Hey Forty Rod

Started by GunClick Rick, December 25, 2011, 01:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunClick Rick

How's mama???Hope all is better.
Bunch a ole scudders!

Forty Rod

She's improving, thanks.  Blood tests every two or three days, still getting her meds sorted out, not going back to work for a while yet.  Her boss is paying her while she's gone and not charging it off to vacation OR SICK TIME.

Biggest problem we have is a salt free, fat free, low sugar diet.  Where does somebody find this sort of thing?  Our local markets have low fat, but the rest is almost non-existant...or very pricey.

How have any of you dealt with this problem?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

GunClick Rick

Brown wheat bread,that's all i use,scrambled eggs for breakfast with oat meal.The part that is hard is the salt thing,there is salt in sugar,and sugar in salt.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Fat-Free-Salt-Free-Sugar-Free-Flavor-Full/dp/0895948583
Bunch a ole scudders!

GunClick Rick

Write to the folks at the Jim Bakker show.I know,bla bla bla,but he does have some great items and books that show eating good writtin by two doctors.I going to order some of the survival buckets of food...Just to have some.
Bunch a ole scudders!

Mako

Quote from: Forty Rod on December 28, 2011, 09:34:48 PM
She's improving, thanks.  Blood tests every two or three days, still getting her meds sorted out, not going back to work for a while yet.  Her boss is paying her while she's gone and not charging it off to vacation OR SICK TIME.

Biggest problem we have is a salt free, fat free, low sugar diet.  Where does somebody find thos sot of thing?  Our local markets have low fat, but the rest is almost non-existant...or very pricey.

How have any of you dealt with this problem?

Good to hear Forty Rod!

Sounds like you need some fresh unprepared food.  It tastes better too, doesn't need as much seasoning.  There are also some salt replacements that add flavor like "Vegit"  it uses herbs and vegetables to give flavor instead of salt.

http://www.amazon.com/Spike-Vegit-Gourmet-Natural-Seasoning/dp/B000Z8Z6W4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1325138058&sr=8-5

Sounds like you need to be taking care of here and doing the cooking.  It's really not hard and soon she'll be braggn' what a gourmet chef you've become.

I really glad to hear she's doing well. You'll both still be in our prayers.  My wife looked at me funny the other day when I reeled off a list of pardners aliases during a prayer.  I told her I honestly didn't know what their real names were.  I thought she would be used to that by now, I even call our realtor by his alias and she's used to that.

Best to you and the missus,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Forty Rod

I do about half the cooking now.

She's also allergic to eggs, can't have oatmeal of other cooked cereals, has to give up spinach, broccoli, etc (That's okay by me but she loves the stuff.), can't have grapefruit and much other citrus fruit, is restricted on such things as fruit juices, has to have fat-free milk (YUK!), and the list goes on.  If I could find salt free and sugar free I'd be happy.

BTW, most fruits have natural sugars and can throw her balance off.

She's also restricted to 1.5 liters of water a day because of edema related to CHF.....and she's been advised to eat three to five times a day to level out her blood chemistry.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Deadeye Dick

Forty Rod,
That sounds like a tough diet to follow. What is she able to eat? Probably some pretty mundane stuff.
Hang in there. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Tascosa Joe

Forty Rod:
The wife and I have been on a fresh food/low salt/low fat/low carb diet for about 3 months.  The salt subsitute they recommended to us is Morton's Lite Salt.  It still has some sodium but a lot more potassium.  I quit having leg cramps after using it for about a week.   Plus I have lost nearly 50# and the wife about 30.

Good Luck and God Bless.
T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Danny Bear Claw

Prayres up Forty Rod.  There is salt substitute.  It don't taste the same but does help.  Five or six small meals a day are better for a body than 2 or 3 big ones.  Check out diabetic cook books. 
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Forty Rod

Thanks.  I'll do some more poking around.  Doc says 1,000 mg salt a day, no legumes (gout), very low sugar and fat, reduced amounts of any beans and nuts, low wheat / gluten, decaf (that may kill her) coffee,  reduced use of chocolate and substitutes, etc.

So far we're down to bottled water and unleavened rice cakes.   ::)

GunClick Rick

Are you cir,,uh let me rephrase that,do you have a menorah? ;D ::)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Forty Rod

Yes I do, but I'm not Jewish.  The menorah was given to me by a close friend over 30 years ago. 

Is kosher salt free?  That's our biggest obstacle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com