Packing Iron Book

Started by daddyeaux, November 22, 2011, 10:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daddyeaux

I have seen you guys mention this book. I have done a little searching and found there are two books with this name and two different authors. Is there one book that is better than the other, is there one author better than the other? The two authors mentioned were, Richard Rattembury and Steve Hayes. I am looking for a good book to guide me on patterns.
Thanks guys. ???

St. George

You'll want to buy Rattenbury's, then.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Irish Dave

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Rattenbury
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Boothill Bob

Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Andy Rombach

Hey
Rattenbury is the like the holy bible!!!!

Have a great day
Andy Rombach

Slowhand Bob

How many have seen the one by Steve Hayes?  Would like to know its premise, does it deal primarily with modern leather?  Perhaps a check on Amazon.com is in order!

Long Juan

CAPT John (Long Juan) Soule
Texican Rangers, Fredericksburg, Texas
Plum Creek Shooting Society, Lockhart, Texas
SASS #84671 NCOWS #3322 STORM #368
GAF #737,  Department of Missouri, Division of Texas
www.tarryhollowgang.com

St. George

Hayes' book is just a paperback Western with a catchy title.

Rattenbury's 'Packing Iron' will show you what original leather looked like, along with the sidearms they carried - you're on your own for pattern-making.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Quote from: St. George on November 23, 2011, 11:10:23 AM
Hayes' book is just a paperback Western with a catchy title.

Rattenbury's 'Packing Iron' will show you what original leather looked like, along with the sidearms they carried - you're on your own for pattern-making.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

I don't find pattern making all that difficult.  Basically I use the procedure set out in the book YEE HAW, which I obtained from Tandy.  Is it time to start a thread on pattern making?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Slowhand Bob

Thanks for the inside on the fiction novel, might be a good one iffen I ever get caught up here.

Massive

There are a lot of patterns in the Leather Shop.  Too bad they aren't all in one place.  I have done a lot of searches, and still find new stuff now and then.

Will has some good patterns.  And he has them broken down for a lot of different models.  Once you have a pattern, a gun, and a style, melting them together should not be difficult.

ChuckBurrows

Yes Packing Iron by Rattenbury is the book to look for along with it's companions by ZON Publishing, Cowboys and the Trappings of the Old West and Cowgirls.

one caveat - While the three books are an excellent compendium of original artifacts and the info about them, they are still but a drop in the ocean of items made during the era. Unfortunately for those who don't have the advantage of getting to view much of the stuff in museums or private collections there isn't very other much well documented books or other info available.
Books like "The Peacemakers", "Cowboy and Gunfighter Collectibles" , and the several collectors books on western and cowboy antiques are additional good sources for examples of artifacts from the era. Then there are the museum webites and the auction house websites, such as Cowans, Gary Hendershott, Butterfields, etc. that allow one to view many artifacts that will most likely never appear outside of those resources and so are very worthwhile to research. The only caveat I have is Nif you are serious about producing dcoumented items than IMO NEVER take anything at face value, always cross reference with as many sources as possible just to "make sure".

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Drayton Calhoun

Had to order Packing Iron, supposed to be in Friday...just twiddling my thumbs til then!
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Deadeye Don

Quote from: Drayton Calhoun on December 15, 2011, 12:21:11 AM
Had to order Packing Iron, supposed to be in Friday...just twiddling my thumbs til then!

I thought it was out of print.  Did you buy a used one and just for kicks what did you have to pay for it?
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

joec

Quote from: Deadeye Don on December 15, 2011, 05:43:29 AM
I thought it was out of print.  Did you buy a used one and just for kicks what did you have to pay for it?

I just got a copy new from Amazon for $30 with free shipping that day only. I've been really enjoying it too I might add. I will probably get the Cowboys & the Trappings..., and I Can Tell from Your Outfit... The seem to push the 3 books together.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Trailrider

"Packing Iron" by Rattenbury is a topnotch book. The only caveat I offer about it is that is generally shows the top quality, survived leather, much of which is carved/stamped.  This is due to the fact that this is the best quality leather which has been cared-for and preserved.  Probably the majority of leather used in the West was cheap mail-order stuff that was plain-jane, and of much lower quality.  The ordinary ones I've encountered were made of rather thin leather...6-7 oz (6/64- 7/64" thick), rather than the more ornate ones of 8-9 oz or even heavier.  Most of the former just didn't hold up, which is why we don't see that many of them, and they don't make the pages of many publications for the reason that they simply don't exist anymore.  Just keep that in mind.  Just sayin'...
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Drayton Calhoun

Ordered it through Books A Million, forty-two bucks. Supposed to be here the 16th which it is now.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

joec

Quote from: Trailrider on December 15, 2011, 12:38:04 PM
"Packing Iron" by Rattenbury is a topnotch book. The only caveat I offer about it is that is generally shows the top quality, survived leather, much of which is carved/stamped.  This is due to the fact that this is the best quality leather which has been cared-for and preserved.  Probably the majority of leather used in the West was cheap mail-order stuff that was plain-jane, and of much lower quality.  The ordinary ones I've encountered were made of rather thin leather...6-7 oz (6/64- 7/64" thick), rather than the more ornate ones of 8-9 oz or even heavier.  Most of the former just didn't hold up, which is why we don't see that many of them, and they don't make the pages of many publications for the reason that they simply don't exist anymore.  Just keep that in mind.  Just sayin'...

I tend to agree. Some of the military gear shows some real wear on it.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Drayton Calhoun

Well, I am now officially in trouble...picked up the book and now the wheels are turning! LOL I'm gonna need more leather...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com