A couple more uses for PL-II

Started by Dick Dastardly, November 16, 2011, 04:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Dastardly

I've found Pearl Lube II (PL-II) to be a very fine black powder lube for use in Big Lube®LLC  bullets.  Sales indicate that others have had similar results.  I really like the wet muzzle on my long guns, the continuing accuracy and very easy clean up.

But, now I've found a couple more very good uses for PL-II.

First, it's the best stuff I've found yet for case forming.  I fire form 30-30 brass to make 38-55 brass.  I put 1.3cc of pistol powder under a case filled with cream of wheat or corn meal and top it off with a PL-II plug.  I push the PL-II plug in nice and tight.  It really seals the case and lets pressure build up in order to give a fully formed brass case.  The PL-II blows out clean and I don't have to use a bore brush to remove any residual meal or lube.

Second, I've been reloading 6.5mm Gibbs rounds.  I make them from 270, 280 or 30-06 brass.  I fire form the brass, read the paragraph above to learn how I'm doing it, and then I run the fire formed brass thru the full length sizing die.  This calls for case lube.  Since I ran out of anhydrous lanolin on my bench I was casting about for a replacement case lube.  There was that disk of PL-II I'd been using to plug charged brass for case forming.  I remembered how the stuff felt on my hands and decided to try it for case lube.  I simply smeared a pinch on my thumb and forefinger and rubbed it on the brass.  Presto pronto and wallah.  I've found a new case lube.  On think I really like about it beyond making my brass slide easy thru the dies is the ease that it wipes off the loaded ammo.

So, there you have it.  Two more uses for an already very useful Big Lube®LLC item.

Now, I'm off to pursue Bambi.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

cpt dan blodgett

Unless one of your secret ingredients is toxic might work well as lip balm or for diaper rash
2 sides of a coin, keep water in or keep water and solutes out
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Steel Horse Bailey

And it's pretty tasty on waffles ...

NOT!

;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

cpt dan blodgett

might keep them from sticking or leading

Waffles have been known to lead ones behind ifn you get the drift
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Steel Horse Bailey

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com