Author Topic: Way down on the bottom of the barrel!  (Read 6678 times)

The Arapaho Kid

Way down on the bottom of the barrel!
« on: August 14, 2005, 11:47:53 AM »
The "Bottom Of The Barrel Kid" Rides again!

Ok folks.....I need some input on this!  My coveted place on the score sheet is at the bottom of the barrel.  I've shot all my matches clean and even hit bonus targets, but I can't get above the bottom of the barrel on the score sheet.  What in tarnation am I doing wrong? ???  Am I gonna have to wait until someone worse than me shoots so I can move up by default?

Offline Wes Virginian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Way down on the bottom of the barrel!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 11:54:37 AM »
Quit tryin' to shoot clean! Shoot faster than you are now and you will creep up from the bottom. You probably won't reach the top, but you will have more fun!

Wes
Texican Rangers, Co. A, Kanawha Valley Regulators, NRA Life-Endowment, SASS Life 40471, NCOWS 2037, GAF, USN '60/'63.

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 12:02:24 PM »
Clean is fine but you will have more fun if you get dirty when you play, just stay out of the mud puddles ;) :D

Ok, you can shoot accurate, you have shown that, now start shooting faster, pay attention to others, notice that guy who pulls a couple of shotgun shells out as he is walking up to his shotgun.

You might miss, but speed and accuracy will get you off the bottom of the score board, that and a step ladder, want to borrow mine?   :)
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:17:45 PM »

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 12:44:22 PM »
Clean is fine but you will have more fun if you get dirty when you play, just stay out of the mud puddles ;) :D

Ok, you can shoot accurate, you have shown that, now start shooting faster, pay attention to others, notice that guy who pulls a couple of shotgun shells out as he is walking up to his shotgun.

You might miss, but speed and accuracy will get you off the bottom of the score board, that and a step ladder, want to borrow mine?   :)

Shoot faster?  I have done this and the timers keep telling me to slow down especially on the pistol stages.  I usually shoot right handed and cock with my left...the two hand grip.  The targets are close and easy to hit.  I can rip through a five round shoot in probably a little over a minute, but the timers keep telling me to SLOW DOWN!  I keep hearing:  You're doing well!  Slow down!  Take your time!  So I slow down and wind up on the bottom of the barrel again!  Maybe I should start using the one hand grip on my pistols?

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 01:09:13 PM »
Well it's time to quit listening to the timmers.  Unless you are fumbling around looking like you are going to drop something, then just shoot it your own way, set your own pace, just set that pace a little faster. ;)
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 01:50:12 PM »
Maybe you should ask them why they keep telling you to slow down.  That would be better than asking us.  We aren't there.

When we were in business, we had a shooter that was very loyal to the club.  Showed up darned near every shoot.  Nice guy.  Thing was we never knew what he was going to do.  For years, when he came to the line, there would be someone close on his left and right gettting ready to grab him before he did something stupid.  No one ever had to but it was best to have someone in place just in case.  'Slow down' was often heard when he was shooting.

Some folks are just so goofy one never knows.  When you're charged with conducting a shoot that's safe for the entrants there are measures you have to take with some individuals to make sure no one gets hurt.  You don't want to treat anyone differently but flying lead doesn't understand PC.  If I hurt someone's feelings to keep my club from being the one that had someone shot, so be it.

Kid, from the heart, get to the next shoot early.  Talk to the people telling you to slow down and ask them why.  It could be that you aren't really ready to play with guns on the weekends.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 02:15:03 PM »
  I can rip through a five round shoot in probably a little over a minute

By rounds do you mean rounds through one pistols (actual rounds of ammo) or do you mean rounds as in five stages?  I'm guessing round of ammunition but if you're taking a minute to shoot 5 rounds out of one guns then is there any chance that they are funnin' with you about slowin' down?   ???
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 02:17:08 PM »
Arcey:  I spent 24 years in the Army and I am very familiar with the safe handling of loaded guns.  When I'm on that firing line....safety is foremost on my mind.  At the shoots I've been to and participated in I was never cautioned about any safety factor that I may have broken because I've never broken any of them.  I make damned sure that muzzle never gets anywhere that it isn't supposed to go.  I don't do the Cross Draw Two Step because I don't have a cross draw rig, so I don't do any side sweeps

I think at my next shoot, if told to slow down I will ask why.

Offline Sixgun Murray Greenblatt

• Active citizen
  • Fac ut vivas.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 02:19:32 PM »
Nothing wrong with being at the bottom of the barrel.  As long as there's females above you and skirts to look up. :o :o
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 02:24:28 PM »
I spent thirty two on a police department.  The last folks I felt safe around was a bunch of cops handling firearms.  Most of those had military backgrounds.

No insults were intended.  I'm just asking you to talk to the folks you're shooting with.  There's a reason.  
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Foothills Drifter

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 03:05:47 PM »
Howdy......
Shoot your own game! Not theirs. Shoot as fast as you can SAFTLY.

Good shootin......
Vern...  8)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 04:28:53 PM »

That's all well 'n good.  Havin' a good time 'n all.  I just think it's more important to shoot SAFELY.  But, what do I know?

Foothills Drifter

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2005, 04:31:22 PM »
Howdy......

Good shootin......
Vern...  8)

Howdy......
I think I said the same thing.............

Vern...

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2005, 04:33:39 PM »
*gives Vern a 5 second miss*  :P ;D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Foothills Drifter

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2005, 04:36:07 PM »
Howdy......
I done worse......... ;)
I should learn how to spell  ;D

Vern... 8)

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2005, 04:46:23 PM »
I kin speel purdy good but I really need to learn to type.  :o
― Clint Eastwood

Foothills Drifter

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2005, 04:51:05 PM »
I kin speel purdy good but I really need to learn to type.  :o

Howdy.....
With ya pointin them guns at me...you can type any way ya want....... ;D

Vern...  ;)

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2005, 09:57:27 PM »
You ladies need to worry about Sixgun Murray, not the Kid.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 01:34:37 AM »
  I can rip through a five round shoot in probably a little over a minute

By rounds do you mean rounds through one pistols (actual rounds of ammo) or do you mean rounds as in five stages?  I'm guessing round of ammunition but if you're taking a minute to shoot 5 rounds out of one guns then is there any chance that they are funnin' with you about slowin' down?   ???

Example:  Each pistol is loaded with 5 rounds.  You shoot with one pistol only at any one given time.  I can zip five rounds off and have five hits in less than a minute.  Probably closer to about 30 seconds?

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2005, 06:01:33 AM »
Think you need to get down to 5 seconds
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com