Are ya'll just skeered?

Started by Hoof Hearted, November 27, 2011, 04:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

In a friendly attempt to generate some interest in this forum I am posting some pictures of a couple of recently completed conversions.

Before the usual poking starts I'll go ahead and say it, YES they are Pietta's ::)

I built this pistol for a pard here on the forum............

His take on my "Sinister" model.........
1861 Pietta Navy
Shortened and resculpted barrel
Checkered hammer
Nitre bluing
Action work
Kirst conversion
And a bunch of little things to make it "nice"

Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

Hoof Hearted

Just a few pics here of what YOU can do with the Kirst Konvertor and ejector assembly, some basic hand tools, and a little skill

This is a Pietta 1851 Navy.........
Kirst Konvertor Ring
Kirst Ejector
Hammer checkered
Barrel lug and ejector reprofiled
Factory cylinder cut and rechambered
'61 grip frame
1873 trigger
Italian markings removed from barrel and cylinder
Ejector pad checkered
Bright polished and blued
And all the little things to make it "feel" right
STORM #400

Long Juan

I'm here Hoof Hearted!  Always lurking and waiting for folks who know a whole lot more than I do to post so I can learn.  Next week will be the match-shooting debut of one of my Walker conversions.  I will be shooting GAF, using the Walker and a Sharps Carbine.  I have been practicing reloading.  In GAF we reload on the clock for the second 5 rounds with a pistol.  I am sure my times will be slower than when shooting a Schofield, but I expect to win the the most style points and to have fun.  Not sure if I will take a BP cylinder with me for some additional shooting after the match.  Did you get the last issue of the Agarita Gazette in which I wrote an article about Walkers?  Emailed one to you about mid-November.  Here's a link in case you did not get my email and for anyone else who might be interested.  http://www.tarryhollowgang.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/AG-Final-2011-111.pdf

Great looking guns in your post, by the way. 

CAPT John (Long Juan) Soule
Texican Rangers, Fredericksburg, Texas
Plum Creek Shooting Society, Lockhart, Texas
SASS #84671 NCOWS #3322 STORM #368
GAF #737,  Department of Missouri, Division of Texas
www.tarryhollowgang.com

River City John

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Hoof Hearted

Thanks ya'll! ;D

That snubby or "Avenging Angel" was built for our pard Major2..............

Long Juan.......I thought I emailed you back after receiving the scan of the article? Man, must be old age (or too much Shiner Bock). Can you send me a hard copy?

Thanks, HH
STORM #400

Major 2

when planets align...do the deal !

Diamond Dan

Maybe when I retire;10 hour work days give me the funds but definitly not much time. Very nice work hope some day to start on some of the ones I colleted.      :oDiamond Dan

Marshal Deadwood

They both are really nice..but I LOVE that stubbie. Great work.

M. Deadwood

Long Juan

HH, will have a hard copy in the mail to you tomorrow. 

LJ
CAPT John (Long Juan) Soule
Texican Rangers, Fredericksburg, Texas
Plum Creek Shooting Society, Lockhart, Texas
SASS #84671 NCOWS #3322 STORM #368
GAF #737,  Department of Missouri, Division of Texas
www.tarryhollowgang.com

Jamestown John

Jamestown John

STORM #186
American Plainsmen Society #18

Major 2

I had for sometime lusted for an Avenging Angel

My first real intro was the film by Keith Merrell " Legacy: A Mormon Journey ".
While we were in pre-production, I read just about anything I could find on the Mormons , Nauvoo, anything that would help me as The Production Designer.
I fixated on the Danites, their early formation and their roll, they were also call "Destroying Angels" or "Avenging Angels."
Danites existed from June 1838 until the end of the Mormon War, and their involvement is well documented.
It is with some conjector they survived as an organization beyond 1838 and the Morman War.
Well after the migratiion of the Mormans to the great Salt lake, History speaks of Danites as Vigilantes , a secret group in the mid & later 19th century Utah.

In 1995, while preping for "The Avenging Angel", Tom Berringer & James Coburn, I got to handle the carry piece seen below.
Reading about Dallas Strodenmire & Doc Manning guns based on Richards & Mason 44's just cemented the idea I wanted a conversion model.

I began a search and found my candidate in the pages of "Variation of Colts " by Breslin, Pirie & Price....
I aquired a 61 Navy with a steel TG & Backstrap ( this was a Hartford Model ) as new & unfired...
I'm quite pleased with the transformation....  It will be fed 38 Colt charged with 19-21 Grains BP under a heel based two lube groove RN Bullet.

