Any update on Starline Brass?

Started by Shenandoah, January 07, 2012, 08:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shenandoah

Anyone have an update on the brass availability. Starline says 1/6/2012 availability (yesterday). I have 250 rounds back-ordered and I was wondering if anyone had any inside info?

Edited to add, the website still says back-ordered until 1/6/2012.

Sean Thornton

They called me and said that they had it in stock and wanted to know if I still wanted the 250 I had ordered.
"Victory thru rapid fire"
National Henry Rifle Company"
SASS 5042 LTGR

Two Flints

Hello,

What caliber brass are we discussing?  56-50 or 50-70? 

The newest member of SSS stated that he uses 50-90 brass and a Rapine .546 mould when reloading for his original Spencer.  I assume he has to cut it way down to the correct length for his Spencer, but he gave no detailed information.  Any one else using 50-90 brass for their Spencer?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Shenandoah

It's the 56-50 brass. I'm not interested in cutting other brass to fireform these cartridges (the 56-50 carbines are still not available through Taylors and I've got one on backorder).

Shenandoah

Sean:

Did you order through Starline or Track?

Two Flints

Visited Midway, and Track and they both show long, long wait periods for 56-50 Starline brass; The Starline Company doesn't show a wait period, but there appears to be a minimum order of 250 pieces.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Shenandoah

Track was supposed to have the brass in early Dec and changed their date to 1/6/12. I'll call them Monday, I was just interested if anyone had updated info. Maybe Starline has it enroute to Track?????????n

Sean Thornton

I ordered directly from Starline about a year ago.
"Victory thru rapid fire"
National Henry Rifle Company"
SASS 5042 LTGR

Shenandoah

I got antsy. Actually my daughter had ordered the brass from Track last Oct for my proposed 56-50 carbine I ordered for Christmas. Of course the carbine is also on backorder.

So I went to the Starline site and ordered another 250 rounds. 500 rounds will last me for a while (I have already cast and lubed about 1k bullets).

Now I need to work on getting new grips for my 44 Russian open top.

Shenandoah

PvtGreg

I bet they only do runs once a year - back in March and June I picked up 50 each time.  By August it was all gone.

Now I have 100 Starline, 100 Cut from 32 gauge brass, and 100 from 8mm Lebel. 
Cost respectively was $1.05 a piece, $.78 a piece and $68 a piece.

Shenandoah

Those 8mm Lebels are expensive.   ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: PvtGreg on January 07, 2012, 04:25:00 PM
I bet they only do runs once a year - back in March and June I picked up 50 each time.  By August it was all gone.

Now I have 100 Starline, 100 Cut from 32 gauge brass, and 100 from 8mm Lebel. 
Cost respectively was $1.05 a piece, $.78 a piece and $68 a piece.

PvtGreg

Shenandoah

JK, you had a typo. It said $68 each.

PvtGreg

Wow - sure did.  That would be expensive!!  It was actually .63 - 100 for 45 and 50 for $50.  the last $50 was an inadvertent bid on gunbroker.

I like the Lebel brass its very heavy duty and is good after some work.

Jack Wagon

I've got 100 Starline 56-50 brass en route from Track of the Wolf. $101. plus shipping and insurance. I have to expand the mouths to .520 to accept my bullet. I wonder if annealing would extend their life? I'm getting 8 to 10 loading before they start to crack at the mouth. Anyway, better get'em while you can before the supply dries up again.  JW
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Herbert

Annealing defintly extends case life,I load a .525 bullet in mine for a original carbine,the only problem is that after shooting in the originals 5 or 6 times they will no longer fit in the Armi Sports chamber no matter how much you resize them

Dana

Midway notified me today that my order of 56/50 brass is on its way. I have had it on back-order for about 10 months. The lady said I was one of few that will receive there orders.

Shenandoah

I got 250 rounds today. 250 expected tomorrow.  :D :D :D :D

I'm probably the only one here with rounds and no carbne.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Two Flints

Shenandoah,

Scroll down the link, two Spencers for sale at Dave Taylor's Antiques.  Not Civil War types.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/civilwarantiques/120114webcat.html

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Roscoe Coles

I did my regular check for 56-50 brass at Midway yesterday and low and behold, they said they had it in stock (20 count, no 100s).  I ordered some up, and I don't know how much they have left, but if you are looking for it, give them a call.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com