Black MZ

Started by Papa Irish, December 10, 2011, 07:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa Irish

Anyone tried Alliant's new product Black MZ?  For those who haven't heard of it (like me until today), it is a BP substitute. ???
Papa Irish
"Smile when you say that pardner"

Pettifogger

Haven't seen if for sale anywhere yet.  While surely give it a try when it is available in my area.

Norton Commando

No, I haven't seen Black MZ in my local black powder store (Bass Pro Shop).

The name "Black MZ" sounds like some sort of vintage dirt bike to me.

I looked at a webisite that featured Black MZ and read a quote from their product manager that refered to "smokless powder" as "gunpowder".  I thought gunpowder was black powder???  Any rate, their claim is that Black MZ is less corrosive, owing to the absence of sulfur. I'm not sure there's sufficient impetus for me to try it.

Dick Dastardly

Another kiss your sister black powder wanna be?  Another alternative for those that think Genuine Powder is difficult to clean up?  Another option for those that can't legally own Gunpowder?  A step down the heathen path to the eternal damnation of expanding proprietary shelf space in the name of marketing?

Anyway, the good side is that it may bring more Cowboys to the Dark Side where they can learn the ways of the One True Powder.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Charlie Bowdre

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on December 11, 2011, 09:33:48 AM
Another kiss your sister black powder wanna be?  Another alternative for those that think Genuine Powder is difficult to clean up?  Another option for those that can't legally own Gunpowder?  A step down the heathen path to the eternal damnation of expanding proprietary shelf space in the name of marketing?

Anyway, the good side is that it may bring more Cowboys to the Dark Side where they can learn the ways of the One True Powder.

DD-DLoS

Amen to that bro.
Dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on December 11, 2011, 09:33:48 AM

DD-DLoS

AMEN #2!

Sounds like another powder I'll never try.  There are good reasons for some use of wanna-be BP, but I'm fortunate to live where the restrictions are much lower, so I AM happy for shooters who may not have the option to shoot guns with the One True Gunpowder!

Quote from: Norton Commando on December 11, 2011, 08:59:02 AM

I looked at a website that featured Black MZ and read a quote from their product manager that refereed to "smokeless powder" as "gunpowder".  I thought gunpowder was black powder???  Any rate, their claim is that Black MZ is less corrosive, owing to the absence of sulfur. I'm not sure there's sufficient impetus for me to try it.

VERY true, Norton Commando!

Must be another citrus-based powder.  Or ...

I don't know the composition of the other true BP subs.  Pyrodex is basically BP, but like Black MZ it claims to have less sulfur.  So maybe there is less "fragrance," as well.

I LOVE the smell of Gunpowder in the morning!

(Thanks, Gus!!)
;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Papa Irish

So lots of opinions, but no first hand experience, huh? ;)
Papa Irish

w44wcf

Papa Irish,

According to this report ,the user said that it looks like APP repackaged........
http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=talk&action=display&thread=8918

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Dick Dastardly

Howdy w44wcf,

Thanks for digging up that report.  From what I can see, Black MZ has a LONG way to go in the accuracy and fouling departments before I'd put my money on the mahogany for it.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

fourfingersofdeath

Most guys that are fancying trying BP see the subs as an almost holy alternative. I know they appealed to me until I worked out what was going on.

The only real advantage that I can see is that ammo loaded with them is legal on an airplane, where BP isn't, butttttttttt,, how they gonna know whats in the cartridge?
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Dick Dastardly

Howdy fourfingersofdeath ,

If asked what powder your ammo is loaded with, state "Gunpowder".  Say nothing more.  Mostly, you won't be asked.

One other good reason for sub/replica powders is that they can be legally owned/purchased in some areas where Genuine Powder is not legal.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Papa Irish

Hey w44wcf thanks, that saved me from maybe a $20 mistake. :D
Papa Irish

44caliberkid

Quote from: Norton Commando on December 11, 2011, 08:59:02 AM

Showing your age with that comment Norton.   I think it sounds like the latest Rap star.

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: 44caliberkid on December 16, 2011, 08:00:37 AM
Showing your age with that comment Norton.   I think it sounds like the latest Rap star.

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Good one, Clint!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Dirty Sanchez

I'm new here. but just wanted to update the Black MZ status. I have used Pyrodex, (corrosive) and triple7 (almost as corrosive as Pyrodex) and naturally use real BP.  I tried black MZ about 3 months ago and got hooked. The main attraction for me ( I shoot a lot ) is the string of shots you can take without swabbing the bore, I have shot 20 maxi's out of my smoke pole and the 20th round goes down as easy as the first. I have also shot ten cylinder's out of my dragoon (40 grain) non stop no issues. I still have not found out how many shots it would take foul the bore with Black MZ.

Cleanup is a snap, the patch comes out grey/black, next patch gray, third patch is white. It compares to BP in smoke, and velocity, but the BP wins out in the fire category. The flame BP makes in my dragoon is roughly twice as big as Black MZ.

I am not trying to start an argument, I love BP. I just wanted to give my experience with this new powder since no one else has. It is by far the best substitute I have ever used, but its still a substitute.

DS

Lefty Dude

I use APP in my C&B revolvers and my 44WCF 73 Carbine. I use real BP (Goex) for my SG loads.

I pay less than $20.00 per pound for APP in case lots. I checked the price of Black MZ, at $35.00 per pound it is not cost effective for a trial or change for me at this time.

My reason for using the subs in my Rifle, I can use regular smokless lubed bullets. I use a Lee 1.9cc dipper of 3F APP and seat a 200 gr. bullet.

Dirty Sanchez

Quote from: Lefty Dude on May 20, 2013, 01:18:55 PM

I pay less than $20.00 per pound for APP in case lots. I checked the price of Black MZ, at $35.00 per pound it is not cost effective for a trial or change for me at this time.

:o That's big $$. I buy it at Grafs for $19.99 a pound, works out good for me because that's where I get my BP too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com