triple 7 in 45lc open top

Started by Cross-stixs, November 06, 2011, 01:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cross-stixs

:-\  Hi All

Can you safely use trip7 in a Uberti 45Lc open top.
New to cowboy action but would like to run BP or sub. in my open tops and win 73

Thanks
Neil

Coffinmaker

Don't know how much experience you've got with BP or Subs, But you may find 777 a might stout.  777 is somewhat hotter than BP both in temperature and power.  I don't think I would recommend a steady diet of 777 in an Open Top gun any more than I would factory smokeless at the SAMMI max.  The gun would take needless battering.

Coffinmaker

Cross-stixs

Thanks Coffinmaker

I was wondering about that. I normally use real BP or pyro. but the know it all local gun shop guy said
Triple 7 was best for all BP shooting.  I guess he must have had too much in stock ? 

wildman1

I have 9/10 of a can of that stuff I tried. Just couldn't seem ta get any affection for it. I'd rather shoot some old dirty Elephant. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Goody

I shoot 777 in my 38 and 44 open tops. Filled to compression was a might stout, now use about equal amounts of 777 and grits for a milder load. The subs also allow for the use of standard, readily available, hard lubed bullets. Clean up is snap.

Slowhand Bob

As I understand it the military even left full case loads of regular black powder behind in the '73 models, due to heavy recoil.  If you do not wish to deal with the lube problems associated with real black powder you might take a look at a bp sub called APP.  This allows you to use the cheaper and cleaner smokeless lubed or even unlubed bullets while making smoke.  Most of the rest of the black powder rules will still apply though.  You can even take your .45 to another level now by using the Cowboy .45 Special brass to load some really reduced powder loads, these things supposedly have a case capacity that is equal to the .45ACP brass.

Lefty Dude

I found that for a nice sub-BP powder we use APP. About 18 gr's, with Grits on top as a filler, with 1/16" of compression and a 200 gr. pill on top. This is our load for 45 Colt and 44-40 for the 73. Lots of Smoke, and plenty good for banging CAS/SASS steel.

For me Triple Seven is a little quick and hot . I prefer the low pressure of the APP or BP-FFF.

The 12 ga. Brass shell's, I load with Goex FF.

The Military loads of the period used Cork fillers for reduced loads.

Mad Dog Jack

I have shot 45 cal Open Tops for three years now, I switched to 45 S&W cases real soon, as the 45 LC loads are pretty stout for a gun designed for 44 rimfire. I was given some 777 and used it with some 200 gr non BP lubed bullets I had to try it out, it makes for a load quite a bit sharper in recoil than BP, personally I would not beat up my guns by shooting a steady diet of full BP loads in 45LC, let alone with 777.
There are reports, which I have never seen an example of, of 45 cal OTs having the forcing cone split because of the thinner metal there as compared to 38s or 44s from shooting a steady diet of normal to heavy 45 LC loads... but all the other OTs I've seen used were 38s. A steady diet of 777 may contribute to this.
I've also read that while 777 likes to be just slightly compressed that you can download the powder like smokeless and have an air gap in the case...this is something I have no experience with and would personally not try without more reliable info.
NEVER drink downstream beer!
STORM #318

Slowhand Bob

Guys, as stated earlier, the new short cased .45 Special brass makes for a real tame load and I figure that the reduced powder requirements plus the use of standard lubed bullets will more than offset the cost and aggravation of using full case loads of real 45 Colt bp loads and special lubed bullets.  Aside from cartridge loading I use real bp in the shotguns and cap and ball pistols.

Though not the recommended practice, I now keep all of my real bp loading restricted to FFG (ordering logistics) and have had no complaints that were serious enough to make me change.  Though this includes a slight bit of use in the .36 revolvers also, I mostly use .44s.  I have been given permission to use my .32s at the local monthly matches and not sure if this might not be just a bit to small for FFG, anyone tried this in the .32s and was it sufficient for SASS use or do I really need to acquire a can of FFF for these Lilliputians?

Abilene

Quote from: Cross-stixs on November 06, 2011, 08:36:19 PM
... I normally use real BP or pyro. but the know it all local gun shop guy said
Triple 7 was best for all BP shooting.  I guess he must have had too much in stock ? 

A lot of people who have never shot real BP like 777.  Why?  Because it is easy.  As mentioned, you can use regular hardcast bullets with regular lube.  But even though you get all the smoke, you don't get the same sound, flame, or smell.   So, IMO, 777 (or APP) is "easiest" for BP shooting.  But BP is "best" for BP shooting. 

As for myself, I have been using regular hardcast bullets (with the hard lube melted out) in my pistol ammo with real BP for about 12 years now.  No lube at all in the cartridge.  I just squirt a blob of butter-flavored Crisco over the first two rounds to be shot, and that provides enough lube for all 5 shots.  No problem.  It is also easy to load them down a bit.  I use 25gr of FFg and top it off with grits.    Now, ya can't squirt Crisco on top of rifle ammo, so I have bought unlubed bullets suitable for BP and lube them myself.  I have used APP and 777 in the rifle as well, but for me it is worth the extra effort to shoot real BP in the rifle. 

Cross-stixs

Thanks every one for your input

These are my first open tops and don't want to over work them. besides black powder is fun
now i know the originals were 45cal. with a  44 rim fire case would the 45 cowboy case be close in power to the 44rim case

Mad Dog Jack

It's the same as the round used in the original Henry... and I'm not sure how much BP was in them, but the 45 Cowboy would make a fine load for OTs. The 45S&W is about half was between the 45 Cowboy and the LC. I have shot my S&W loads in my 73 with no feeding problems but to shoot the 45 Cowboy in a Marlin or a 73 take some modification of the rifle. That's in case you want to keep things simple as far as reloading goes and load one load for rifle and pistol. I don't, and load 45 LC for my rifles.
STORM #318

Cross-stixs

Thanks Mad Dog Jack

I was kinda thinking of running them in my 73 to.
So there is no problem with rim size or anything with the 45 S&W

Mad Dog Jack

Not that I've come accross, I have shot them in my Marlin, 73, and AWA Lightning. Starline brass
STORM #318

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com