Warthog???

Started by Buffler Razz, December 23, 2011, 09:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffler Razz

Ok, dumb question time. I get what a Noob is (saw one in the mirror this morning) but just what constitutes being a Warthog?

I started loading the one true powder in my 45 Colts a few months back after shooting a few stages with Tex, and am totally hooked. First I tried melting the crayola's from some smokeless bullets and hand lubing them with my homebrew from my flintlock rifles. Worked ok, but saw the need for the right components. The smoke and boom was great. Being publicly castigated (not castr...oh never mind)  by some of the gamers shooting pop guns made it even better. One even suggested cutting back on the powder and adding corn meal until I let him know I wasn't planning on making muffins!  ;D Anyway, now I have some Big Lube PRS's from Slim and can't wait to send them downrange. Next is loading up my shotshells.

Anyway, please help this Noob understand.

Thanks!
Buffler Razz

WARTHOG
SASS 90201
There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone. Everyone knows what they mean. What's more important is time that is known as the little dash in between.
Buffler Razz

john boy

Quote... but just what constitutes being a Warthog?

The Infamous WartHog Honor Roll at the home of WartHogs ... http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?board=9.0
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Buffler Razz

WARTHOG
SASS 90201
There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone. Everyone knows what they mean. What's more important is time that is known as the little dash in between.
Buffler Razz

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Sounds like U R 1 already.  A warthog that is.  Caliber beginning with a 4, and full service loads.

Go register and have loads of fun.  ;D ;D

And welcome to the Dark Side 8)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

pony express

Hust a hypothetical question: If you shoot a 38-40, which really SHOULD start with a 4 instead of a 3, can you be a real warthog, or maybe just a honorary one? Hypothetical, beacuse I don't have a 38-40 anyway.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Quote from: pony express on December 23, 2011, 06:21:49 PM
Hust a hypothetical question: If you shoot a 38-40, which really SHOULD start with a 4 instead of a 3, can you be a real warthog, or maybe just a honorary one? Hypothetical, beacuse I don't have a 38-40 anyway.

It is a real warthog caliber, not jes ornery!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Dick Dastardly

Should you seek Sootlord status, you will bring a newbie to the One True Powder.  In the meantime, enjoy the company of a very inclusive bunch of shooters.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

wildman1

So how do ya become a SootLord DD? WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: wildman1 on December 24, 2011, 06:30:38 AM
So how do ya become a SootLord DD? WM

Good question Wildman - Started two down the wicked path of shooting the holy black this last six months.  ;D
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

wildman1

I "introduce" someone to BP almost every week (every time I go to the range). WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Dick Dastardly

Since I posted this Sootlord thing, I'll explain.  You become a recognized Sootlord by introducing a heathen fad smokeyless shooter to a SASS match having converted him to the "Darkside" and having him or her shoot only Genuine Powder, forsaking forever the heathen ways of the past.  Your learning should be shared and the heathen guided by your discipleship to the One True Powder.  Bring a good number, not specified, to the way, the truth and the light of the white smoke, flames and booms.  This is the path to becoming a "Dark Lord of the Soot.  Thus, the DLoS moniker hanging on the DD in my posts.

That clear as mud now? ;D

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Dick Dastardly

Sootlords do a lot of harrumphing, posturing and strutting in 1880s Cowboy outfits.  They can usually be found at SASS matches by listening for the harrumphing and hoopla.  This can be easily heard, even while wearing the best hearing protection.  They grin a lot and loudly proclaim Old West authenticity.  Why, even their gun carts are period correct. . . . . ;)

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on December 24, 2011, 09:13:25 AM
Sootlords do a lot of harrumphing, posturing and strutting in 1880s Cowboy outfits.  They can usually be found at SASS matches by listening for the harrumphing and hoopla.  This can be easily heard, even while wearing the best hearing protection.  They grin a lot and loudly proclaim Old West authenticity.  Why, even their gun carts are period correct. . . . . ;)

DD-DLoS

Dagnabit, I almost had it.  I only shoot the holy black and earlier this year, I introduced two new pards to shooting, shooting C&B, shooting SASS.  But yu got me on the clothing ... my gear is 1860's so I would need to buy new duds to reach the 1880's and my shooting cart are saddle bags, so I would need to get me some wheels.  ;D
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Drayton Calhoun

The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Dick Dastardly

Ho Two Walks,

NCOWS members get a special dispensation on account of they don't use no carts but carry their stuff around from stage to stage.  A higher percentage of NCOWS shoot the Holy Black tho, and that's a positive consideration.  Of course then it might be harder to find heathen fad smokeyless shooters to convert.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Steel Horse Bailey

Howdy!  We've got two subjects here, both near & dear to my heart.

You are a Warthog when you shoot full-power (safe and published) loads in whatever caliber you choose.  It's that simple.  I've been a Warthog and a Soot Lord for several decades now.  Not OVER power rounds, but no muffin recipes, either.  True Warthogs are safe and shoot safe loads.

As for becoming a Soot Lord, you don't need 1880s outfits.  Everything else Dick said follows.  When you bring a smokeyless shooter who becomes one with the Dark Side, then you can call yerself a Soot Lord initiate.  The harrumphing, posturing and strutting come with the territory.  You WILL shoot more and have more fun, plus wild horses can't rip the silly grin from your face after you shoot and fog up the range with glorious white smoke.   You get bonus points for driving spotters and timers away from you if your loads BOOM, flame & smoke like a cannon!

Buffler, Wildman, & 2 Walks, it sounds like you 3 are well on the way to becoming Soot Lords and probably Warthogs, too!  Good on ya, pards!

We are few and proud.  The Black Powder Soot Lord and Warthog moniker is the ultimate goal.  You can be a smokeyless Warthog, after all.  But the Ultimate shooter is a WBPSL!

Try it: you'll like it!

Quote from: wildman1 on December 24, 2011, 08:01:48 AM
I "introduce" someone to BP almost every week (every time I go to the range). WM

Good for you!!!  Gettin' them to make the switch is the KEY to Soot Lordship!

;D

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Dick Dastardly

Sgt. Smokepole originated the rank designation, but I haven't heard from him in a coon's age.  I'll start a thread to ask what's to be done about keeping track.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

wildman1

SHB if you will notice on my posts it already says WARTHOG. Merry Christmas.  :P  :D WM

Dakota Widowmaker

I've only been shooting 44s for CAS shoots since watching a VERY talented shooter empty both 51 Navy's into a target and it not getting knocked down.

The next time I faced that same contraption with my 60 Army's with short barrels, I was putting a max load behind 200gr conicals ... there was no way I was walking away from that stage without either it falling or me.  ;D

I don't think there is a specific amount of powder that constitutes a "warthog", but, if you can't drop a steel plate with your load, your not even close.  ::)

cpt dan blodgett

So what is the minimum of holy black necessary in a 44 ELR to achieve the august status, I only ask as there is not an original load to replicate.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com