What do you all use for ArmiSport Spencer Loading Dies

Started by PvtGreg, November 08, 2011, 11:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PvtGreg

I'm really NOT liking my Lyman Dies, so I'm curious what you all use and/or recommend.

Thanks! - Pvt Greg

PvtGreg

Herbert

I use CH 4 dies for the original 56-50,they work fine with the Starline brass in booth the original and AS Spencers,but I now have a set of Lyman dies I have set up for a diffrent bullet lenth for the AS Spencer rifle,what problems are you having with the Lyman dies

PvtGreg

Hi Herbert,

The resizer/deprimer die breaking the deprimer pin. 

The expander die's expansion insert comes in two pieces that screw together.  The bottom piece pulled out of the top piece and stripped the threads.

Also I'm having issues putting a roll crimp on the cartridge.

I have a set of original Spencer dies from Larry Romano.  I'm going to try to use the loading die from that set and see if it helps.

In the mean time I'm in the market for a replacement set.

Pvt Greg

Herbert

I relly like the 2 peice expande plug,you can modify it to use as a compresion die as well as a expander die to be used at the same time very handy for BP,are you anealing your brass ,it would take a lot op pressure to strip the thread(abit of grafite on the expander or better still in the case mouth will fix this though)

PvtGreg

I'm now thinking of the set from http://www.ch4d.com/

I saw a post by Two Flints asking the membership about it.  All were high on the set.  According the the comments the loader/seater die puts a good roll crimp.

I've been reading a lot of posts and there's a lot of people that have the same issue I'm having.  Its seems to be due to using a case that's got think walls, like the Lebel brass I've been working with.  I've gotten around it by running the cartridges back up the re-sizing die.  Its just an extra set.

Herbert have you had this issue with the 50-70 brass you're using?

Thanks!

Herbert

Yes I have had trouble with the 50-70 brass untill I started reamingthe casse ,I do this with a adjustable reemer,is is slow but it improves acuracy and is easyer to load,this is why I am leaning towards 32 ga brass,and keep the Lebel brass for the Lebel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com