video - 44-40 @ 300 meters - steel javelina

Started by w44wcf, October 27, 2011, 09:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

w44wcf

One of my very favorite things to do is to shoot my 44-40's at extended distances. ;D  

Back in 1875, Winchester claimed that their 1873 Winchester was effective and accurate out to 500-600 yards and based on my experiences, they were speaking from  experience.

Here's a video I took recently with my camera (I need to get a good movie camera....perhaps for christmas) at Ridgway Rifle club located in Ridgway, PA.  My apologies for the background noise which was due to the wind.

TARGETS....
I was shooting at the steel javelina targets which are the second group out.  They stand 300 meters (327 yards) distant from the muzzle. They are 9" high x 22" long.....a bit thin on elevation but good on windage.

Close up...

AMMUNITION....
Ammunition was handloaded to replicate the early 44-40 factory black powder ammunition which developed 1,300 f.p.s.   Powder used was SWISS FFG pushing a copy of the original 2 groove bullet...the Ideal / Lyman 427098*.

STATS .... bullet flight time - .94 sec / impact velocity: 800 f.p.s.

Here's the video. I was shooting at bank 7.  Go to full screen to get the correct view (left click lower right hand corner ..ESC to go back to small screen) Again, my apologies for the wind noise.

The 44-40 / ammo combo did a great job....especially in the conditions that day! ;D ;D  

*Bullets made from Accurate Mold 43-210B  (Fairshake development) .429" diameter / flat bottomed lube grooves
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-210B-D.png
Lube: SPG

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Long Johns Wolf

Excellent shooting, my congrats!
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Marshal Deadwood

Junkman

That was very good shooting. What rifle were you shooting?

Bottom Dealin Mike

Great shooting! The wind noise didn't bother me. I gave it a thumbs-up on YouTube.

Paladin UK

Bloody Brill !!
Paladin (Whats reeeel :o impressed :o ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Mako

w44wcf,
Nice demonstration!

I'm assuming that was your Marlin.  Do you have enough elevation left on your tang sight for the 500 meter Rams?  (That's a hint...)  If you did that, then I would start calling you the Billy Dixon of the .44WCF.

Actually I think you can do it.

Regards,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Bryan Austin

Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

john boy

... Great shooting John, good solid hits!  Give the shooter a Five Pin. Iron sights or a scope?
If a 45 Colt will reach the Rams, don't see a hardship why the 44's won't.  You game?
PS - I'm hurting.  Homer looks lonely and 2012 will be the next trip to Ridgway
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Henry4440

fourfingersofdeath

Great shooting, I couldn't figure out which targets you were hitting, even though I watched it twice, I will have another look tomorrow morning when I'm not so tired (maybe use the full screen option, D'Oh!).

If you go to a music store with your camera/video, they should be able to sell you a piece of acoustic foam that goes over speakers. You may have to cut one to fit. That should cut the wind noise down dramitically.

Must get a tang sight for my 44/40 Uberti 73 sporting rifle.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Rafe Covington

If there is nothing in your life worth dying for than you are already dead

fourfingersofdeath

Got it! I thought you were shooting at the third row. Second time around this time, I caught one falling over out of the corner of my eye, replayed it all and easy to see when you know where they were. Like you said, good run. Well done. I have several moulds for the 44, I must see how they go, probably should just go out and buy the moould you used.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

WV Scrounger

Now That's what it's ALL about !!!!   Sweet range too !, wish we had one that BIG...SIZE DOES MATTER . ;D

Lucky R. K.

That is very impressive.  Thanks for sharing.

Lucky  ;D
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

w44wcf

Pards,
Thank you for the kind words  ;D  Certainly there was a bit of luck thrown in...especially with the somewhat windy conditions, but the good ole' 44-40 came through.

To answer some of your questions:
Rifle: Marlin Cowboy Ltd - 24" barrel - groove diameter .428"
Sight:The main purpose of my trip to Ridgway was to test the ACCURATE MOLD bullet 43-215C for accuracy at 300 meters so I mounted a 4X scope to eliminate any sighting error. I'll post my results with the 43-215C a bit later which were pretty good.

