2 Bore with Black powder.....WOW!

Started by w44wcf, September 29, 2011, 09:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

w44wcf

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Henry4440

Caliber: 2 Bore (1.325" groove diameter)

Cartridges: S&H 2 Bore Black Powder Express 3.5" , 700gr FFg

2-Bore  round ball,  3500 grain, 1.326" diameter, 33.68 mm ,2-Bore FN Solid

http://www.2-bore.com/home.html

;)

Steel Horse Bailey

WoW !!!

It sure isn't a cost-saving round ... but it sure looks like fun!

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Mako

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on September 29, 2011, 10:37:26 AM
WoW !!!

It sure isn't a cost-saving round ... but it sure looks like fun!

Sure it's a cost saver...  You only need one shot. ;D

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Noz

Quote from: Mako on September 29, 2011, 10:43:38 AM
Sure it's a cost saver...  You only need one shot. ;D

~Mako

and that's good because you can only stand to fire one shot.

Read some of the African stories about hunting with a 4 bore and 2 bore.  Not something you would want to do.

Bottom Dealin Mike

JimBob

If dinosaurs should ever return that would be a dandy gun to have,other than that..........

A little story from long ago.A friend had a ML 4 Bore ball and shot gun.He got gutty enough to shoot it .......once.He stood alongside his tin polebarn and fired it,a quarter pound lead ball and 280 grains of black.As the sound of the blast faded away we could here things inside the barn falling.Like most of us he had driven nails in the boards used to nail the tin to and had the usual assortment of stuff hanging on them.LOL The concussion from firing had rattled the tin so much about everything on that wall had fallen off the nails.Seeing one of those big guage guns fire is a real experience of a lifetime.There have been instances of them causing detached retinas and dislocated shoulders when shooters fired them.

john boy

Back in the days of yore before the US Fish & Wildlife Serve changed the migratory bird laws, market hunters used these large bore shotguns to shoot ducks and geese.  The used punt boats.  The guns were mounted in a wooden brace in the boats.  In the dark, they would skull (method of paddling with a long oar) up on a raft of birds in the dark. Many times they would have a pet goose leg tied on the bow as a toller - decoy.  When they got close - Kaboom!
Punt guns of large calibers are still used with punt boats in Great Britain.  A 10 gauge is the largest legal caliber in the US

Must say - that 2 gauge is impressive `
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Grapeshot

Good greif!!  Where's the carriage for that cannon?
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Slowhand Bob

When I was young and dumb, I had a guy point a gun my way in a saloon one night and now with yore help I finally know what caliber it was!  Actually, now that I thank back on it, the one in the bar was the revolver model and perhaps in a slight bit larger bore also.

Pulp

Quote from: john boy on September 29, 2011, 10:30:08 PM
A 10 gauge is the largest legal caliber in the US

John Boy, are you talking legal for hunting or just plain legal to own?

A bit off topic, but here at the paper mill we used to have a tripod mounted 8 gauge.  It was used for busting up lime balls that formed in the lime kiln.  I have one of the cartridges for it, and it shoots a 4 ounce slug.   Someone at a paper mill out on the West Coast got caught shooting at seagulls with one, so our company outlawed them for all it's paper mills.
2004  Badlands Bar 3 Four States Champion, Frontiersman
(I was the only one there)

WWCAS (World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter)

Henry4440

Quote from: john boy on September 29, 2011, 10:30:08 PM
Back in the days of yore before the US Fish & Wildlife Serve changed the migratory bird laws, market hunters used these large bore shotguns to shoot ducks and geese.  The used punt boats.  The guns were mounted in a wooden brace in the boats.  In the dark, they would skull (method of paddling with a long oar) up on a raft of birds in the dark. Many times they would have a pet goose leg tied on the bow as a toller - decoy.  When they got close - Kaboom!
Punt guns of large calibers are still used with punt boats in Great Britain.  A 10 gauge is the largest legal caliber in the US

Must say - that 2 gauge is impressive `

Punt Guns

:o

Henry4440

The price for 10 S&H 2-Bore Cartridge Cases is $595.00.
And 10 cases means 7.000grs of the holy black stuff.
7000grs=455gram

1lbs ??!!!!!

:o

john boy

QuoteJohn Boy, are you talking legal for hunting
Yes
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Drayton Calhoun

The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Deadeye Dick

Pulp,
Quote from: Pulp on September 30, 2011, 02:52:15 PM
A bit off topic, but here at the paper mill we used to have a tripod mounted 8 gauge.  It was used for busting up lime balls that formed in the lime kiln.  I have one of the cartridges for it, and it shoots a 4 ounce slug.   Someone at a paper mill out on the West Coast got caught shooting at seagulls with one, so our company outlawed them for all it's paper mills.
In my collection I have an 8 ga. Winchester Super X, No 8 Industrial shell that has about an inch of lead sticking out the front. Is this the round you are referring to? Always wondered what it was used for.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

rickk

While not exactly a CAS gun, if you want to play with a 4 bore for cheap ($200), these thingies are awesome:

http://centerfiresystems.com/flare-rv85.aspx

From what I gather, they only have a few left... only 600 were ever brought into the country.  There are a couple other places selling them for $250 to $300.

There are at least two people making heavy walled reloadable aluminum hulls for them (about $15 bucks each).

They are not quite elephant guns, but they are still made pretty tough... originally designed for launching Czechoslovakian barricade tear gas rounds through walls at something like 400+ meters.  Milled... no stamped sheet metal... immaculate blued finish as well. Heavy barrel, extra heavy in the rear half.

Yes, they work well with black powder.  I'm enjoying mine  :D

Pulp

Quote from: Deadeye Dick on October 04, 2011, 04:51:02 PM
Pulp,In my collection I have an 8 ga. Winchester Super X, No 8 Industrial shell that has about an inch of lead sticking out the front. Is this the round you are referring to? Always wondered what it was used for.
Deadeye Dick

Most likely the same thing, mine's a Remington Industrial.  It doesn't even have a guage marking on it.  As soon as I find it I'll post a photo of it.
2004  Badlands Bar 3 Four States Champion, Frontiersman
(I was the only one there)

WWCAS (World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter)

Drayton Calhoun

Quote from: Slowhand Bob on September 30, 2011, 02:46:11 PM
When I was young and dumb, I had a guy point a gun my way in a saloon one night and now with yore help I finally know what caliber it was!  Actually, now that I thank back on it, the one in the bar was the revolver model and perhaps in a slight bit larger bore also.
I've been on the business end of a 12 gauge pump shotgun (a minor altercation between myself, best friend and six St. John's County sheriffs deputies) and I learned one very interesting fact. A 12 gauge is roughly 7/10ths of an inch in diameter...looking down one loaded and cocked, it looks like the Lincoln Tunnel....
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Claypipe

Here's me some years ago getting medieval with a 4 bore handgonne made by Handgonne designs. I believe the load was 110 grains of fffg and a .990 lead ball, no patch.

http://www.handgonne.com/images/zeus_3.mpg

And here is the car door I was using as a target. Ball passed through the car door, the plywood and buried itself in the backstop.
http://www.handgonne.com/images/zeus_2.mpg

CP
Vergiss nie heimat wo deine Wiege stand Du findest in der fremde kein zweites heimalland

Never forget home where your cradle was. You won't find a second home country in a foreign country

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com