Rifle Serial Number Check?

Started by DJ, December 23, 2011, 06:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ

My serial number lists are boxed up for an impending move so I can't check an M1860 rifle I recently encountered.  If Two Flints or someone else has his set available, I'd be interested to know if there's a match.
Serial number 2760, 3-band rifle.
Merry Christmas.
--DJ

Two Flints

Yup, an exact match.  #2760 was issued to a member of the 7th Independent Company Ohio Volunteers SS on February 25, 1863.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

DJ

Thanks, Two Flints.  And Dang.  It just went on Gunbroker, but at a price a little more than I could afford.  But sure would be nice to have an exact match gun someday.

--DJ

jstone5243

i have a spencer repeater and based on the information i have i THINK its a 64-65′ serial 57671 from what i can tell it had been redone at the sprinfield armory at some point as it has 3 rifled groves and the barrel looks to have been resleeved, im sure its a spencer as i can still read the boston marks but just about everything else is illegible im concered due to the shape of the gun...the wood appears almost to nice, it does have the cut off as well any possibility of finding its origins? are there alot of reproductions its been in the family at least 25 years that i can speak of im thinking another 25 as it was gifted to my grandfather walter stone by some museum.

Two Flints

Photos of your Spencer repeater would be nice to look at especially the receiver area - closeup and sharp! 

Do you have a carbine or rifle? 

Your serial # is a high one and I don't see any serial #s really close to yours to give you reasonably accurate history for it.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

cox0103

I have a spencer model 1860 rifle serial number 2311 and was wondering if anyone could give me any information on it?
Thanks
cox0103

Two Flints

Hi Cox0103,

The serial # I find in my SRS books that is closest to your Spencer Rifle serial #2311 is 2313, also a rifle and issued to a member of the 5th Independent Company Ohio  Volunteers in August 16, 1863. 

Spencer Rifles with serial #s above and below yours were also issued to the 5th and 7th Independent Companies of the Ohio Volunteers in 1863.  But, 2313 is the closest serial # match to yours.

Hope this helps.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

cox0103

Thanks for the information Two Flints!!  It nice to know a little history on the rifle. Also it is missing the magazine tube would anybody happen to know where I can find a original and around how much I should expect to spend when I do find one?

Two Flints

Why an original magazine tube?  S&S Firearms has Spencer magazine tubes and other Spencer accessories and parts.  Give them a look see.  Check out this link:

http://www.ssfirearms.com/products.asp?cat=150

Two Flints 

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

jstone5243

Thanks alot for looking ill upload some quality pics when I get home from work hope everyone has a safe holiday, im really exited to find out any history about it ill keep digging and ill post any additional info I can find I read only around 13000 spencers were refitted at springfield so maybe that will help
Ps. It is a carbine
Pss. Kinda funny when growing up I always thought it was decommissioned because no1 knew how to use the lever action it wasent till a few hours here and on google I figured out how the magazine cutoff work last night was the first time in probable 50 years thats the lever actions been used and it was silky smooth...sure dont build em like they used to :p

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com