.43 Spanish

Started by Drayton Calhoun, October 22, 2011, 04:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drayton Calhoun

Anybody know where to get or how to make brass for a .43 Spanish? I am getting a 71 Mauser in this oddball chambering and brass is definately an issue!
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Mad Mucus

Did you try google, .43 spanish brass?  ;)
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."

pony express

I would try Buffalo arms, maybe Graf's, too.

DJ

Are you sure it's .43 Spanish and not .43 Mauser?  The cases are similar but not interchangeable.  Bullet diameter for the Spanish is generally given as .439, while the Mauser is generally touted as .446, although both of these diameters can vary.  A '71 Mauser in .43 Spanish would have to be a conversion (bolt head opened up and bore reduced--new barrel or maybe relined).  This would be a lot of work for a very minimal cartridge change and I've never heard of anyone doing it.  That said, Buffalo Arms would be a good choice.  Track of the Wolf may also be a good bet for components and information.  If you search their site for "43 Spanish" they have several pages of caliber-specific products (books, dies, moulds, powder, etc.) so you can see what is needed or might be useful.  Some people also make brass from .348 Winchester, but this requires a lathe for best results.

All that said, I would sure double-check the caliber with the gun in hand before buying components.  .43 Spanish brass is expensive, but it would seem even more costly if it didn't even fit your rifle.

Good luck with your new acquisition.

--DJ

Dick Dastardly

I think the original chambering for this rifle was 11mm.  I'm unsure if this was the same as the 43 Spanish, or not.  I found this data on line. . . "77.16 grains of black powder, it fired a 387 grain lead bullet with a muzzle velocity of 1340 fps."  Winchester 348 brass can be made to work, but the case head is thinner.

DD
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Hell-Er High Water

DC,
Chances are that this is in 11MM Mauser caliber (nominally 43 caliber).  Do a chamber cast to make sure.  The 11 MM Mauser has a very long neck, about 7/8" long, much longer than the neck on a 43 Spanish.  The next thing to do is to slug the bore to check for the bullet diameter needed.  As noted by others, the bores can vary all over the place.

I have been making, reloading and shooting the 11MM Mauser cartridge for several years.  My particular rifle takes a 0.450" dia bullet.  I use the RCBS 44-370-FN bullet cast from Lyman No. 2 alloy.  My best load is 36.5 gr of Varget powder.  I have tried other powders but this works the best in my rifle.  While the exterior of my rifle is not in mint condition the bore is near perfect and this load will shoot 2", 10 shot groups at 100 yards, if I do my part.

Now for the cases.  This is a bit involved and requires the use of a lathe but it does produce an almost indestructable case.  Start with a 458 Win Mag case and turn the belt off to a dia of 0.513" 0.514".  Drill & ream a brass washer so that it just slips over the turned off belt.  Crimp the washer into the extractor groove and then solder the washer in place with low temp solder.  The low heat needed with this type of solder along with the strength of the 458 case provides a reliable case for the low pressures involved with this caliber.  Turn the rim to 0.586" dia and remove metal from the front of the rim to get a thickness of 0.091".  This case has what is refered to as a 'Mauser Type A' base, in that the rear of the rim is rebated.  The 458 rim diameter provides this reduced diameter.  There is more to it than that but that's what I do for the rim modifications.  I have a full set of printed steps that I use and if you want a copy eMail me at wrheller@sbcglobal.net with your mailing address and I will send you a copy.

Good luck with you new rifle.

HHW

JimBob

.43 Spanish brass is available from several sources.The only supplier of .43 Mauser(ie. 11mm Mauser) I've found is Rocky Mountain Cartridge.It's rather expensive at $65 per box of 20.

Drayton Calhoun

As I said, it was left to me by my late friend and he thought it was .43 Spanish, I actually have no idea. Haven't seen the rifle in 25 years. Thanks, everyone, very helpful, would have hated going to all the trouble to get the wrong brass and dies!
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

StrawHat

Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

Cherokee Reb

If it is a .43 Spanish , brass is available from www.trackofthewolf.com and you can order any amount you want at about $2.40 each. I recently traded for an old Rolling Block in that caliber and used that brass to load a few test cases. Worked well. I also got cast, sized and lubes .439 370 gr bullets from Western Bullets at $21 per 50 shipped if you want to try a few rounds before you buy your own mold.

