New Rolling Block!

Started by Skyrider, October 30, 2011, 12:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyrider

I purchased a new John Bodine Rolling Block Rifle from Taylor & Co. sometime back,, using their catalog and the Pederosli webb sight to view this particular rifle. Now both showed the John Bodine model with real nice fancy walnut. I also told the two women at Taylors that this rifle "must" have excellent walnut on the rifle and I would pay extra if need be.

I was told by Taylors, no need for the extra money, as they do have very nice wood. It took at least an extra month to get the rifle and when I did open the box, I was very disapointed to say the least. It was fitted with "plan jane" walnut stock,. similar to one of my lever guns in Marlin and Winchester............NOT fancy walnut as told and shown in the catalog. You would think that a rifle that cost $1,800 dollarss, would be as they advertise it in the catalog and on the bill of sale.

I then called Taylor & Co., telling the boss women of the substandard walnut on the rifle. She then started to crawfish, telling me it was the finest wood stock that Pedersoli puts on their rifles. I told her that my paid receipt even states this rifle to be fine walnut and it is far from such a grade of wood. Then she told me, that she would get back to me and so far has not done so. I won't be purchasing any more  guns from Taylor's & Company folks. This is the first gun I have ever brought home without holding it in my hands first. My Pa told me years ago, "never buy a horse that you have never thrown your leg over, good  common sence.
IRISH MIKE

Otter

Quote from: Skyrider on October 30, 2011, 12:41:41 AM"never buy a horse that you have never thrown your leg overe"
Sound wisdom that is. It is a shame that it is a "buyer beware" state of affairs in this day and age. Just so you realize, "nice wood" and "Plain Jane wood" can be, and usually is, the same. Since you specifically said "semi-fancy" or "fancy" wood and they sent plain, straight grained wood, I would also be disappointed. Sometimes, semantics does make a difference, that seems to be the case with Taylors. Sorry for your bad experience with this rifle.

The only BPCR rifles I have bought sight unseen were from Shiloh Sharps and I spoke with them and/or saw pictures of the rifles prior to purchase. The rifles were everything I was told they were - one was born 10 years ago and one a month ago.
I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

WaddWatsonEllis

I fell in love with the John Bodine, but had heard things about Pedersoli sites ... so I bought the S865 (Silhouette Model with Open Sites) in .45-70 and added Montana Vintage Arms front tunnel/bubble (# 113) and a ladder, tang mounted rear site from MVA also (# 103).

I promised myself that it would be a Christmas present to myself (the only kind I seem to get...*S*), do it will first be fired in late December ....

But for all practical purposes, it IS a John Bodine model .... and the stock is a fine, working Walnut ... which is fine by me ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

cpt dan blodgett

Nice looking rifle.  Just sent an e-mail off to montana Bullet works for 100 each of a couple of the SACO bullets 645 & 881, sized .459 will let you  know how they shoot.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

WaddWatsonEllis

I would love to hear about your bullets and how you found them to work ...As for me, after reading Mike Venturini's Book, I am looking at the lyman 535 gr # 457132.It is th original bullet cast in the Gov't .45-70 cartridges, and again Mr Venturini states that it is a good first try round 'Cause it might be the only bullet/cartridge combo one ever needs to experiment with ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Skyrider

Well fellar's the rifle, the John Bodine model, is shown in the Taylor catalog and has the very same picture on the PEDEROSOLI Sight!

This was discussed over the phone several times with both women, and the invoice I have does state FINE WALNUT!!!

I am still waiting to hear from them on the matter. I stated to both parties at Taylors that the stock & forearm were to be exceptional as this was going on display at our gunclub later next month.
IRISH MIKE

WaddWatsonEllis

Skyruder,

I feel your pain ... I really do.

But my expectation is to shoot the things and not let them hang on a wall .... and I don't run in circles that would ever want me to display something ... ... I have always felts that if it shoots good and makes me olld adequate to good, that the rifle has done yeoman's work and I shouldn't ask for more  ...

Still, if I had intentionally ordered something to be a 'show stopper', I would be p***ed if I got an ordinary rifle ...

NCOWS #3403

Skyrider

WaddWatsonElis, this John Bodine Rolling Block was to be shown at our gun clubs big Cowboy Shoot last month. Those group of Cowboy shooters earned over $5,000 dollars for a charity that purchases dogs for those humans who need help getting around etc. This is why I wanted this rifle to be such an eye pleasure to those who viewed it at the weekend matches.

I do hope that Taylor & Co. will rectify their stand on this matter. However, it they don't, I will inform the NRA and other various  groups of shooters of my experience with them on this matter. First off I will inform Pedersoli via a phone call and a letter with a copy of the invoice! The wife and I really don't have any wall hangers either but we do  certainly have some very nice stocks on most of them.

I just sent a .470-Capstick for restocking and I am putting together a new Pac-Nor barrel 6.5/06 for my hunting needs in the near future. Next year perhaps, I hope to be fortune enough to place a model 1876 model 50-95 in our collection.
IRISH MIKE

Ranch 13

Not quite sure what to tell you but all they say about the stock is it's select walnut.
Premium like you think you should of got would cost some 250 $ or more extra.
For the 1900 dollars you spent on that Italian import, you could of added a bit and got a good US crafted rifle from Lonestar, and probably got a better piece of wood.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

WaddWatsonEllis

Skyrider,

I had to re read my post and see what I said that pertubed you ...

But the whole thing is in the first sentence ... I should have stopped there.

Best wishes on your club event .... as you said, it certainly is a good cause !!

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com