Tips and other odds and ends for refinishing.

Started by Delmonico, October 15, 2011, 07:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmonico

Well since the grip finishing thread got hijacked and we were wondering what would happen with one that was meant to, toss in any handy tips for refinishing and we'll see where this goes.

For a natural no gloss finish I use on knife handles in my kitchen gear I use Canola Oil, it holds up to dish water far better than anything else.  It's slower to dry than linseed or tung.  I get a rag wet it with the oil and wipe a good heavy coat on and let it soak in for an hour or so.  I then wipe off the excess and let it dry a week or so.  A couple times a year I wipe them down again with an oily rag.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

wildman1

I used moisture cure high impact polyurethane. Dip the handles in for a few seconds, hang em by the blades ta dry. It took me 35+ years of washin em in the dishwasher ta get the poly ta start showin wear. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Delmonico

Quote from: wildman1 on October 15, 2011, 09:15:06 AM
I used moisture cure high impact polyurethane. Dip the handles in for a few seconds, hang em by the blades ta dry. It took me 35+ years of washin em in the dishwasher ta get the poly ta start showin wear. WM

But they look like they've been dipped in some sort of goo. ;D

Besides I won't put my knives in the dishwasher, if I had one.    See how nice and natural this looks:

Green River Skinner, a bit pitted before I got it, paid 50 cents at a thrift store it had broken grips.

Second grips I put on it, the first were some plain mapel and it just did't look right, now this folks look at and want. ;)  They so far ain't wanted it bad enough. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Tascosa Joe

Del, when you found that GR blade was it a 5 pin or did you modify it from 3 rivet to the 5 pin?
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Delmonico

Quote from: Tascosa Joe on October 15, 2011, 12:54:00 PM
Del, when you found that GR blade was it a 5 pin or did you modify it from 3 rivet to the 5 pin?

It was a 5, it is one of the Russell Forge ones.  You know now that you mention it I think the one's Dixe sell ar 3 pin.

I have a Chrise Johnson butcher knife made in Sheffield that is like this:

I've never had the frips off it but I think it it original.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Professor Marvel

Greetings My Dear Netizens -

At This time ( for wood ) I have been using three finishes:

- Boiled Linseed if I am not in a hurry
- Tru-Oil If I I am in a hurry
- I have been experimenting with an assortment of waxes, including parafin, beeswax, carnuba, and old-fashioned shoe polish/wax

the waxes are interesting. I have been rubbing them in by hand, and/or applying heat (as in from a hair dryer) and/or buffing it out on  a cloth flap wheel. Waxes are ... strange. Finding the right wax or the right mix it is sort of like fussing with bullet lube until one gets it right. Then, some waxes come out pretty and shiny but slippery (ie Johnston Paste Wax - Don't use it!) some work out a bit too sticky...

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Paladin UK

PM says....

Quote some waxes come out pretty and shiny but slippery (ie Johnston Paste Wax - Don't use it!) some work out a bit too sticky...

Yessiree........ The  ole  `trials `n tribulations` Yup thats whut they are..., ... `trials `n tribulations`   ;)

Paladin (Whut frequently gets..`trials `n tribulations`  ;) ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Professor Marvel

Ah My Dear Paladin -

yessir the trials at least are fun and amusing- I have not had a knife "slip" out of my grip (yet). And periodically
I sometimes stumble upon a wonderful combination, such as working dark brown boot polish into the edges
of my knife sheaths while heated, and buffing it quite firmly with a clean cloth wheel, followed by the traditional boning.
It makes the sheath edges come out quite nicely.

The tribulations are not overly difficult, so far I can always strip off the failures down to bare wood and try again.

yhs
prof (trial and error) marvel
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com