Mav Dutchman slays Bambi

Started by Dick Dastardly, December 04, 2011, 01:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Dastardly

Big Lube®LLC bullets kill Bambi just fine. No wasted meat, humane kill. We got two here Friday. We're eating some tonight. Recipe is Venison Schnitzel made from tenderloins.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Dick Dastardly

Gunfighter Ordinar

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Dick Dastardly

It truly did taste good.  This is a recipe we will be using again.  Fantastic flavor and tender enough to cut with the fork.  Rests easy on the palate and follows good with red wine.

The thing we've learned thru time about shooting deer with Big Lube cast bullets is that the deer die promptly but there's not a lot of bloodshot loss.  I'll continue hunting with my Cowboy guns, black powder and Big Lube bullets.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Bryan Austin

My sister's name is Bambi and I still shoot some Mav Dutch bullets. Someone just might think I did the unthinkable!  ;D
Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

Lewie Girardeau

HIYA...

"The thing we've learned thru time about shooting deer with Big Lube cast bullets is that the deer die promptly but there's not a lot of bloodshot loss.  I'll continue hunting with my Cowboy guns, black powder and Big Lube bullets."

"That".... is what I'm talking about.....

Kill it and Grill it!!!!

Rob Wright
                                                    Lewie

w44wcf

DD,
Nice! ;D  That big meplat does a great job of harvesting.....

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

fourfingersofdeath

I can't wait to get my 44/40 going with my MAV/D Mould, but I am so crippled up at the moment, I can't even handle cowboy shooting, let alone climbing the hills after freezer fillers!  :'( :'( :'(
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Dirty Brass

That does it. I'm definitely using my '73 Win (Uberti) in 44-40 next season!  ;) Congrats! Sounds like a great recipe!

Dick Dastardly

Howdy Pards,

It's a proven fact that you get less stealth bullets with Big Lube®LLC molds.  When hunting deer with Cowboy Action guns, be sure to load Big Lube®LLC bullets.  They're proven killers of White Tail deer.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Springfield Slim

At what distance were they shot?
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Deadeye Dick

I shot my buck two years ago using a Winchester 73 (Uberti) in 44-40. The deer was shot at 30 yards and ran 20 yards before expiring. Bullet went through the lungs and exited the far side. Used one of Springfield Slims 44 Mav Dutchman bullets ahead of a full case of Swiss 2F black powder.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Dick Dastardly

Howdy DD,

That's pretty much the performance we saw.  One deer was close, maybe 50 yards and the other around 100 yards.  The butcher remarked that there was very little tissue damage compared to more common modern deer guns.  I've pretty much felt, over the years, that we were using too much gun to kill Bambi.  Let's face it, Bambi is no tougher to kill than an adult human.  But, Bambi is probably in better shape and has better reflexes.  Hit Bambi in the boiler room and the end is predictable.

Shot placement is still the key to a quick and humane kill, regardless of caliber.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Alp Arslan

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on December 04, 2011, 09:14:12 PM
It truly did taste good.  This is a recipe we will be using again.  Fantastic flavor and tender enough to cut with the fork.  Rests easy on the palate and follows good with red wine.

The thing we've learned thru time about shooting deer with Big Lube cast bullets is that the deer die promptly but there's not a lot of bloodshot loss.  I'll continue hunting with my Cowboy guns, black powder and Big Lube bullets.

DD-DLoS

Ever had Keystone Ice Beer before? ;D
If ya ever want a rich, full-of-fresh-bread-flavor suds to go with yer venison, Ice is the best out there. And 5.9% alcohol content to top it all off. I cracked an Ice long ago, and never drank anything else ever since.
MARTYRS
http://unnamed-heroes.com
Every man has something that he is willing to fight to the death for. What about YOU? What would you do to protect someone or some place that you love and cherish?

Grapeshot

Quote from: Savvy Jack on December 05, 2011, 06:05:21 PM
My sister's name is Bambi and I still shoot some Mav Dutch bullets. Someone just might think I did the unthinkable!  ;D

Some sisters are perfectly legit as targets.  Take my sister-in-law, Please!
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on December 04, 2011, 01:55:17 PM
Recipe is Venison Schnitzel made from tenderloins.
DD-DLoS

Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on December 04, 2011, 03:17:41 PM
Waidmanns Heil!

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on December 04, 2011, 03:47:20 PM
Und gutes Essen, ja?
DD-DLoS

Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on December 04, 2011, 06:29:30 PM
Das schmecht!

Ausgecheiznet!  Wunderbar!

Was that Schnitzel ala Wien, (Wiener Schnitzel) or Jaeger Schnitzel, or ... any one of numerous other Schnitzel recipes?!  (Rahmm, Zigeuner, etc.)  My favorite is Jaeger (Hunter) with Zigeuner (Gypsy) a close 2nd.  My wife makes killer Jaeger Schnitzel and our little family group has added many non-German residents around us here in Indy to the previously-unheard-of group of devoted Schnitzel fans.  'Tho my Frau is Scottish (from Glasgow) we spent our first couple of married years in (near) Fulda, when I was stationed there in the 11th Cav.

2 years ago, when I went deer hunting my very first time I was in Olde West clothes (plus the mandatory Blaze Orange item of clothing, a vest) I was shooting my 1866 stoked with a PRS 250 gr. hand cast, soft lead B/L boolit, powered by a full and compressed case of 3F Goex.  I wish I could report success.  I did see a dog, but he was safe and Bambi (NOT the Sis-out-law one) was unhurt or even fired at that day.
:-\

I have every confidence that if I had (#1) seen a deer, and (#2) done MY part with a good shot, I'd have been successful.  And still eating venison, or even Schnitzel made FROM said venison!

(Pardon any German spelling errors made by this author who has been nearly 20 years away from Germany.)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Dick Dastardly

Howdy SHB,

I was born and raised up in Northern Wisconsin.  When we were kids I got a .22 rifle.  I was six years old at the time.  I was raised on hunted meat and didn't suffer from it one bit.  Now, the wolves have moved in and the deer are gone up north.  The deer we shot were here in southern Wisconsin.  Sadly, now we have far more deer here all together too close to the Liberal sump hole called Madison.

We took the deer from my ranch here in the south.  For the fourth year running I didn't see a single white tail where I was born and raised.  I  may not hunt deer there anymore.  Birds are still good.

Yesterday afternoon Bear, my dawg, and I took a trip with my politically incorrect three wheeler and saw Ten deer just east of my place.  That's more deer than I've seen up north for many years.

FWIW, black powder does the work on harvesting deer.  There is a minimum of bloodshot meat and the deer are humanely taken if the shot is well placed.  And, with the number of deer hereabouts, there's no reason to take a chancy shot.

The schnitzel recipe came from my bride's German Cookbook.  We'll use it again.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

will52100

PRS did a fine job several years ago as well out of an 1860 henry.  I was on a hill, deer was running up another smaller hill about 70 yards away.  Shot between the shoulder blades and it dropped like a rock.  Round penetrated spine and lodged in skin at the chest.  Very little damage to meat.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Dick Dastardly

My Grampa liked the 38-55 for deer.  He wore out a 38-70 and I have some of his brass.  Grampa cast bullets at the wood fired kitchen stove.  I can remember it.  That's how old I am. . . .

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com