Grip/Wood Filler

Started by Shotgun Franklin, September 12, 2011, 09:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun Franklin

I have a set of grips that warped a bit leaving a gap at the top along the top of the grip frame. I think I want to put some kinda filler in between the wood and frame. I was thinking of using the 'glass' like you use to bed a rifle but can't find a small container of the stuff. I bought some Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler but aren't sure about it???? I do want to be able to take the grip frame apart as needed.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Bugscuffle

The easiest way of matching up the filler to the existing wood (well sort of) is to apply the filler and while it is still wet, sand the grips and work the  the sanding dust into the surface of the filler. I would suggest that you take the sadnding dust from the back side of the grip. You can also just collect the sanding dust and mix it with the filler and then apply it with a final dusting of the area while the filler is still wet, but that takes a lot more sanding dust. It isn't perfect, but it's better than a gap to look at.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Coffinmaker

Nother suggestion, first you'll have to coat the grip frame with a releasing agent, like Vaseline, or your grips will become a permanent part of the gun :o  Next step is to get some two part 5 minute epoxy from the local hardware and mix in some sanding/saw dust, preferably some dark stuff.  Apply enough to fill the gaps, let it set up and then sand it to shape.
There is no way to match color "exactly" and no filler will stain to match.  You hope for "close" and go from there.  If the gaps are small enough, your the only person who will see the repair.

Coffinmaker

Popa Kapoff

Instead of vasoline try wax paper lay the wax paper on th frame tape it down. just another way to skin that cat.
Till we meet keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Lucky R. K.

Johnson's Paste Wax makes an excellent release agent.

Lucky  ;D
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Coffinmaker

Very impractical to try and use wax paper with "one" piece grips.  You need a releasing agent like Vaseline or even paste wax.  Carpenters wood filler is simply Tightbond or some such mixed with fine sanding dust.  No real strength to the stuff and will chip off very easily. 
Stick with Epoxy.

Coffinmaker

Shotgun Franklin

I have the grip temporarily 'fixed' with wood filler but intend to use epoxy for a permanent fix.
I need a source for a small amount of epoxy, around here I'm only finding it in bigger tubes.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

wildman1

Use a relatively slow cure epoxy the fast cure stuff will get brittle. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Delmonico

Quote from: Shotgun Franklin on October 14, 2011, 07:25:26 PM
I have the grip temporarily 'fixed' with wood filler but intend to use epoxy for a permanent fix.
I need a source for a small amount of epoxy, around here I’m only finding it in bigger tubes.

I get mine at real hardware stores.  (That means ones where the guy waiting on you most likely owns the bussiness.)  I get a lot of my stuff I use for projects there.  I only use the big box stores if I can't get it anywhere else.  It ain't worth paying slightly less to be treated like shit poop.  Besides the more we use them the more of them there will be when you need them. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com