Safety concerns when reenacting with a Henry Repeating Rifle:

Started by Sean Thornton, October 13, 2011, 11:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Thornton

Safety Concerns:

1.  Muzzle control: don't blast someone's ear by firing too close. Do not aim directly at the rebs.

2.  Load at a 45 degree angle

3.  Do not drop the magazine follower but gently lower it

4.  Keep the magazine topped off, a full mag is safer than one that is low

5.  Make sure to close your magazine after you load it.

6.  Be conscience of if your hammer is cocked or not.

7.  Be careful going through a wooded area so the magazine follower does not catch and release on branches.

"Victory thru rapid fire"
National Henry Rifle Company"
SASS 5042 LTGR

Coffinmaker

Actually, I prefer to see a Henry loaded near to Horizontal as you can get.  I've seen two magazine detonations and neither was what you could call fun.  Exciting and scary, but not fun.
With a little care, the Henry is an absolute HOOT to play with.  If your going to short load one (like 10 rounds) I like to see a stick on top of the cartridge stack to take up the space between the follower and cartridges when initially loaded.

Coffinmaker

Slowhand Bob

Good ideas guys and these are all great for anyone planning to use them in SASS or other actual target shooting activities.  I have never been able to attend any skirmishes but hope to some day.  It always seems that the special occasions fall on the same days as the CW re-enactments/skirmishes.   

Trailrider

I agree with loading the magazine as nearly horizontal as possible. But I don't see what difference whether the magazine is full nearly empty, except for running out of ammo during a skirmish.

The MOST IMPORTANT aspect of preventing magazine explosions is BEING SURE THAT THE AMMO IS PRIMED WITH LARGE PISTOL primers, and that they are seated BELOW the surface of the cartridge case head!  And, of course, use a flat nose bullet or load simulator.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Sean Thornton

Quote from: Trailrider on October 15, 2011, 08:24:34 PM
I agree with loading the magazine as nearly horizontal as possible. But I don't see what difference whether the magazine is full nearly empty, except for running out of ammo during a skirmish.

It really has nothing to do with running out of ammunition but allowing room for the magazine follower to catch on something and fall back down on the rounds in the mag.  A loaded magazine has less room for the follower to fall than a half loaded magazine.  Reeancting is far different than shooting a match.
"Victory thru rapid fire"
National Henry Rifle Company"
SASS 5042 LTGR

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com