Gatlin'

Started by Pancho Peacemaker, September 16, 2011, 01:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pancho Peacemaker

Charlie Prince (to Ben Wade):   "Looks like they gots a Gatlin'."

Come join us for the 2011 NCOWS SW Regional Match:  Sept 29, 30, Oct1st.

www.bergersharpshooters.com
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Steel Horse Bailey

I want one.

No ... I don't want to (just) shoot one ...

::)

Where's that Lottery ticket?
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Texas Lawdog

SHB, You gotta come down here to buy one of those lottery tickets.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on September 16, 2011, 07:20:49 PM
I want one.

No ... I don't want to (just) shoot one ...

::)

Where's that Lottery ticket?

Last year the owner of the Gatlin' ("Whiskers") made it available for folks to shoot.  You just had to cover the cost of the ammo.

I believe he is bringing it again this year.

It is a fun experience to fire one of these.

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Drayton Calhoun

Hey, Dixie has brand new hand built Gatlings for sale...only $45,000...you betcha!
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Major 2

I got to experience that someday.... I did get to shoot a hand made 22LR version once ,that was cool
shooting a 45/70 version , would $$$$ but be very cool.
when planets align...do the deal !

StrawHat

Somehow, I recall the originals being percussion cartridges and later on centerfire.  Not sure where I read that but recall thinking at the time it would be a hoot to have one built around a 50+ caliber hull. 

Wish I still had access to the machine shop on board my ship!
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

RattlesnakeJack

Quote from: StrawHat on October 10, 2011, 06:49:29 AM
Somehow, I recall the originals being percussion cartridges and later on centerfire.

You are correct, Sir!

A gentleman (in the truest sense of the word) of my acquaintance, through re-enactment activities, has built an absolutely gorgeous full-scale working replica of a Model 1862 percussion Gatling gun, as produced for the War Department by Armstrong, the British Licensee.  I have not had the opportunity to see the finished product - matter of fact, as I recall, he planned to make two of these - but here are some photos he has posted:

Stewart is the chap second from left in the following photo.  He re-enacts a Colonel of The Royal Engineers.

(The Sergeant on the left is the chap from whom I recently acquired my .476 Webley No. 4 (Webley-Pryse) revolver, as shown in this post in The Barracks: http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,40022.0.html

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

StrawHat

RattlesnakeJack,

I just see the dreaded red Xs.
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

wildman1

WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Tascosa Joe

A few years ago, my wife and I stopped at the Mansfield, LA battlefield.  Some reenactors were on site with a percussion Gatling Gun.  They could shoot only blanks since the site was controlled by the Clinton Administration NPS but it was still awesome.   I would hate to be the joe on the crew that had to swab out the blocks and reload.  That could be an all week job at 3 or 400 rounds a minute.

I got to shoot Wiskers Gatling at the SW Regional.  Great fun.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com