RJ Preston out of Fay, OK

$200 Shipped to you all Custom

Tascosa Joe

NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Atrain

Tell him Anthony and Tiny sent you.

Tiny

ol coot

YEP, Badland makes good sombrebos, and is a good person to deal with.
      Coot
My Lord is my shepard, my bible is my guide, my horse is my partner, my colt's on my side.  
RGA#684
RAT#514
Storm#370
SASS#46209

Hangtown Frye

RJ indeed makes a fine product!  I heartily second the recommendation!

Cheers!

Gordon

pony express

That's cool....I "need" a sombrero, but don't really need one for $200. But on the other hand, I don't want one of the $5 Cinco De Mayo party hats that you can find online, either. Anybody know where yoiu can find something somewhere in between?

Bugscuffle

Quote from: pony express on October 02, 2011, 06:35:07 PM
That's cool....I "need" a sombrero, but don't really need one for $200. But on the other hand, I don't want one of the $5 Cinco De Mayo party hats that you can find online, either. Anybody know where yoiu can find something somewhere in between?

You are going to get what you pay for here, after all, a skinny cow is NOT a gazelle.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Tascosa Joe

El Mercado in San Antonio, but it is hard to find one to fit.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

pony express

Quote from: Bugscuffle on October 02, 2011, 11:37:28 PM
You are going to get what you pay for here, after all, a skinny cow is NOT a gazelle.
Very true! But sometimes the somewhat limeted budget rules. :(
Quote from: Tascosa Joe on October 03, 2011, 09:01:43 AM
El Mercado in San Antonio, but it is hard to find one to fit.

Not familiar with El Mercado, but I saw lots of them for sale downtown, near the Riverwalk. Is that the area? We went in some of the shops down there last year when we went to the last GAF muster(before I decided I "needed" one.)

Pancho Peacemaker

Do a google search for "Charro hat" or "Charro gear".

In "Old Mexico", what we gringos call "sombrero" is called a "Charro" Hat.

Tascosa is correct, the old Mercado area of San Antonio is one of the best places to find a good sombrero.

Sunbody hats (out of Houston), makes some very nice Guatemala palm charro hats. 

RJ Preston makes some very nice hats.  I own two of them. 

He makes them in the "old style" where the Vaquero wore them up on the crown of the head and tilted back.  Many people buy his hats and find them "Very small" (I believe they are all around 6 7/8 size) and they are ment to be that way.  Vaqueros did not wear their hat down over their brow like most cowboy hats.  Many of the Charro hats you buy down in Old Mexico are made this way as well.

Two places that make (IMHO) "The Best" modern sombreros:  Mike's Hatters (he even makes the old style "Oreana" peak and Knudsen's in San Fransico.    I own a Knudsen and it is my favorite CAS hat period.  It was not cheap!

This is my Knudsen sombrero:

This is one of my Sunbody sombreros:
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

pony express

Thanks for the "charro hat" tip, Pancho! That led to several sites with some nice looking hats, unlike "sombrero" that gets almost nothing except costume sites. Also checked Sunbody hats, looks like a possibility. I was thinking more of a Palm leaf type than felt, anyway.

Shotgun Franklin

If you're in San Antonio go down to the huge flea market on SH 16 just south of Loop 410. You might also try Traders Village near the south east corner of Loop 410.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: pony express on October 06, 2011, 06:26:55 PM
Thanks for the "charro hat" tip, Pancho! That led to several sites with some nice looking hats, unlike "sombrero" that gets almost nothing except costume sites. Also checked Sunbody hats, looks like a possibility. I was thinking more of a Palm leaf type than felt, anyway.

If you buy a Sunbody, buy it a little larger than you usually wear.  The palm weave they use shrinks a little when you sweat in it.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Delmonico

I have to disagree, I sell sunbody hats at work and I sell them to lots of folks including working cowboys.  Buy the hat on the small side, wet it and wear it till it's dry.  If it shrinks any after you wear it, just wet it and put it back on.  Even better if you take it off damp, put a hat jack in it when you take it off, tight enough to keep it from shrinking, but not tight enough to stretch it. 

In fact the hat jack is a good idea for any hat that is damp for what ever reason.  It is far easier to stretch a slightly small hat than it is to shrink on that is too large.  I've seen a lot of folks think a hat slightly too large is the way to go, next thing you know they can't keep it on their head in a wind and have to stuff the sides.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Major 2

Del

I sent you an email about Sunbody's ..I guess you did not get it or it went to spam..

anyway since Sundoby's were brought up..I 'll ask you here

I have one of the Guatemala palm hats , Charro style ..I have wet it and reshaped the crown

need to add some body to the brim , I had asked you if shellac worked as if does on Felt hats.

and if so what is the ratio mix....
when planets align...do the deal !

Atrain

i love mine i have worn it every day since Sept. 8th

Delmonico

Quote from: Major 2 on October 08, 2011, 10:32:05 AM
Del

I sent you an email about Sunbody's ..I guess you did not get it or it went to spam..

anyway since Sundoby's were brought up..I 'll ask you here

I have one of the Guatemala palm hats , Charro style ..I have wet it and reshaped the crown

need to add some body to the brim , I had asked you if shellac worked as if does on Felt hats.

and if so what is the ratio mix....

Sorry, I missed that, haven't checked E-mails for a few day.  Yeah, I've done that, just mix it thin enough to go through a spray bottle.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com