing the tape.

Next I use a set of French curves to retrace and darken those lines while using care not to grow them.   Remember the leather has already grown from the originals pattern anyway and that growth wasn't proportional so even this is not an exact science.  While doing this last pattern I had the original laying beside my work to correct any possible errors in the trimming and tracing.  Look real close and you will even see some variation between the two edges that will become the mainseam, this is corrected while cutting the pattern (bookmarking those edges).  You can see many of the notes in the pattern that come from measurements made on the original.   Be careful and you can return the item to its owner within the hour, no worse for the wear!  Do you recognise this one from its patterns?    

Eloy Santa Cruz

Great idea! I've tried the "wrapping" method but still had problems acheiving accuracy. Had to do alot of tweaking to get it right.
My monikor comes from my family's former ranch Santa Cruz Farms located outside Eloy, Arizona. The Santa Cruz river runs through the land.
    " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them" ---John Wayne in "The Shootist"

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Quote from: Slowhand Bob on January 15, 2012, 12:36:08 PM
Not for sure who coined the term autopsy for patterning from an existing example but I like it, then I am a nut for the zombie movies also!  Got my hands on another classic and decided to autopsy it today BUT sometimes conditions require that we not butcher our models.  My old method involved rolling a manilla folder around the holster and holding everything as smooth and form fitting as possible while trying to work inside the roll with a pencil and it works, sorta.  I like my new method better and if you have not already discovered it you might like to give it a try.  With supplies at hand and working carefully  you can duplicate this in about thirty minutes while using some care.  The pictures are pretty much self explanatory and the tape is the blue painters masking tape, removes easily and leaves no residue behind.  A quick wipe down afterwards and the holster shows no signs of what I done.

Me

Dalton Masterson

Great idea Bob. How does it work on the old rotten holsters we come across? Any residue or lifting with them??

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

WaddWatsonEllis

I make copies of the patterns that I get, glue/decoupage them onto plywood and cut the pattern out on a bandsaw .... that way I can make as many holsters as I wish with the same plywood 'templates' ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Massive

Don't much like the word, sounds like someone died and we need to mess around inside to find out why.  What's wrong with "copy".  :)

I do like the results thought, thanks for another interesting pattern!  What is it?

Slowhand Bob

DM, I have not worked on anything that old but would bet a dollar to a doughnut that the Smithsonian will not allow you to do it on theirs!  Wadd, at some point I always rendered my favourite patterns to clicker cutters.  Massive, sorry but nothing is sacred any longer, as the mummy said in the end, "Death is just the beginning!".  Sadly the wife says I already look like a Zombie in the mornings.    :o

Seriously guys, you need to remember that though you are creating an exact duplicate from an original it is not the same pattern that was used for the original.  Many, if not most holsters go through wet forming and fitting and stamping and etc etc, all of which change the original outline that was cut.  Its a great starting point but sometimes we will need to do some extensive, Duke here comes my new analogy, plastic surgery to get it just right. 

Still no guesses on this second Bianc  OH OH OH, forget I said that, what holster is this second pattern of.  I'll bet some of the old timers here have used one and some might even still have their old one stuck back somewhere.

Massive

Looks like the Chapman, I just bought one, but it will be months before I get it freight forwarded from the US, so that is just a guess.

Slowhand Bob

Thats it Massive and there is a beautiful one listed on ebay right now, supposedly as 'new'.  Do not let the current price fool ya as the beaters seem to go for over a hundred now days and I have not seen one this nice in years.  I do believe that one as nice as this will be purchased by a collector and not used and probably as it should be.

I laminated this one yesterday and hope to fold/sew it today but it will then join the pile waiting for the sight track molds. I will also photo it before the wait.  I was told they would be ready either Sunday or Monday but its Tuesday morning and I am still a chomping.  I am finally going to break down and add a vacuum forming machine also but there is no way it could handle this heavy a project.  If I run into any technical problems I will be here begging for help.  Til then.

Slowhand Bob

Right now, metal fixtures in place, future bends have been lightly skived and glued to liner.  This one is also made from the lowest price leather I can find for making a prototype.  I think the wife has plans for my day so will hopefully get back to it tomorrow.

JD Alan

Lookin good Robby, knock it out of the park (all the way to Oregon ;D)
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Slowhand Bob

Massive, God intended for you to have that one as I had my sights set square on it.  Boy did I talk ugly when I missed that one.  ???  It is a traditional very traditional color while the one listed now is not.

JD, its been a long time since this old boy has hit a run but I will keep trying!   ;)

Massive

It was Buy it now.  I was surprised to get it... ;D

Slowhand Bob

You got way beyond a bargain on that one.  The one thing I do not like on the design is the tension device, though it does work, I recommend findinga shorter 8-32 screw to replace and disable it.  This is a really multi-talented holster, makes a great high-ride competition holster for any practical category, it is good for most daily wear and has penty enuff cant to go crossdraw.    If you plan to play SASS with it be sure and find straight hanging mag pouches for it, as the originals I always see it with were made to hang with a slight V and I was told "no" on this one. 

My buddy has still not gotten back to me on the male half of the sight press, which requires some spot welding for assembly.     

Massive

What is the problem does the tension screw stick out to the inside, or get loose?  One option if the holster needed a boost, would be to just custom fit the screw so that it applies the correct pressure when bottomed out.  Obviously not an adjustable tension rig, but a rig that would be OK given that we are all handy.

Wood that make sense?

Slowhand Bob

With a short screw you are pulling the tension away from the gun as you tighten it because it never bottoms on the bearing plate.  My experience with this style is that it seems to require more fiddling to get it right than the ones working on the outside of the guns frame, trigger guard, whatever.  Also note that this style never became as popular as the external edge pinch style.  Got to go now as my buddy called last night to let me know my forms were ready.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com