Some interesting paintings

Started by bowiemaker, January 05, 2012, 05:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowiemaker

My friend Richard Luce is a professional artist who specializes in old west and historical paintings. He does a great deal of research for accuracy. I thought you might like to see a couple.

1.         Lieut. Col. George Custer

2.        1st Lieut. W.W. Cooke

3.        "Handsome Jack"

4.        1st Lieut. Algernon Smith

5.        Capt. Tom Custer

6.       Capt. George Yates

7.       Boston Custer

8.        Autie Reed

9.        Sgt. Major William Sharrow

Soldiers of F company - Black Hats
Soldiers of C company - Gray Hats
Some Officers had straw hats
Headquarters group could have anything

"Custer's Last Command"

In the painting I show the point in the battle when the Indians have most likely destroyed Lieut. Calhoun's and Capt. Keogh's positions and are surrounding Custer and his headquarters group. His brother Tom and remnants of Company C along with Company F under Capt. Yates are also shown. Also included are Lieuts. William Cooke and Algernon Smith along with Sgt. Major Sharrow. Custer's youngest brother Boston Custer, and nephew Autie Reed are shown but were later found at the bottom of the hill in a futile attempt at escape. Most of the soldiers shown are from F Company who wore black hats and rode bay horses. However recent findings suggest that most if not all of their horses were run off by the Indians. Company C wore gray hats and rode light sorrel horses and Company E wore gray hats and rode gray horses. I have included these as well as "Vic" Custer's sorrel horse. Most of the dead horses found on the hill were from C and E troops. Many of the officers and soldiers wore frontier style clothing while in the field and some wore shirts similar to those of the Custer clan. It was a blue wool bib front shirt with piping.

Some officers had a personal preference in weapons. Lieut. Cooke used a .45/70 infantry rifle instead of a carbine. Capt. Yates preferred a .44 cal. Smith & Wesson over the standard issue Colt. George and Tom used Webley Bulldog revolvers. In the painting I have Boston Custer firing a Sharps hunting rifle belonging to his brother. Autie Reed has picked up a carbine but being so young and inexperienced is not firing. The army issue bullets were copper cased and caused a problem by sometimes splitting and getting stuck in the breech. They then had to be dug out with a knife as one soldier is doing.

The gunsmoke and dust were very thick making it difficult to see and breath. The Indians fired bullets and arrows into the dust cloud from every direction until the final rush at the end.

Richard Luce

NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Rube Burrows

Maybe im missing it but I dont see any paintings.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

bowiemaker

I do not know why, but sometimes they show up and sometimes not. If not, try right-clicking the red X and choose "show picture". Otherwise you can see them at http://www.richardluce.com/historical.htm
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Gun Creek Phil

Very, very nice paintings. I will share this link with my pards on our French Western action Shooting and Old West forum. :D
Gun Creek Phil
Old West Historical Forum (FRANCE)
http://oldwestory.1fr1.net/forum

" Fast is fine but accuracy is everything " Wyatt Earp.
"Je voudrais ton 32 Bob" Little Bill Dagget in Unforgiven

Rube Burrows

Quote from: bowiemaker on January 05, 2012, 09:29:54 PM
I do not know why, but sometimes they show up and sometimes not. If not, try right-clicking the red X and choose "show picture". Otherwise you can see them at http://www.richardluce.com/historical.htm

No red X's on my end either. Hmmmmm
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

GunClick Rick

I like that buffler bones one,End of an Era! Boy a true artist for sure...Thanks wish i could afford an original..
Bunch a ole scudders!

Steel Horse Bailey

Excellent artwork!  Thanks for posting, BowieMan!

I have seen the one titled "Custer's Last Command." 

Like GunC Rick, I wish I could afford an original.  They are VERY well priced, considering the talent, authenticity, and such!  Well worth the money ... if I could!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

bowiemaker

Richard has several time participated in the annual march following the path of the Overmountain Men March from Abingdon, VA to Kings Mountain, NC where they renact the battle of Kings Mountain, a turning point in the Revolutionary War. He is doing a famstastic series of paintings about that.

On some of his paintings, like the Alamo, he has spent up to a year reserching details before he paints. I really admire his dedication to accuracy as well as his artitic talent.

I have been trying to get him to come out and shoot with us.
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

liten

a very clever artist!    but a bit pricey

Abilene

Well dang, checked this post yesterday and again today, no pics, no red X's, no spaces where pics would be, just the numbers and names.  ???

Update: I'm using Opera web browser (which usually gets all the pics and features fine).  When I opened Cascity and this post with Internet Explorer I get two red X's just above #1, and one red X at the very bottom, but still no pics.

bowiemaker

NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

bowiemaker

NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Abilene

Thank you, Bowiemaker.  The guy is an amazing talent.  I bookmarked that page so I can go back and look slowly.

By the way, in the messages in this topic that show up below this reply box as I type this, one of the pictures shows up, the first one of Custer.  Crazy confusers.

Update: now I get the first and last pictures  :D  It's getting better.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com