inquiring minds

Started by Cash Creek, December 18, 2011, 03:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cash Creek

What do you carry in your saddle bags, or carpet bags when you go shooting..beside guns and ammo..  inquiring minds what to know...LOL CC
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire...handle with care.

Pancho Peacemaker

Beef jerky, 4 silver dollars, period playing cards, spare ear plugs, & a folding knife.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Tjackstephens

Cash, Also a cup to drink from, inhaler, sweat rag, and rod to drive a round from a barrel. Also a screw driver. Tj

About forgot, money poke with gold dollars and a $100 dollar Texas bill. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

River City John

Period jointed brass cleaning rod and patches, moose milk in period bottle, a folder, period playing cards, a 'housewife' in case of sewing repairs, old canvas moneybag for empty brass holder, unfired cartridges in 'period' cardboard boxes, small antique oil holder  and screwdriver meant for cased accessories, a tin cup and gun rags.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

joec

I have saddle bags and carry a spare revolver, box of ammo, ear plugs, tools (limited), gun rag, small tube of oil. Occationally I might have extra glasses and funny money given out at meets.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Major 2

Cantle Valise AKA portmanteau  

Segmented collapsing cup (nickeled steel ) with Tin case circa CW era , a canvas roll of Gun wood handle Screwdrivers.
Depending on what I'm shooting  44 Colt , 38 Colt or 45 Colt in pasteboard boxes with replica labels , a drawstring bag for empties.
an old nickeled oiler (patent date Sept. 22, 1885  from a early Singer sewing machine / with Gibbs Lube.

when planets align...do the deal !

Steel Horse Bailey

Howdy CC!

I made up a tool roll, but it is too big to fit inside my bags.  It has a small toolbox quantity of tools with cleaning supplies as well for all calibers I shoot.  It looks old, but has modern supplies ... I have BreakFree and Moosemilk, rather than Bear grease or Sperm Whale oil.
;)

One side of the bags has a poke for empties, and loaded ammo.  Extra earplugs and extra MooseMilk in a small spray bottle.  The other has spare or extra ammo, more foam earplugs, and a small first-aid kit - very basic.

I fasten a copper mug outside on the other side of the tool roll tied on with leather thongs, like the tool roll.  I've been known to have a canteen in there, too, but that usually comes out and hangs around my neck for easy access.  It is a military smoothside canteen that is wool covered.  And yes, the cover starts out wet (which helps keep the water content cooler) - which is WHY it's there, not just to LOOK cool in blue, gray, or butternut (etc.) wool covering.

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Kayleen

Let me see here, I have a box of ammo(period correct box), handkerchief, coth to wipe my hands on, muslin bag  for empty cases,   gum, flask with WATER, (yes water), a silver folding cup, one of those rod things, ballistol in a  small bottle, srew driver, extra ear plugs, a silver box with bandades in, pocket knife, at times beef jerky, 3-1875 coins,  a pencil, a silver business card gizmo, and if I am lucky that's all. Yes heavy but my carpet bag has pockets on the insde and that makes for great packing.( by the way I also carry my non-period correct wireless communication device as I am on call 24 hrs at times. I do keep it concealed)
Kayleen
PS. I have saddlebags also, but I don't care for them they are just to clumsy for me to deal with.

Cash Creek

This is what I found on another web site..but he uses a cart...has toooo... ;D
COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING CHECKLIST

2 Ruger Vaquero 5 1/2" pistols

1 Ruger Vaquero 7 1/2" pistol (back up or loaner))

1 Marlin 1894 rifle

1 Rossi '92 rifle (back up or loaner)

1 Stoeger SxS

150 45 Colt ammo - monthly

250 45 Colt ammo - 2 day match

300 45 Colt ammo - 3 day match

50 12ga ammo - monthly

100 12ga ammo - 2 day match

150 12ga ammo - 3 day match

1 Gun cart

2 Safety Glasses

10 sets of ear plugs (foam type)

1 container with Dawn and H2O for empty brass cases

1 cleaning rod (rifle)

1 cleaning rod (pistol)

2 16oz H2O

2 towels - (1) for guns (1) for hand cleaning

1 Ballistol spray can

1 bag of cleaning patches

1 finger tape

1 first aid kit (small) w/ ibuprofen

1 cart umbrella

2 grain bars

2 canvas bags for empty cases

2 wood boxes (ammo - in cart)

1 Gerber multi-task tool

1 Chapstick

1 Lighter

Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire...handle with care.

Steel Horse Bailey

While a cart is a great place for us to sit on when we're tired, it lulls you into taking more than you really need.  My old guncart had all that PLUS a small cooler semi-attached.  And sometimes my 1874 Sharps just because I liked the way it looked!

I haven't used a cart in years.  I ONLY miss it at the GLFMC range when my hip & knee joints ache and all the other available seating is taken.  At our SMVS range, one of our members made a couple benches.  There's nearly always a place to sit these days.  I bought an antique folding camp stool and it was doing fine ... right up to the time the also antique cloth seat on it split!  My friends had some good laughs on me that day!!

;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Major 2

I learned long ago ounce's instead of pounds, camping & treking out of the saddle.

made myself a cart back when I shot SASS and as Jeff said it "lulls you into taking more than you really need "

Now it's just the Valice.....   

when planets align...do the deal !

OklaTom

"Dandy" Tom Dunphy usually has a valise, and he likes to keep his 44 Bulldog, ammo, a bit 'o tobacco, and the bottle and cup.  He often feels the need for a dram o' Irish whiskey.
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com