Best Snakebite Greasewagons yet!

Started by Dick Dastardly, December 17, 2011, 02:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Dastardly

I just got a shipment of new molds from my manufacturing firm.  They have been out of stock for a while, but now they are back.  And, they are the best Snakebite Greasewagon molds I've ever seen.  When I did a test casting I got a very nice surprise.  The bullets dropped easily from the mold with a barely visible parting line.  Pin and socket engagement was precise and easy.  Here's the best part.  The cast bullets are VERY round and mike .3595" in diameter, both at the base and at the driving band.  The crimp grove is a generous .015" deep and very crisp.  When I ran them thru my Star lube/sizer with my .357" die and they filled the lube grove completely under considerable pressure with absolutely NO leakage.  These are the neatest cast and lubed Snakebite Big Lube®LLC bullets I've had the pleasure of making.

It took a LOT of work and expense to get them this good in a six cavity mold, but we've done it finally.  Now, I'm going to load them up in 38 Special brass and run them thru my Browning 92.  I expect great accuracy.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Johnny McCrae

Yesterday I fired some more of Springfield Slims .45-70 400 grain Big Lube bullets again with good results. I fired some .38 Special rounds with Springfield Slims Snakebite Greasewagon bullets. I've had these on hand for quite a while and never used them before for Black Powder rounds. I used 20 grains of 1-1/2 F Swiss. These rounds shot great and I was amazed at how easy my Pistol cleaned up. I may have to learn how to cast my own bullets now.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Dick Dastardly

Howdy Johnny,

Thanks for the report.  Generally, for sub 45 Caliber pistol loads I use FFFg black powder.  I've been using Schuetzen and find it to be very satisfactory for pistol caliber rounds.

The new Snakebite molds are being sent out to fill back orders Monday.  i bought enough of them to lay in a good stock on my shelf.  I'm really happy that I did.  I'm trying hard to be able to have the molds in stock that shooters want.  In an ideal world I'd be able to use "Just in time" ordering from my manufacturer and maintain my inventory by using a good computer model to predict merchandise movement.  Well, maybe Wal Mart can do that, but I sure can't.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Steel Horse Bailey

Dick, are the moulds for the PRS 250 boolits from the same manufacturer as those new Greaswagons?  While my original mould made by Lee is fine and still has a LOT of use left, I was wondering.  The new moulds are ... what?  Steel or Aluminum?  I was thinking steel.

Having had the pleasure of shooting with Spider Johnny McCrae several times over the last few years I'm happy to see him experimenting with the One True Gunpowder, i.e. Black Powder.  I'd like to think that back when he and I first shot at GLFMC, I was shooting BP and might have started him down the merry path to True Shooting Enlightenment!

;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Johnny McCrae

I do remember Steel Horse mentioning Black Powder to me several years ago but it's our most recent conversations that prompted me to try it in my Pistols. My Rifle is next. Steel Horse is a great Pard to know and fun to shoot with.

I've had pleasure of shooting with Dick Dastardly several times throughout the years. Watching Dick shoot "Gunfighter" with Black Powder is a genuine treat. One can tell he is really enjoying himself.

Many thanks to you Gents for your help and encouragement.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Steel Horse Bailey

It's what we love to do. 

I think this Olde West BP type of shooting is FUN and should be shared with others!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Dick Dastardly

Howdy SHB,

The newly manufactured Big Lube®LLC molds are all machined from high quality 6061T6 aluminum high pressure extrusion.  I buy it by the ton and have it made by a company here in Wisconsin.

We had the choice of stainless steel, ductile iron, brass and the aluminum we use.  Aluminum was chosen because ALL the Big Lube®LLC molds are SIX cavity, even the big DD 45-70 Mk-III 500 grain semi spitzer.  Other metals were found to be just too fatiguing for extended casting sessions.  Many of my customers have joint problems like mine and fatigue lessens the fun of casting your own bullets.

However, the milling process is now much much more precise that ever before.  Fit and finish are excellent.  From cavity to cavity and from mold to mold the bullets weigh within very narrow tolerances.  None of these improvements required an increase in prices.  ALL BIG LUBE®LLC PRODUCTS ARE MANUFACTURED ENTIRELY IN THE USA!!!  All the jobs are here in the USA!  How many other merchants to SASS, NCOWS and the shooting public can make that claim truthfully?

Many of the steel parts are now made of stainless steel.  All metal handle forks and sprue cams are laser cut high strength steel, not sintered cast as in other six cavity products.  Big Lube®LLC handles DON'T BREAK.  We've NEVER had to replace a Big Lube®LLC steel handle part.  I now supply handle parts to fit other brand six cavity molds that have broken handles.  The other brand mold has to be sent to Big Lube for fitting.

Each Big Lube®LLC mold ships with a FREE sample of mold block lube.  Instructions are included as are re-order information.  This shows how highly we at Big Lube think of mold block lubricants.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

will52100

What about the 500 grain 45-70 mark 3?  You list it on your sight as iron.  I like the design, but detest iron moulds.  I can get good results from them, but it's generally slower for me to cast with them than aluminum.

And any word on six cavity round ball moulds?  Hint hint!
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Dick Dastardly

I've gotten and tested a DD 45-70 Mk-III 500 grain Six cavity mold.  It proofed out too small in diameter but the bullets were VERY good and consistent from cavity to cavity.  They were also very round.  So, YES, there will be a Six cavity 500 grain Big Lube®LLC mold.  It will replace the iron one listed, but the bullet profile will be the same.  Now, think of this. . . . Six cavities filled with 500 grains of lead is 3000 grains per pour.  That rig will empty your pot pronto.  I strongly recommend a pre-melt pot to dip hot metal from to keep your casting pot supplied.

Yes, there WILL be Six cavity RB molds.  It's been like pooping pine cones to get them produced.  I've gotten one in .457" size and it is good, but not perfect.  They WILL happen.  I also wish they could be done sooner.  As soon as they become available I'm expecting to do a brisk business in Six cavity RB molds. . .

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

will52100

Good deal, DD, can't wait.  I'm particulary interested in the six cavity round ball moulds.  I tried to get a group buy together with Lee several years ago and they told me they couldn't make a six cavity round ball mould.

Do you have a time frame on the 500 grain mark 3's?  or do you have the iron moulds still in stock?

Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Dick Dastardly

None of the iron molds in stock and I don't plan to order any.  The new six cavity aluminum molds will replace them.  FWIW, the mold blocks are not the same as the others.  They are much deeper because of the length of the bullets.  The same handles, sprue cutter and collar are the same as the other six cavity molds.  The aluminum alloy used is a high silicone item that really cuts very cleanly.

No, LEE can't make the six cavity RB molds using their present production techniques.  Their press doesn't have enough force to squeeze the six tungsten carbide balls that complete the cavities.  Two cavity seems to be their best effort.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com