Henry Trapper?

Started by Slowhand Bob, September 23, 2011, 09:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowhand Bob

I started to look up some info on the Henry Trappers today and found there wasnt much out there.  The only place I found that still lists them was Uberti USA has a brass frame .45 model listed.  I placed a post on another location and received a couple of responses but they were not very positive.  Seems everyone that bought one ended up selling it and the most common reason given was the 45 caliber and the round capacity.  Most did brag on the way the gun handled.  Would appreciate it if anyone here had anything to add.  Someone did IM me with the opinion that there were never many sold and they will probably disappear soon???

Pettifogger

There are different versions of the "trapper" Henry.  They came in 16", 18" and 22".  It is almost impossible to get ten .45 Colt rounds in the 16".  The 18" will hold ten or can be made to hold ten with a little work.  The 22" will hold ten out of the box with no problem.

SGT John Chapman

....But how many 45 Schofields can you get into it,......or 45 Cowboy......
Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

CAS City Profile For Sgt John Chapman

Pettifogger

Quote from: SGT John Chapman on September 24, 2011, 08:22:20 AM
....But how many 45 Schofields can you get into it,......or 45 Cowboy......

Depends on the OAL of the rounds.  With the Schofield as long as you are using 200+ grain bullets they will usually feed with the stock carrier.  To shoot the .45 Cowboy you have to modify the carrier since it is to short to cycle.  Since the Henry loads from the front, it is very easy to modify the carrier.  Much simpler than the carrier mod needed for a 66 or 73.

Pancho Peacemaker

You might read over this old thread:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=26625.0

The search function will pull up a bunch of older Henry "Trapper" info as well.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Slowhand Bob

I would have considered 20" to be ideal, what my two '73s measure, but 18" would make a good substitute and 16' is just to near being a pistol in my mind.  Actually this whole project revolves around eliminating the 44Special caliber guns from my cowboy guns and a Henry Trapper would be my idea of an ideal replacement for my .44Spec  '66 model.   This  would definitely revolve around using a short carrier for the Cowboy45special rounds.  Everything I have been shooting in recent years has been the 45spec and the 44-40.

I always shoot my  cc frame Henry with cap and ball but would like to use a .45 Trapper with my Kirst Conversion cylinder guns and all of these are 45s.  Course, the first thing that would have to be done is to dull that dang shiny brass frame real good before being seen in public with the gun.   

Cannon Fodder

I got mine from Dixie 2 years ago for 1000 dollars. They still have them  for that price.  44/40  and 16 1/2 inch  barrel . Holds 7 rounds plus one in chamber is 8. I think Dixie is the only one handling them now !!??. Ok, not good for SASS  and a NO-NO amongst  Civil War reenactors, but it is one of the "sweetest" handling henries I have ever had.  The 7-8 rounds  goes well with my 10 tube blakeslee  and spencer whenever I can get  the trapper past the Civil War Reenactors  Police  and their yard sticks!( just kidding!!?? Yeah, I k now  it wasn t there!!?? ).

Seriously, some of you henry historians help me out here. I thought Winchester submitted  2 seperate  henry  " carbines " for trials in 1864 and they both failed . Also 3 plus rifles were returned to the  factory to have their barrels shortened.

This gun is also  not  a bad home defense weapon!

Best,Don

Jake MacReedy

Check out Luther "Yellowstone" Kelly's Henry "Trapper" in this thread:  http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,32491.0.html

Jake

Slowhand Bob

Jake, thanks for the pictures and take note of the color of those receivers.  I much prefer this to the bright shiny brass look that so many seem to like.  When I purchased a '66 the first thing I done was to artificially age it to a much more bronze like appearance and will do the same again if I can get another Henry like I want.  Fighting men from those days may not have fully appreciated the concept of camouflage BUT I'll bet the ones who survived for very long understood that a bright glint across a battlefield was sure to draw fire!

Coffinmaker

Depends on your definition of "Trapper."  Historically, there weren't any true "Trappers" from Henry or Winchester.  The short gun was a "carbine" and the carbine was 20 inches.
In todays guns, Years ago, Navy Arms introduced a "Trapper" at 16" of barrel chambered in 44-40.  Only held 8 Rounds.  They weren't real popular.  Then, after years of bugging Uberti USA (defunct now) I know of two .45 Colt trappers that were imported.  I got one of them.  I don't actually know if more than two were ever built.  The .45s also held 8 rounds.  9 with Schofield and 200Gr RNFP bullets.
I started experimenting with short Schofield cases until I could get 10 of 'em in the little henry.  I call the round the .45 Squirt.  Modified the carrier block to feed 'em and they are some kind of fun.  At about the same time frame, Adirondack Jack came up with the Cowboy .45 Special which also run thru my Henry(s) like wet grain thru a Goose.  Again, the carrier has to be modified.
The modification of the Carrier Block to run C45Spl in the front loading Henry is simple.  Set the round in the carrier, and at the rear of the case mark and drill the carrier for a set screw.  The set screw has to be cut to clear the flat part of the Breach Block and you have to cut a slot in the fat part of the breach block to clear the screw.  Done.
My 45 Trapper now holds 10+ and my stock 24" Henry(s) hold 18 rounds.
The current crop of Trapper Henry rifles from Uberti are 18" barrel guns and are mostly 44-40 and don't hold 10 rounds.  Just 9.  If re-chambered to 44 Russian, presto, 10+ rounds.  Or re-chamber to 44Spl.

Coffinmaker

Slowhand Bob

Actually I gave a lot of thought to going with the 44Russian in my current 44spec guns and even have a short carrier around that I could use in the '66.  The problem is that I have a lot more guns chambered for 45 and using the 45spec than these three guns in my 44spec set.  The thought of sorting the 44russian brass from the 45spec brass would be a never ending nightmare plus keeps an extra caliber in the reloading process.  Buying an 18" Henry in 45colt and two Kirst converters would be expensive but I feel pretty sure that I would like the guns better.  I just never warmed to the '66 from the get go and the same can be said for the pair of R/M Conversions to some degree.  I do have a pair of Navy grips that can be used on the R/Ms but I still do not like the long barl length and estimates for bobbing them properly run almost $400 for the pair.

I am somewhat surprised that so many old photos seem to be floating around of the shorter Henrys when it is apparent that they were not factory produced in shorter lengths.  Wonder if this was due to muzzle damage repairs or were owners actually willing to pay for the option later on.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com