Which Cast Bullet for the 44 Colt

Started by StrawHat, November 12, 2011, 05:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StrawHat

I was going to cast some lead for my 44 Colt and could not find my mold.  (Either lent it to someone or sold it to buy another mold.)  Regardless, I am looking for another mold to replace it.  I have found and read about the Lee 200 grain RNFP and the 200 MAv Dutchman offered by DD.  Are there other 200 grain boolits available.  What are your favorites and what do you recommend?

Thanks.

Just remembered, I was using a friends mold for the 43 caliber boolits.  Also squeezed down the 45 Collar Button boolit to fit the bore but that is alot of work.
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

Blackpowder Burn

I cast the 200 grain Mav Dutchman from DD.  It shoots well and the 6-cavity mold lets you produce a lot of bullets quickly.  It's hard to improve on that.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Bottom Dealin Mike

Ditto on the Mav Dutchman. I shoot it in .44 Russian, .44 Colt, .44 Spl and .44-40. Shoots well in all of them.

will52100

Mav Dutchman, I shoot it in 44 colt open tops.  I also have the Lee 200 grain RNFP and it shoots great with alox and smokless, though lately I've just loaded Mav Dutchmans with smokless, they work great for that too.  Then again I can't remember the last time I loaded smokeless in the 44's.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Mako

Another vote for the Mav Dutchman.  I use them for .44 Russian, .44 Colt, .44 Special and .44 WCF.  If I shot .44 Mag (or .44 Russian EXTRA long as Dick calls them) I'd use it for them as well.  I'd just lube them with BP lube for everything, even if you were considering smokiless.

I use the .38 Snake Bite Grease Wagons for my daughter's smokiless loads with BP lube, that way I only have to have one bullet and die set up for the Dillon in .38, I used to have two tool heads set up.  If you are shooting hot high velocity loads in .44 mag or .357 with smokiless then you need a different lube.  For anything to 1,400 fps the BP lube works great.

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Steel Horse Bailey

Add me to the 44 MAV Dutchman "Recommendation Club."

I buy mine from Springfield Slim.  www.whyteleatherworks.com/

I have cast my PRS 250 gr. BigLube (tm) boolits myself, but only recently began needing a good 44 cal. BP friendly boolit, so I buy these.  I'm about done casting my own lead anyway, and I'm not shooting as much as I used to.  I've bought my latest PRS boolits from Slim (Mark) as well.  He'll treat you right.
:(

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Dick Dastardly

The Mav Dutchman was designed by a shooter wanting continuous trouble free black powder shooting from his 44-40 guns.  It drops from the mold at .432" nominal.  The new issue DD Mav Dutchman molds differ from the originals by having a deeper crimp grove.  There had been some complaints that the old model Mav Dutchman bullets would have the crimp grove wiped out when they were sized down to .428".  The new issue Mav Dutchman Big Lube®LLC molds have deeper 0.015" crimp grove.  That's the only change.

I don't have any problems with the original Mav Dutchman molds, including the one I bought from the hands of old Mav himself, but I size my bullets down to .429" for my 44ELR ammo.  That's 44 Extra Long Russian for those of you in Rio Linda.  In heathen clothing it's named 44 Remington Magnum.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com