compilation of Old West gunfights

Started by Pukin Dog, August 22, 2005, 11:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pukin Dog

I wonder if anyone has ever put together a listing of all the known gunfights between 1865 and 1900.  I don't mean ambushes or assasinations and back shooting, I mean known gunfights between two or more individuals who at least had an inkling of what was to occur and was documented by observers.

It would be interesting to see a spread sheet of where they all occured, the dates and locations to just see how common (or uncommon) this was.

As far as I know, this sort of thing has not been done, they are scattered around in dozens of books.

Am I wrong?
"Puking Dog" Danlbach

Soot Lord Junior Grade
Semi-Warthog

Four-Eyed Buck

Probably wouldn't be too big a list, there Dog. Off the top of my head: Hickock-Tutt, Short- Courtwright, maybe the O.K. Corral( alright, Freemont Street). These latter two were in Tombstone, the other was further East. Another Tombstone fight that might qualify, Buckskin Frank Leslie and Billy Claiborne...........Buck 8) ::) :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Pukin Dog

Buck,
That's what I'm thinking too.  It might be a real eye opener to some folks to see how really rare a true "gunfight" was.  I wonder if there were even a dozen over that 35 year span.
"Puking Dog" Danlbach

Soot Lord Junior Grade
Semi-Warthog

Capt. Hamp Cox

Closest I've seen is Bill O'Neal's Encyclopedia of Western Gunfighters (University of Oklahoma Press).  It profiles about 250 old west characters who were involved in gunfights, and provides a description of each shootout they were in (a considerable number were in more than one).  Would imagine a person with some time on their hands could definitely produce a spreadsheet based on O'Neal's work.  I think the number of gunfights was considerably greater than you might be thinking, unless you are limiting the definition of "Gunfight" to Matt Dillon's showdown in the middle of the street type. 

Four-Eyed Buck

Cap, I thought maybe that's what he was alluding to. The more typically "Hollyweird" type duel in the sun.......Buck 8) ::) :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Silver Creek Slim

I tried to reserve Encyclopedia of Western Gunfighters via interlibrary loan. I can't 'cuz it is classified as Reference material.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Pukin Dog

QuoteClosest I've seen is Bill O'Neal's Encyclopedia of Western Gunfighters (University of Oklahoma Press).  It profiles about 250 old west characters who were involved in gunfights, and provides a description of each shootout they were in (a considerable number were in more than one).  Would imagine a person with some time on their hands could definitely produce a spreadsheet based on O'Neal's work.  I think the number of gunfights was considerably greater than you might be thinking, unless you are limiting the definition of "Gunfight" to Matt Dillon's showdown in the middle of the street type. 

Thats some good information.  My definition is more broad than a showdown.  Just has to have 2 or more individuals shooting (or at least going) for their guns.  I wouldn't classify for instance Billy the Kids slaying of Morton & Baker or his shooting the deputy in his jail break.  Or Tom Horn killing someone from 300 yards from behind a tree.

Yeah I want to know how many of the type like the OK Corral, WBH-Dave Tutts or Short-Courtright occured.
"Puking Dog" Danlbach

Soot Lord Junior Grade
Semi-Warthog

Pukin Dog

Oh, and Slim???

I just checked out O'Neals book for a month!  The librarian said shouldn't be a problem extending it a couple times either.

So liberal Madison ain't so bad sometime!! ;D :D
"Puking Dog" Danlbach

Soot Lord Junior Grade
Semi-Warthog

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Pukin Dog on August 23, 2005, 12:54:52 PM
Oh, and Slim???

I just checked out O'Neals book for a month!  The librarian said shouldn't be a problem extending it a couple times either.

:( :( :( :(

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Capt. Hamp Cox

Oh, and Slim???

I think you'll enjoy it, PD.  I refer to my copy often.

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on August 23, 2005, 01:23:56 PM
Oh, and Slim???

Slim

Slim

If ya ain't too proud ta buy used, there's a couple as low as $5 at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/0806123354/ref=dp_olp_2//103-1853889-8097462?condition=all .  Definitely worth having in your personal liberry.  It ain't perfect (a few errors, and some personal bias) but lots of good stuff to offset tha deficiencies.

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on August 23, 2005, 02:05:06 PM
Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on August 23, 2005, 01:23:56 PM
Oh, and Slim???

Slim

Slim

If ya ain't too proud ta buy used, there's a couple as low as $5 at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/0806123354/ref=dp_olp_2//103-1853889-8097462?condition=all .  Definitely worth having in your personal liberry.  It ain't perfect (a few errors, and some personal bias) but lots of good stuff to offset tha deficiencies.
Thanks, Capt.

Slim

Steel Horse Bailey

You say there's a couple?  I might have to snag the one Slim doesn't get!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Pukin Dog

Thanks for the suggestion.  Just got the book from the library and it does pretty much list all the stuff I was looking for.  I did note some gaffs however, such as listing 0 kills for Wyatt Earp.  I don't understand how he can say that Wyatt didn't kill SOMEONE at the OK corral as 3 men certainly died.  Also didn't credit him with Frank Stillwell or Curly Bill.  I thought there were plenty of witnesses to Wyatt cutting Curly Bill down with a shotgun.

He does state in the front that if you only counted mano to mano gun fights that it might only number a dozen or so.

I mean he counts Hardin's death and Hickock's death as gunfights!  I'd categorize them as assassinations.
"Puking Dog" Danlbach

Soot Lord Junior Grade
Semi-Warthog

tarheel mac

I've already sent a couple of PMs about this, but those of you trying to get your hands on a copy of O'Neal's book, try www.abebooks.com.   they are big clearing house for numerous used book dealers, and I got a "like new" copy for less than 9 bucks including shipping...I got it today, and it really is "like new."

Danny Bear Claw

Seems to me there was a book called "Texas Gunfighters" or something like that covering the 1850s on up to the turn of the century.  As I recall, there were quite a few that would have qualified as "gunfights" as you describe them.  Seems lots of Texans took to slinging lead at one another back then.  I don't know if I still have the book in my collection and it's too late at night now to go digging in the library.
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Malachi Thorne

Good Afternoon, All;

True West Magazine's Editor-in-Chief, Bob Boze Bell, has released two books on gunfights of the old west:

Classic Gunfights, Volume I

Classic Gunfights, Volume II

Volume II was just released, and details the "25 gunfights behind the OK Corral"; twenty-five incidents of gunplay/gunfights in and around Tombstone, AZ, leading up to, and after the infamous fight behind the OK corral.

I've already ordered my copy, just on the strength of Volume I, which detailed a variety of old west gunfights, including Elfego Baca's stand against 30+ cowboys in New Mexico.

All of the gunfights in Volume I are annotated with illustrations, text, maps of the area, newspaper accounts, eyewitness testimony, and a variety of follow-ups (excerpts from trial transcripts, etc); many of these appeared on the pages of True West Magazine, and have been expanded with additional material.  I expect the same high standards in Volume II.  Links for ordering may be found at http://www.truewestmagazine.com

I have the honor to remain.

Your Obedient Servant,

Bvt. Captain Malachi Thorne
I have the honor to remain,

Your Obedient Servant,

Bvt Col. M. Thorne
Department of the Pacific

"Marine Artillery brings dignity to an otherwise vulgar brawl"

blue drifter

Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on August 23, 2005, 11:07:18 AM
I tried to reserve Encyclopedia of Western Gunfighters via interlibrary loan. I can't 'cuz it is classified as Reference material.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Slim
holy poop if slim don't have it, then your only other hope is del and since he's not here yet he must be in his time
machine heading back to get the info ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
semper fi, dav, blue drifter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com