Black Box Colt Navy

Started by Tascosa Joe, November 27, 2011, 12:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tascosa Joe

I found a NIB 2nd Gen Navy yesterday at a gun show at a fairly economical price.  Odd thing about it, the cylinder does not have the roll engraving nor the SN.  SN is 289XX.  Anybody ever see one like this?
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Mako

Joe,
"In addition to the standard production guns, Colt's manufactured 300 Model F1101 1851 Navy revolvers with blank cylinders (no roll engraved battle scene) within the serial number range 28851 to 29150, and 490 Model F1110 examples with a stainless steel finish in the serial number range 29151s through 29640s." p.20

That is from History of Colt Blackpowder Reproductions by Dennis Adler

Everything fits, including the serial number.

Regards,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Tascosa Joe

Mako:
Thanks for the info, I guess that makes it fairly rare.  I wonder if the rarity would make it bring a premium? 

Thursday was a sad day on the Brazos.
T-Joe

Mako

Quote from: Tascosa Joe on November 27, 2011, 03:41:38 PM
Mako:
Thanks for the info, I guess that makes it fairly rare.  I wonder if the rarity would make it bring a premium? 

Thursday was a sad day on the Brazos.
T-Joe

I don't know about a premium, but they are rare and I read a few years ago about them for the first time.  I have the book, but I never paid attention to that particular part.  I had a Stainless Steel '60 so I had read the part about the stainless guns.  It's funny what we overlook when it's not something we are interested in at the moment.

You might ask Fingers McGee about the value (if any) above the marked guns,  he is a serious 2nd Gen collector.  I'm sure someone who doesn't have that variant would consider it desirable.  I have also heard of guns put together with parts from the Signature Model series after it finished it's run that didn't have roll engraving.  I can't remember his name but there was someone who was a member on this site that had a bunch of the left over parts from that venture.  I contacted him about non roll engraved Navy cylinders because I have some Leech &  Rigdons that have the Colt's style roll marked cylinders.

As far as any events on the Brazos, I know not what you speak of...those events have been seared from my memory.  Otherwise I would lose my mind.

~Mako

Tascosa Joe

I'm afraid when we go to the SEC we are going to have our heads handed to us most of the time.  I hope Coach Sherman gets our act together.

Thanks for the info.  I know what you mean about not looking at that part of the book.  I have McDowell's conversion book and I look at it when I see something I dont recognize.  I dont have any but think they are neat.  Saw one at the Gun Show yesterday, it was a Richards Type I.  Really rough and had been cut the 4 3/4 or so.

Thanks again for the help.

JR

Fingers McGee

Quote from: Mako on November 27, 2011, 04:35:41 PM
IYou might ask Fingers McGee about the value (if any) above the marked guns,  he is a serious 2nd Gen collector.  I'm sure someone who doesn't have that variant would consider it desirable.  I have also heard of guns put together with parts from the Signature Model series after it finished it's run that didn't have roll engraving.  I can't remember his name but there was someone who was a member on this site that had a bunch of the left over parts from that venture.  I contacted him about non roll engraved Navy cylinders because I have some Leech &  Rigdons that have the Colt's style roll marked cylinders.

~Mako

Blank cylinder F series Navies do bring a premium.  They command about 25% more than a standard F series Navy.  Latest Blue Book valuations are:  100% - $850; 98% - $550; 90% - $375; 80% - $300. 

The gentleman with the Sig series parts was Earle Brass.  I haven't heard from him in a while though.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Tascosa Joe

Fingers:
Thanks for the info.
T-Joe

Mako

Quote from: Fingers McGee on December 01, 2011, 12:35:35 PM
Blank cylinder F series Navies do bring a premium.  They command about 25% more than a standard F series Navy.  Latest Blue Book valuations are:  100% - $850; 98% - $550; 90% - $375; 80% - $300. 

The gentleman with the Sig series parts was Earle Brass.  I haven't heard from him in a while though.

Fingers,
Thank you...

Yep that's the guy.  I haven't corresponded with him in probably 2 or 3 years.  I wonder what he has left if anything?

See Joe?  I told you Fingers would know.

Regards,
Mako

Fingers McGee

Quote from: Mako on December 01, 2011, 02:31:45 PM

Yep that's the guy.  I haven't corresponded with him in probably 2 or 3 years.  I wonder what he has left if anything?

Regards,
Mako

It's been at least a year, and probably two since I corresponded with him.  Last email I sent him was inquiring if he had any 3rd model dragoon wedges left.  I have a bunged up one on a Garibaldi freak dragoon.  Never got a reply.  Hope he's still well

Fingers
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Tascosa Joe

ALL:
This Navy has been in the box and not messed with for years.  The grease or oil has dried up on the cylinder arbor and I cannot get the gun apart using normal methods.  I was thinking about spraying Balistol in the cracks to see if I could loosen it up.  I dont want to do anything that will scratch or mar the pistol.  Any thoughts.

T-Joe

Fingers McGee

Quote from: Tascosa Joe on December 07, 2011, 08:24:22 AM
ALL:
This Navy has been in the box and not messed with for years.  The grease or oil has dried up on the cylinder arbor and I cannot get the gun apart using normal methods.  I was thinking about spraying Balistol in the cracks to see if I could loosen it up.  I dont want to do anything that will scratch or mar the pistol.  Any thoughts.

T-Joe

Spraying it down with straight Balistol should loosen things up post haste.  That is what I use on all my C&Bs to clean, lube and protect them.

Tascosa Joe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com