What does it mean to be "Period Correct"?

Started by Bugscuffle, November 04, 2011, 12:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bugscuffle

Rather than hijack Delmonico's thread, below, on "period correct", I will try to open a discussion on what it means to me, and hopefully some of you to be "period correct".
To me it is dressing in clothing that is as similar as I can get to the 1870's to 1890's. It means using guns that although they are modern manufactured products, are as close to the originals as safety rules will allow. Yes my 1873 clone revolvers have firing pin blocks and my 1892 Rossi has a safety on top. Even my SXS is hammerless and has an automatic safety, but I can forgive myself those little variances. I really enjoy the SASS "Classic Cowboy" costuming style. It adds something to my experience, and I enjoy seeing all of the other costumes. It definitely adds to the experience. Others may get pretty particular about the guns or the clothing. I'm not the one to be the costume police, but I do think that it should be kept within reason. I guess that it all depends on what your comfort level is with your costuming. Forme it's "Clasic Cowboy". I draw the line (for myself, that is) at straw hats, belt loops and lace up boots. How do all y'all feel about it?
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Tascosa Joe

Mr. Bugs:
I like what you write.  I shot Classic Cowboy in SASS before it was a class, today I shoot NCOWS only.   I have champagne taste with a beer pocket book, I shoot repro rifles I have a brass framed Henry and a '73 clone, most of my pistols are either Colt or USFA although I do have a Cimarron Open Top.  I have attempted to make my outfit correct to 1878-1884 period.  I have an old pair of Buerman spurs, and I carry a large Hampton pocket watch.  The watch is a family piece from my wife's family.  As I age I am starting to change my outfit, because in the 1800's 65 was to dang old to be a cowboy anymore.  I am working on a General Store owner or some sort of a businessman personna.  MTF
Not everyone was a cowboy and that is why I like NCOWS.  You can build a really cool outfit, that uses lace up shoes and non cowboy clothes.   We had a guy show up to shoot in Sept that had a pair of Florishim shoes that reminded me of the beatle boots of the 60's.  Anyway I told him I was not sure if they would work.  I looked in the 1895 Wards Catalog and there they were.
My point to this whole ramble is you dont have to be a cowboy to be period correct.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Delmonico

I'm going to add there are far more things that are Period Correct than a lot of folks claim, but often those are the ones who don't do much research.

One of my favorites is when someone says hats with modern crown shapes are not Period Correct.

But this crop from a Butcher photo is dated 1886.

Sometimes it's just a improper use of words, such as "No tennis shoes allowed>" 

So what did these folks wear when they played?  Modern athletic shoes is what they should have said.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Tascosa Joe

It took me a while to figure out the hat thing.  You cropped that out of the Butcher collection, most of the pictures I have seen with the creased crown's are in the 1890's.   

NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Delmonico

Quote from: Tascosa Joe on November 04, 2011, 09:41:05 AM
It took me a while to figure out the hat thing.  You cropped that out of the Butcher collection, most of the pictures I have seen with the creased crown's are in the 1890's.   

There are quite a few in the 1860's also.  Let me see if I can find some of them real quick.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Henry4440

Quote from: Delmonico on November 04, 2011, 09:14:29 AM
I'm going to add there are far more things that are Period Correct than a lot of folks claim, but often those are the ones who don't do much research.

Amen!!!

I would say, these guys are PC

;)

Delmonico

Quote from: Lonesome Henry on November 04, 2011, 10:08:26 AM

Amen!!!

;)

I don't know, some would say not, or at least if you showed up that way. ;)

Didn't find what I'm looking for, got outside, before winter projects I need to get to.  I'll try to find a certain book and do some scans later.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

NCRanger

I'm not convinced that straw "Gus" type hats are not authentic. When I was researching the Texas Rangers and viewing pictures of them, I remember some were wearing sombrero type hats that appeared to look as if they were constructed of straw.
That is why I chose a straw "Gus" type hat.
I opine that back then people tended to wear what they could easily obtain.
Just a thought and the caveat that I'm not a historian.
"Long days and pleasant nights!"

Trailrider

Many Army troops bought straw "planter's" hats at the local sutler's store for use in the field in hot weather.  Yes, I have photos in books, especially, "With Crook in the Black Hills" c. 1874-76.  Just not sure how to post them. But they are there!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Steel Horse Bailey

I add this only as my opinion, but it is based on seeing a LOT of hats in old pictures.

I doubt you could make your hat styled in some way that wasn't tried back then.  People are people, and folks who want to make their hat look like it is part of THEM will try about anything.  Gus crease, Cavalry type, Rancher, whatever.  It's probably been tried already ... a hunnert years ago!

Now styles ... that's a different thing.  Prevailing styles like what is popular NOW, might not have been common then, but I'll bet some Jasper back in 1870 (for just picking a year) ended up with his hat creased and folded (bent) like what may be popular now.

YMMV!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Caleb Hobbs

Quote from: Lonesome Henry on November 04, 2011, 10:08:26 AM

Amen!!!

;)

That is one cool photo. Is that California Joe Milner on the right?

Delmonico

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

wildman1

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on November 17, 2011, 09:10:47 AM
I add this only as my opinion, but it is based on seeing a LOT of hats in old pictures.

I doubt you could make your hat styled in some way that wasn't tried back then.  People are people, and folks who want to make their hat look like it is part of THEM will try about anything.  Gus crease, Cavalry type, Rancher, whatever.  It's probably been tried already ... a hunnert years ago!

Now styles ... that's a different thing.  Prevailing styles like what is popular NOW, might not have been common then, but I'll bet some Jasper back in 1870 (for just picking a year) ended up with his hat creased and folded (bent) like what may be popular now.

YMMV!

SHB, I'm thinkin the Cowboy crease may have been the most prevelent one goin back then. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Steel Horse Bailey

WildMan, you may be right.  My wife says I ought to know, but I keep tellin' her I'm not that old!

:o   ::)

;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Ima Sure Shot

I have been re- reading "Son of the Morning Star" (I have left it in the camper so cannot tell you what page) it is stated in that book that due to the heat Reno bought a straw hat along with several of the men from a trader that came down the river just before the battle of the "Battle of the Little Bighorn".  It also says Reno must have been some sight as he lost his straw hat and tied his hankerhief on his head during the battle. Also states when Sitting Bull  was brought down the River on the boat after his surrender he wore green wire goggles. Interesting book.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com