Coffinmaker

WAY KOOL!!!  I am a huge fan of Conversions.  The 1860 Conversions built with the original 1860 barrel profile are the sexiest guns ever built (personal Opinion).  Because of the way they point, the 1851 is a close second.

Coffinmaker

Major 2

You and me both Coffinmaker ... Nothing IMHO is better looking in a revolver design

"Sinister"  I believe I coined that name when Gary first showed it.  :-\

and

"Avenging Angel "

Photo's by Gary Barnes

Professor Marvel

Quote from: Major 2 on November 28, 2011, 12:45:01 PM
You and me both Coffinmaker ... Nothing IMHO is better looking in a revolver design

"Sinister"  I believe I coined that name when Gary first showed it.  :-\

Soooo ... when can we expect the Model that will be named "Dexter" ?

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Professor Marvel

Greetings My Dear Hoof -

We are not skeered ... we are amazed.

As you might recall, you were asking me about how I go about butchering perfectly good frames creating  a "bird-head" grip. It is quite simple (if time consuming) to take a brass frame and cut, then bend & anneal & bend & anneal & bend & anneal and finally silver solder the backstrap.

I will dig out my pathetic attempt, and remove the ugly grip panels to get some photos for you.

It is not hard, just takes time and did I mention one has to remember to anneal the brass after each bend, or it *will* break.

hopefully, now that the pantry is nearly done, I can finish & clean up the shop.

Then I have a project in mind - making my own steel  birdhead backstrap blanks from mild steel stock.
The methodology I have in mind requires a couple of jigs, and a tish of blacksmithing.

Whilst, conceptually, it seems dirt simple, I am quite certain that I will run into my own personal Kryptonite that will cause
my head to explode, taking out the entire block
  some sort of unforseen issue ....

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Major 2

Birdshead Navy hideout and a touch of provenience.... alais I have only the photo , no written doc.
The card is only slightly legable and the display location is not known to me ...

Hoof Hearted

Dear Marvel

Nice to speak with you the other day!

I know, full well about annealing, and silver solder (the trick there is all in the fitting). But you were attempting to braze, if I remember correctly, and said you could not get the rod to stick (not sure if that sounds quite "kosher").

Skeered was geared towards those who no longer post here because they have been jeered into submission for owning or working on Pietta's by the "Uberti is better crowd" ::)

I get your "Dexter" thought.......what about a pieced together, garage smithed snubby named "Chucky"...............that might be a hoot. Kinda like a "rat rod" pistol!

Quote from: Professor Marvel on November 29, 2011, 12:09:49 AM
Greetings My Dear Hoof -

We are not skeered ... we are amazed.

As you might recall, you were asking me about how I go about butchering perfectly good frames creating  a "bird-head" grip. It is quite simple (if time consuming) to take a brass frame and cut, then bend & anneal & bend & anneal & bend & anneal and finally silver solder the backstrap.

I will dig out my pathetic attempt, and remove the ugly grip panels to get some photos for you.

It is not hard, just takes time and did I mention one has to remember to anneal the brass after each bend, or it *will* break.

hopefully, now that the pantry is nearly done, I can finish & clean up the shop.

Then I have a project in mind - making my own steel  birdhead backstrap blanks from mild steel stock.
The methodology I have in mind requires a couple of jigs, and a tish of blacksmithing.

Whilst, conceptually, it seems dirt simple, I am quite certain that I will run into my own personal Kryptonite that will cause
my head to explode, taking out the entire block
  some sort of unforseen issue ....

yhs
prof marvel

STORM #400

Major 2

a good read

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

This kind of project is a bit beyond me, but why all the cutting & bending & soldering/brazing?

Can the toe of the grip frame be filled with brass somhow, and then the toe ground back to form the birds head?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on November 29, 2011, 10:35:54 AM
This kind of project is a bit beyond me, but why all the cutting & bending & soldering/brazing?

Can the toe of the grip frame be filled with brass somhow, and then the toe ground back to form the birds head?

Well we have officially drifted WAAYY off topic :P

Yes there are many ways to skin a cat, I am just not very fond of the birdshead and they seem too bothersome and labor intensive to me. Having siad that I do offer a couple of grip mods that I feel make a poket pistol easier to carry. My "Sinister" model (in the other thread and reposted here by major2) has the rear "trumpet" portion of the grip changed to be more Colt like and the heel reshaped slightly. This is easy to do on a brass frame if you intend to leave it brass or on a steel frame if you intend to antique, age, or reblue.
STORM #400

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com