chrono results with A 5744 and NWMP

Started by will52100, November 12, 2011, 08:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

will52100

Finally got time to start working some smokeless loads up.

Here's my results using Accurate 5744 and a cast 350 grain bullet.

21 grains,
Averaged 1086fps, 1106 high and 1066 low, 39.7 ES, 15.2 SD

24 grains,
Averaged 1218fps, 1232 high and 1200 low, 31.6 ES, 13.5 SD

24.5 grains,
Averaged 1246fps, 1261 high and 1227 low, 33.5 ES, 14.5 SD

I only loaded 5 rounds of each, and did no accuracy testing.  I mainly wanted to see what velocities I was getting first.

Also I noticed unburned powder after the 24.5 grain string.  Should I bump up to the recommended max of 25 grains?  So far the 24 grains looks to be the most promising.

Velocities were a little lower than I was expecting, could this be due to the NWMP's shorter barrel?  Next batch I will try some black powder rounds to compare too as well.  Oh, and the bullets were well crimped.

Opinons?  
Thanks
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Joe Lansing

Is this THE 45-75 NWMP carbine, or one of those produced in 45-60?

JL

will52100

larryo_1

Will:
I tried 5744 and at 27 grains the velocities averaged 1376.2fps.  As far as accuracy was concerned, I was not impressed.  I tried Ken Waters' recommendation for 2400 and at 22.0 grains, altho the velocities were averaged at 1260 fps, the accuracy was good.  I went to 72.0 grains of Swiss 1½ BP and the velocity averaged 1422fps and the accuracy was great.  The bullet, at this time was Buff Arms 350 grain bullet.  Since then I have obtained a Hoch custom mold in that grain weight and am using it extensively.  One thing tho I should also mention is that my 45-75 has the earlier larger chamber and that has somewhat of an impact on my ballistics.  I don't know if this helps or not but in my opinion I don't use 5744 as a powder.  Just keep in mind that if you are after "Magnum" ballistics this is the WRONG rifle to use.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

will52100

No worries on trying to turn it into a "magnum", but I would like to get safely to near black powder velocities.  I tried Trail boss, but was under impressed.

I'll give 2400 a try,

thanks

larryo_1

The one other thing that I did do with the 2400 was to put a tuft of kapok on the powder and then chronographed it.  I got 1398 fps and the accuracy was pretty good.  That is pretty close to original velocities and there was no unburned powder in the barrel.  According to my Barnes ballistics program it computed to about 11 foot pounds of recoil which did not whop the crap out of me as some of my BP loads do. ;)
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

will52100

Thanks, I've got some puff-lon on order, will see how that works.

The next issue is to get the blasted thing on paper.  I rans some smokless and black powder loads through it and couldn't get on paper at 50 yards for anything.  Finaly moved up to 30' and it was printing about 1 1/2' high.  Guess I need to break out a big piece of cardboard and see what it's doing at 100 yards.  Though I don't know what I'll do about the sights, the front is brassed on, and no idea where I'd get a different rear.  Once I do that maybe I will work on the trigger pull.  It's nice to finally have some time to work with it.

larryo_1

As far as that trigger pull is concerned, I had one that came in at 12 pounds and reworked it till I got it down to about 5 pounds.  I think that Grizzley Adams might have some pointers for you on that also.  What I did was file the main spring down going parallel to the grain and then polished it  BUT I also had a spare in case I screwed that one up.  Don't know what to tell you about your accuracy other than talking to someone about the carbine.  I think that Hobie has one and could maybe give you some pointers. ;)
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

will52100

No worries, just need to put some time in on it and see where it's printing, then go from there.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Quote from: will52100 on November 13, 2011, 02:04:21 PM
Thanks, I've got some puff-lon on order, will see how that works.

The next issue is to get the blasted thing on paper.  I rans some smokless and black powder loads through it and couldn't get on paper at 50 yards for anything.  Finaly moved up to 30' and it was printing about 1 1/2' high.  Guess I need to break out a big piece of cardboard and see what it's doing at 100 yards.  Though I don't know what I'll do about the sights, the front is brassed on, and no idea where I'd get a different rear.  Once I do that maybe I will work on the trigger pull.  It's nice to finally have some time to work with it.

I have the Chappie NWMP carbine.  To get it shooting to the sights I have to hold a very fine bead.  Keep the front sight very low in the V-notch, just so it appears slightly higher than its apparent width.  Not sure if your carbine has the same sight regulation?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

will52100

Not sure, I've got a chappie NWMP as well and I silver soldered a taller front sight on, the one that came with it was buffed to non existence.  It I can hit with from 100 yards.  It's got a host of other problems, though.  The Uberti I've got has a taller front sight than the chappie came with, but a completely different rear.

I'm thinking of taking a 4x8' sheet of OSB and seeing just where the durn thing is hitting.

I'll get it figured out.  I really hate having to add to a front sight, it's so much easier to take metal off than to add it.

larryo_1

I don't know if this helps or not but my rifle is the rifle not the carbine and the sights were not, to say, the best.  What I did was put on an old Sheard front sight off a defunct '86 and for the rear sight I put on a copy of an original '76 ladder sight and my problems  then changed from the rifle to my age.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

will52100

The sights aren't bad, other than the front being durn near 1/8" too short.  They should work great out to say 100 yards, very open and should make good brush gun sights, but nothing like what I got on my 45-70 highwall, or any other peep sight gun.

I'll look into the sights your talking about.  The rear is dovetailed as well, but like I said, a bit more open than I like.  It's a carbine so I'm not thinking of putting a peep sight on, but it's tempting.

Forgot to add, the Uberti carbine has a dove tailed front sight, makes it a lot easier to work on than the chappie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com