Rapine 535370 Mold

Started by cwbuff, October 19, 2011, 03:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwbuff

Does anyone know a source of cast bullets from a Rapine 535370 mold? I want to reload cut down 50-70 cartridges for an original 56-56 Spencer.

major

If you are looking for a rapine mold  you might want to try the N-SSA board.  Someone there might have one.
http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/
Terry
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

wolflobo76

Quote from: cwbuff on October 19, 2011, 03:03:55 PM
Does anyone know a source of cast bullets from a Rapine 535370 mold? I want to reload cut down 50-70 cartridges for an original 56-56 Spencer.
You may want to check out S&S out of glendale,ny  they have spencer bullets for sale [25 to a bag]  in 56/56. I called and talked to Phillip when i ordered everything to convert my 56/56 to centerfire and oordered a mould instead. It is a 546378 and the bullets shoot OK out of it since my original carbine has a tapered bore.

cwbuff

Thanks, that is the information I was looking for. Here is the link for the cast bullets from S&S
http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HCB10

Trailrider

Another possibility is to try to find a Lyman #533476AX hollow base mould. Depending on the alloy, bullet weight runs 411-430 gr, with the lighter weight produced with Lyman #2 alloy; pure lead made for the heavier slugs.

I have used this for a number of years, and with both Pyrodex and smokeless loads of .45 LC equivalent (i.e., 18.6 gr IMR4227, and 8.0 gr. Unique). The bullets' as-cast diameter with Lyman #2 equivalent metal or 1-10 tin/lead for BP/Pyrodex/etc runs around .535-.538". The bullets were sized to .535". Cases were the older lots of Dixie Gun Works .50-70 brass, trimmed to 1.000" and reamed with a custom .525" dia. reamer. Cases were annealed about half-way down from the mouth, with the hardness of the head and lower case body controlled by submerging them half-length in water while heating the upper portion with a propane torch until discolored and then tipping them over into the water.  Accuracy with the IMR4227 loads was good, considering the sights and my eyes:  7-round groups ran around 3-5/8" to 4-1/8" at 50 yds.  MV ran around 929 ft/sec with the 4227 loads at 70 deg. F., altitude about 6200 MSL. Interestingly, I got better accuracy with the smokeless loads and the harder bullets than with the pure lead or even 1-10 tin/lead and Pyrodex.

[Usual disclaimer: I can assume no responsibility for accidents or incidents resulting from the use of the above information in guns other than by own, and maybe not even then!]
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com