need advice on dry leather

Started by GunClick Rick, December 09, 2011, 07:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunClick Rick

What would you guys do?New neighbor across the street gave these to me today,said he has had them for about 20 years,the last five been in his garages and he knows i collect western stuff,of course he wants to sell me life ins. too ;D As you can see it is rawhide on the ends,cut the rawhide off and  save the rest?What would you use?What the heck kind of bovine are these from?They are huge as you can see compared to the cowyote horns :D

Bunch a ole scudders!

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

TexasToby

I've roped some like that at some team ropings. Looks like corriente mexican cattle horns maybe crossed with some longhorn. Not big around enought for watusi cattle.
Swinging a rope is alot of fun unless, your neck is in the loop.

GunClick Rick

That's what i was trying to think of,watusi,there used to be a feller about 5 miles away from me that used to ride one down the side of the road...There are some big ones at circle N leather but i think they are longhorns...
Bunch a ole scudders!

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

TexasToby

I knew a guy that bought a watusi young bull to crossbreed with some longhorn cattle. He wanthe to produce lornd with a bigger base than what he had been able to buy. Well the watusi bull bu thime he got old enought to breed, those horns were about 6'' to 7 '' in diameter. The longhorn cattle that had calves produced big horns but most were pointing kinda down like the ones in the pics. Any way he sold the bull and bought steers that were mexican longhorn cross. Texas Toby T

GunClick Rick

These are 17 inch at the base and 22 inches following the curvature.. :o
Bunch a ole scudders!

Irish Dave

Best leather restoration product I've ever seen or used is called Ko-Cho-Line. It's a Brit product, kinda looks like red grease in the can, but I have seen it work wonders with old dried out leather.

Do a search for it and you'll likely find it at some of the more full-line saddlery and equine stores on line.

That's my $.02 advice.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

GunClick Rick

is it anything like shoe grease?I got some of that..
Bunch a ole scudders!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

I like Skidmores Leather Cream, but  Ko-Cho-Line is also a great product and I have found good results with it also, and Tandy sellls I think it's call Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenater and it works well too, not to mention Lexoil Leather Conditioner this product will soften your leather and put life back into it too, but can also make your leather too soft if you use too much of it, all these products have worked well for me, and I know there are others out there that are also great for this, but I stay with these because of past experience with them.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

rickk

I would reach for a bottle of Ballistol myself.  There was a time when I would reach for Neatsfoot oil every time, but Ballistol can do some cool things on leather and wood. I have no idea how it would work on the horns, but I would try a little on the underside there too, just to see what happens.

TexasToby

I would first spray it with a liquid saddle soap that had glycerin in it. The only thin better would be if it had lanolin in t=it also. But I haven't seen any of that in several years.

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

I'd tear the whole thing apart, polish the horns up and put new leather on.

GunClick Rick

That's what i am thinkin,the rawhide strips on the end i already took some off and that's where the tacks are in the horn and wood.The black i could dye easy enough but the carved leather parts i'd have to replace,the carving does not show up good anymore even being treated,be easy for you guys,but i ain't no leather man... :-\ :-\ ::)
Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com