Droopy lever

Started by Short Knife Johnson, October 05, 2011, 07:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Short Knife Johnson

Hi all.

Just recieved via Fed-Ex my latest toy.  An most unusual 1873 with a 1/2 round barrel marked with Whitneyville Armory roll stampings for a Kennedy rifle.  the serial # is in the 59,000 range and there were two things the seller neglected to tell me (or I forgot to ask I guess).  Firing pin is broken inside or posibly gone - not too happy but I ca get that fixed.  Secondly, and most frustrating is it suffers from Droopy Lever syndrome.  I immediatly peeled off the sideplates and everything looks as it should.  What would one be looking for and how to go about finding a remedy.

I'll get around to putting up some photos.

Thankya

Goody

Be sure the spring that contacts the lever, is in fact contacting the lever. Be sure the screw that attaches said spring is tight. Be sure said spring is still a spring and not a curved piece of metal that once was a spring. ;D

Short Knife Johnson

That just might be the ticket.

Coffinmaker

Are we talking about an original Winchester '73 here or a Uberti Replica??
For the droopy lever problem, quite possibly the left side lever side spring is kaput, or the left side lever side spring has worn the cam off the side of the lever.  Winchester cams and Uberti cams were both replaceable until recently.  If it's a Winchester lever, you'll want to contact Buckingham's.  If it's a Uberti lever, VTI Gunparts.
The same instructions apply for the Firing Pin.  Original Winchester --- Buckingham's and for Uberti - VTI Gunparts.

Coffinmaker

Short Knife Johnson

Original.  Have to check out Buckingham's.  Will they ship to the Dominion of Canada though is my question.

Coffinmaker

Don't know.  The old guys ships lots of stuff though.  Buckingham's, 731 559 4169, 501 Eaton Brazil Road, Trenton TN  38382.
In a pinch, depending on how old the original Winchester is, I have fit Uberti lever side springs with good result.  The Firing Pin is entirely different.  Solid part.  Lever cam may be the same, I haven't looked to see though.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com