Hayden Geological Survey of 1871

Started by Henry4440, November 03, 2011, 10:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry4440

The Hayden Geological Survey of 1871 explored the region of northwestern Wyoming that later became Yellowstone National Park in 1872. It was led by geologist Ferdinand Vandeveer Hayden. The 1871 survey was not Hayden's first, but it was the first federally funded, geological survey to explore and further document features in the region soon to become Yellowstone National Park and played a prominent role in convincing the U.S. Congress to pass the legislation creating the park.

Pack Train

William H. Jackson

Alfred Smith, Assistant to the topographer

Fred Huse, Ornithologist

Jackson, Peale, Dixon and Turnbull in camp at Fort Hall, September 19, 1871

Carrington, Negley and Logan in camp during survey

José and Joe Clark, Hunters, 1871 

Clifford Negley

Camp

George B. Dixon, Photographer assistant, 1871

Dr. Charles Turnbull, Physician

Members of the survey

;)

Four-Eyed Buck

Trapdoors and a Sharps? 1871, those TD's were probably 50-70's......... ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

JimBob

I've always thought those pictures taken of the Hayden Survey were some of the best showing gear and clothing during that period.The rifle in Jackson's picture is especially interesting.

Tascosa Joe

The rifle in the Jackson period looks to be a custom rifle.  To my eye, it looks like a cut down rifle rather than a carbine, with an English style trigger guard similar to what was on a Hawken.  Way cool.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Henry4440

JimBob

Quote from: Tascosa Joe on November 04, 2011, 08:02:25 AM
The rifle in the Jackson period looks to be a custom rifle.  To my eye, it looks like a cut down rifle rather than a carbine, with an English style trigger guard similar to what was on a Hawken.  Way cool.

There's a picture of Custer holding a sporterized .50-70 rifle very similiar to that one.

Henry4440

Quote from: JimBob on November 04, 2011, 05:14:59 PM
There's a picture of Custer holding a sporterized .50-70 rifle very similiar to that one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com