To line or not to line?

Started by daddyeaux, January 12, 2012, 05:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daddyeaux

What is the W&C Leather you guys are mentioning? I am looking for a good supply for leather other than TLC.

ChuckBurrows

Wickett & Craig -  they sell direct from the tannery with no minimums required
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

KidTerico

I line all my holsters unless I am going for the old PC look.When talkink about pros and cons I keep hearing COST. You use 2 times as much leather and I make contour belts which is 2 times more again .  This raises the cost greatly. I like contour belts when broke in . The most comfortable belt I own was made for me by TW. It is a money belt. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Cliff Fendley

I agree the most comfortable belts ARE money belts. I wear a 3 1/2 inch one myself. The fact they are wide and thin I believe is why they are so comfortable.

I have found wider belts are more comfortable and they get stiff and less comfortable when you get the total thickness over 8-9 oz.

That's why if they want a lined belt I tend to lean people toward a money belt.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

KidTerico

Cliff when I make a rig lined I use 5 oz inside and outside .When carving or stamping I use 7/8 oz out side and line with 4oz. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Springfield Slim

I use W&C 12 oz leather for all my cowboy action holsters and after wet molding they are plenty stiff. It is more difficult to cut and sew than the softer Tandy quality leather but you have to live with it. My current personal holsters I have used for 5 years and show no sign of getting softer. I haven't noticed any bluing wear either. I used a lined holster for years when I was an LEO and it did have bluing wear. I don't line my holsters as most of the old time holsters were not lined and that is the look I am going for. I have to disagree, lining does not a quality holster make, it is materials and workmanship. That is like saying if your car does not have leather seats is is not a quality car. IMHO
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com