Very interesting PC Camp gear. (Update at the top)

Started by Delmonico, October 14, 2011, 05:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmonico

« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:23:40 pm »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terry has told me you can get food safe paint cans, they have a good lining.  I checked and there are a couple sources on-line,, he also said that the Tru Value hardware stores has them or can get them. 

PC Tupperware, who'd'd of thought.

Have you ever had things that needed protected from the rain?  This will work for smaller stuff, maybe a good fire starter kit with tinder or I'm already thinking of dozens of other uses.  This item was patented in 1868:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=meY-AAAAEBAJ&printsec=drawing&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

Pretty good idea, when the paint is gone you can clean the can up and use it for all sorts of thing, just tap the lid on and it's waterproof, pry it off when you need it, won't break like a glass jar.

Now I wouldn't recomend cleaning an empty one out, or using it as a direct contact contaner for foods, but I see a lot of uses here.  Last I knew auto body suppliers would still sell new ones in gallon, quart and pint sizes.  Our local store is closed right now, but I think I will give them a call, a gallon one would sure make me a nice container for a couple boxes of matches and some tinder, I bet a pint can of coal oil would also fit right into the same can. ;)

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Tascosa Joe

NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Delmonico

Quote from: Tascosa Joe on October 14, 2011, 08:33:23 PM
Awesome lunch pail,

See, I knew someone would have other good ideas.

Along that lines have you seen this.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,34145.0.html

Give some ideas as what you would want to put in it.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Cutter Carl

NCOWS #3053
SASS #79783
Cracker Cow Cavalry - Florida's 1st NCOWS Posse
CCC - Marshall
Eagle Scout 1980

Delmonico

Quote from: Cutter Carl on October 14, 2011, 09:26:01 PM
Lowes sells new, empty paint cans and lids.   

Good to know, I used to buy them for other uses at our local auto body supply place.  I wonder if the newer ones use lead free solder?
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Tascosa Joe

Quote from: Delmonico on October 14, 2011, 09:40:45 PM
Good to know, I used to buy them for other uses at our local auto body supply place.  I wonder if the newer ones use lead free solder?
If they are made in China, they probably are made using lead solder.  Since most everything we see these days is marked "huecho in China".......
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Delmonico

Quote from: Tascosa Joe on October 15, 2011, 09:22:54 AM
If they are made in China, they probably are made using lead solder.  Since most everything we see these days is marked "huecho in China".......

As long as the food didn't have direct contact with the can I wouldn't be too concerned though.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

RattlesnakeJack

Quote from: Delmonico on October 15, 2011, 10:12:17 AM
As long as the food didn't have direct contact with the can I wouldn't be too concerned though.

Easy enough to put dry things at least (i.e. flour, corn meal, sugar, jerky or the like) inside a plastic bag concealed within the can ....
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Dutch Limbach

Back in my Rendezvousin' days I had a 3 qt. tin cook pot. I used to use either small canvas bags or paper lunch bags to put various things like coffee, tea, parched corn, sugar, dried peas, beans, chocolate, etc. in. I then had a larger canvas bag that what about the size of the pot that the smaller bags went into. I placed that bag inside the pot while transporting, and then when in camp I could pull the larger bag out of the pot when ready to use the pot.

Now you probably wouldn't want to cook in one of those paint cans, but the waterproof seal is a big plus. And from the prices I've seen you can get a couple of dozen paint type cans for the price of one of the tin cook pots.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Delmonico

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Irish Dave

FWIW, I was in Home Depot yesterday and noticed they also had new, empty 1 gal. paint cans for sale. Don't remember the exact price, but they were less than $5.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com