In the past I have shot both my 1873 Winchester and Marlin cowboy at 300 meters using tang / receiver sights and on a good day with good lighting conditions, shooting from a rest, the javelina don't stand a chance ;D ......that is....if  have the sights set correctly.......

Mako,
Several years ago I did try my '73 Winchester at 500 meters with somewhat surprising results...on one occasion I got lucky with a 5x10 ;D after I got it sighted in. That was with smokeless though. I'll be giving it a go with my Marlin in 2012. ;D 

John Boy,
See you in Ridgway in 2012!

w44wcf

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

john boy

QuoteSee you in Ridgway in 2012!
Yep, tis sad John the logging and the weather now up there precludes another trip this year.  But I'm thinking the BP 22LR's on the chickens and even maybe a few at the pigs would be fun in the Spring!  I'll bring a video cam recorder to document the event

Am also going to bring the 220 Swift with the newly added 36x scope to see how the steel fall on the new high bore silhouette range
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...

Devote Convert to BPCR

john boy

QuoteSeveral years ago I did try my '73 Winchester at 500 meters with somewhat surprising results...5x10 Grin after I got it sighted in. That was with smokeless though.
One day back in 2007 at Ridgway, John was spotting and I was shooting the '60 Henry with smokeless and stock sights.  When one has an excellent spotter, here's what can be accomplished with 45 Colts at 500 meters using 300gr Casulls (2 shots - 2 down) ...

IIRC, the rest of the bank went down too but not with sequential hits  

Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...

Devote Convert to BPCR

Fairshake

John, I can't thank you enough for taking time from your life and do something that I can not because of my health. I felt that the bullet design that I sent to accurate moulds would be a good long range bullet instead of all the others made with the large grooves. I was so happy to see the video and I called my wife from the kitchen to watch it also. She had a big grin on her face and said that she owed you one for making me smile again. All the accolades in the world are being sent to you by my wife and I.
She understands that I feel bad about my shooting and not being able to go outside and shoot some good ole black powder. I wish I could have been sitting at your side .
My health has not been that great. I am having to breathe oxygen and my wife and I were sitting here watching a movie and I got a huge headache. We took my pressure and it was 181/84. My wife called 911 and when they arrived my BP was at 202/94. They brought me to the ER and after about a 5 hour stay it came down to 111/45 and they released me.
I will fill you in later.
I thank you again for being such a good friend and taking time to prove that my design is a good one for the 44-40.
Your Louisiana Pal David Shultz AKA Fairshake
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Bryan Austin

Quote from: Fairshake on October 30, 2011, 12:29:13 PM
John, I can't thank you enough for taking time from your life and do something that I can not because of my health. I felt that the bullet design that I sent to accurate moulds would be a good long range bullet instead of all the others made with the large grooves. I was so happy to see the video and I called my wife from the kitchen to watch it also. She had a big grin on her face and said that she owed you one for making me smile again. All the accolades in the world are being sent to you by my wife and I.
She understands that I feel bad about my shooting and not being able to go outside and shoot some good ole black powder. I wish I could have been sitting at your side .
My health has not been that great. I am having to breathe oxygen and my wife and I were sitting here watching a movie and I got a huge headache. We took my pressure and it was 181/84. My wife called 911 and when they arrived my BP was at 202/94. They brought me to the ER and after about a 5 hour stay it came down to 111/45 and they released me.
I will fill you in later.
I thank you again for being such a good friend and taking time to prove that my design is a good one for the 44-40.
Your Louisiana Pal David Shultz AKA Fairshake

I too thank you and 44wcf for the work! I never had a doubt the the 44-40 was as good and accurate at 300 yards from the Winchester 73' as the Colt SAA was at 25-50ft. If a medium game animal can be killed at 25ft with an 800fps projectile, it can also be killed at 300yards with the same power!  Please tell me I am correct! (fingers crossed)  ;D
Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com