Pistol advice...

Started by LazyK Pejay, August 26, 2005, 02:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LazyK Pejay

Hey all,

I went to my local Gander Mountain to pay on my layaway for my Uberti Cattleman Millinium. I spent some time just looking and checked out a Baretta. Anyhow I am thinking of spending a bit more and get a more regulation looking 1873 Colt copy (The Uberti has a brass grip fram and trigger guard). Here are the two pistols I am considering:

EAA 770095 Bounty Hunter (CCB) 4& 3/4 .45 cal $320.00

Baretta JEA 1401 Stampede (Charcoal) 4&3/4 .45 cal  $462.00

I looked at a Baretta Stampede 7.5" and really checked out the transfer silde system. I think want some more "traditional." Any comments welcome. Thx.

LazyK Pejay

P.S. They had a used US Arms 4.5 .45 cal for $675.00...felt great but more money than I want to spend.

RRio

Quote from: LazyK Pejay on August 26, 2005, 02:27:50 PM

I looked at a Baretta Stampede 7.5" and really checked out the transfer silde system. I think want some more "traditional." Any comments welcome. Thx.

LazyK Pejay

P.S. They had a used US Arms 4.5 .45 cal for $675.00...fely great but more money than I want to spend.

Talk to the Marshal about the CasCity Gunshop. I understand he carries Cimarron and Charles Daly, which would be more to your likings.
As a pistolsmith, I can say you made a wise decision passing on the other two you looked at. While the EAA is a strong gun, it is a little bigger frame (not much, but enough that I don't care for it), and the Beretta, I'm not sure if they have worked out the timing problems yet. JMHO
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it"  - Capt. Woodrow Call

"Proud citizen of CasCity since 2004." 
NCOWS 2492  SASS 22927   SCORRS     USFACS #28       GAF #267 Dept. of the Platte  AZ        STORM #178

LazyK Pejay

RawHide,

Are you saying that the transfer system on the Beretta causes a slight delay between full rear trigger and ignition? My problem is I have already invested money in Gander Mt. and they don't carry Daly or Cimarron. Also, I think the EAA has a transfer slide? Are you saying that the EAA just feels bigger to you or does not look right? In dollar for dollar & bang for your buck some reviewers say the EAA is the best buy. Also may say the Beretta is a beaut to look at. Thx for answering so many questions!

LazyK Pejay

Badlands Walker

Here's some good pistol advice Pejay.  Git' a different one for each day of the week & one for each month of the year!

That's what I plan to do!

Four-Eyed Buck

PJ, The t-bar systems can at times have jams or possibly break the linkage inside. Usually theres a spring plunger in the end of the cylinder pin and if it fails or sticks, the bar jambs under the pin instead of being moved out a skosh to clear it. If it's forced with enough pressure the linkage could break.
The EAA's have been noted as doing that, although I have two and didn't have that problem.....yet. I've also seen posts about Ruger bars breaking as well.
You mentioned a U.S. Arms, did you mean USFA? At that price used maybe it is, otherwise, that's somewhat high for a used Sa that more than likely was an Italian import. If it is a USFA and isn't a Rodeo, it might be worth a look as it is a more traditional setup....Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Big John Denny

LazkK; the EAA is a bigger framed gun then the Colt, or clone, SAA. It's more on the size of a Ruger.

Like Four Eyed said about the USFA, if it's not a Rodeo.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

R D Henry

I'm not sure what they're selling for these days, but you might want to check out the Great Western II. I bought mine about 2yrs ago, and love em!  ;)   (4 3/4 nickle ivory grip 45's)

They're made by Pietta, imported by EMF, and shoot better than I can!  ::)  In fact, they are so damn accurate, and smooth to shoot, I just about retired my 3rd gen Colts.
I know I have the right to remain silent, I just don't have the ability.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
SASS #27663...WartHog

Badlands Walker

I looked at a Great Western II at a local gunshop about a month ago & he was askin' $675.

RRio

Quote from: LazyK Pejay on August 26, 2005, 03:44:35 PM
RawHide,

Are you saying that the transfer system on the Beretta causes a slight delay between full rear trigger and ignition? My problem is I have already invested money in Gander Mt. and they don't carry Daly or Cimarron. Also, I think the EAA has a transfer slide? Are you saying that the EAA just feels bigger to you or does not look right? In dollar for dollar & bang for your buck some reviewers say the EAA is the best buy. Also may say the Beretta is a beaut to look at. Thx for answering so many questions!

LazyK Pejay

No, cylinder lock up. They've had problems with it in the past.

NCOWS 2492  SASS 22927   SCORRS     USFACS #28       GAF #267 Dept. of the Platte  AZ        STORM #178

LazyK Pejay

Good mornin' all,

The pistol I was describing is a Rodeo. I do not know what extras came with this used pistol as the basic Rodeo is in the $550.00 range? This has the black grips with the US on them. It just seemed high for a used pistol. I may go out to Gander MT and make a decision on my Uberti on layaway. I am thinking it might be smart to keep it as I am just starting. Thx for the help and have a great weekend.

LazyK Pejay

LazyK Pejay

Final followup:

I spent 2 hours at Gander MT this worning. I took my hardly ever used black Colt Dectective Special in to trade on my pistol. It was great! They actually gave me $35.00 more than I paid for it four years ago; plus a tax credit on it. I had on layaway the Uberti Cattleman Millinium (with brass). They zeroed that layway and gave me $129.99 I had put down (no restock fee). The manager  told me they had just gotten in the Uberti Cattleman 5.5" .45 cal with case hardened frame. It was $467.00 dollars. I liked it and bought it. I bought an extra year warranty ($19.95) plus a box (50 rounds) Megtech 250 grain L-flat cartridges ($22.95).

When all was said and done. I shelled out $148.61 and my trade. The pistol looks great and feels good also 'cept now I have to by a 5 & 3/8" holster unless I want .75 " sticking out the bottom. Thx again for all of your help. It is much appreciated.

LazyK Pejay

RRio

Sounds like ya did durn good there, LazyK!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com