CR
Member SASS,NCOWS and Knob Creek Regulators

StrawHat

The M71 Mauser was cut for the 11 mm Mauser (43 Mauser) cartridge.  I doubt anyone would have rechambered it for the 43 Spanish. 

john boy

QuoteAnybody know where to get or how to make brass for a .43 Spanish? I am getting a 71 Mauser in this oddball chambering and brass is definitely an issue!
Drayton, any conclusions or results as to what the chamber is?
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

JimBob

Quote from: Cherokee Reb on October 24, 2011, 06:48:33 AM
If it is a .43 Spanish , brass is available from www.trackofthewolf.com and you can order any amount you want at about $2.40 each. I recently traded for an old Rolling Block in that caliber and used that brass to load a few test cases. Worked well. I also got cast, sized and lubes .439 370 gr bullets from Western Bullets at $21 per 50 shipped if you want to try a few rounds before you buy your own mold.

CR

I've got one also.There's a good shooter oriented book on loading for this caliber available from http://www.cisternpublishing.org

Chase

Buffalo Arms makes brass from 348 Winchester cases.  Initially, I bought some 348 brass and tried to shape it myself. It wasn't worth the effort.  Picked up Lee dies for 43 spanish from them too.  They are very helpful.
Chase
NCOWS
NRA
VisionQuest '87 PA to FL via covered wagon
"If everything isn't black and white, I say, "Why the hell not?"--John Wayne

Drayton Calhoun

No, no resolution as of yet, still trying to get everything set up for shipment. The Mauser and the BP weapons should be no major problem, except for the fact that the Mauser is bolt-action. Regardless of age and antiquity, some folks still have a problem with shipping a bolt-action just playing it safe. My friend's widow isn't very gun savvy and trying to explain proceedures via email is not easy. I'm also not pushing due to her grief. He also had a .54 Sharon and a Euroarms Enfield Musketoon, both of which can be a bit of a pain removing the barrel for a non-gun person.

john boy

Drayton, for starters to determine what caliber it is when it does arrive, take these measurements of the chamber:

43 Spanish (11.15x58R)

Rim Diameter - 0.635
Ctg Length - 2.25

43 Mauser (11x60R, or 11.15x60R)

Rim Diameter - 0.465
Ctg Length - 2.35
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...

Devote Convert to BPCR

Cherokee Reb

I shot a batch of .43 Spanish rounds through my Rolling Block and was quite happy. I Used cast bullets from WesternBullets.com ( $21/50 sized.lubed and shipped) and received them in less than a week.

The first batch were loaded with 75 gr of APP and the second batch with 78gr of Pyrodex. The APP shot a bit cleaner, but both shot to POA at 50 yards with 2 inch groups max.

Again, the brass came from TOTW , but I noticed the bag was marked Buffalo Arms, so either source will do and are priced the same.

Good luck.

Mingo
Member SASS,NCOWS and Knob Creek Regulators

Drayton Calhoun

Begining to look like I may have to drive out to Las Vegas to pick them up, which probably won't happen for a while. Doc still doesn't want me to make long trips until they get my BP straightend out.

StrawHat

Quote from: Drayton Calhoun on November 20, 2011, 06:09:10 PM
Begining to look like I may have to drive out to Las Vegas to pick them up, which probably won't happen for a while. Doc still doesn't want me to make long trips until they get my BP straightend out.

Good to know you have a Doctor that understands black powder.  They are fairly uncommon so listen to him and learn!  Patience is something I have only recently gotten a handle on.  Good luck and the anticipation will keep you young.

john boy

QuoteDoc still doesn't want me to make long trips until they get my BP straightend out.
Good to know you have a Doctor that understands black powder blood pressure
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...

Devote Convert to BPCR

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com