Historical Events That Stand Out

Started by Shotgun Franklin, September 11, 2011, 05:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun Franklin

Some events, like The Battle of Saratoga, First Bull Run, Custer's Last Stand, The Fall of the Alamo, The Gunfight at the OK Corral and many more have stayed fresh and current in American History. We still debate them nearly everyday. I guess our Great Grandkids will look back on 9/11 the same way. I wonder what they'll say about us and our current events?
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Major 2

Historical Moments that your remember for a life time

I have vague memory of the 52 Presidential ...course it may be more read that actual
I remember Duck & Cover vividly
The Kennedy era , election,  the Cuban Missile Crisis, (I lived is South Miami and personally saw the build up)
The Assasination ,Oswald , Ruby and the State Funeral.
Man in to Space  Mercury , Gemini & the First man on the Moon
Manson and Helter Skelter , Woodstock ,
NAM ( yeah ! I remember Nam )
Robert Kennedy , Martin Luther King Assasinations
Nixon and Watergate, Carter and the Hostages ,  the attempted Assasination on Ford & Reagan
Fall of the USSR

The 1st attack on the Twin Towers, USS Cole, USS Stark
Gulf War 1

and 9/11 ....  :'( Today 10 years later ...it seem so clear

A lot of history

I can tell you were I was or what I was doing with most of them.

when planets align...do the deal !

Tascosa Joe

MAJOR 2:

We must be the same age.  I remember all those things as well.  The first news event that I paid attention to was the POW exchange from the Korean War which started in late '52 or '53.  I was in the first grade.

T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Johnny McCrae

QuoteI have vague memory of the 52 Presidential ...course it may be more read that actual
The Kennedy era , election,  the Cuban Missile Crisis, (I lived is South Miami and personally saw the build up)
Man in to Space  Mercury , Gemini & the First man on the Moon
Nixon and Watergate, Carter and the Hostages ,  the attemted Assasination on Ford & Reagan
Fall of the USSR
I remember all of this.

I also have a vague memory of when World War II ended. The people in my neighborhood were dancing in the streets and  celebrating. I do remember family friends and relatives returning home from overseas in uniform. I was five years old.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Major 2

Maybe a tad younger TJ
I'd have been in kindergarden in 1952.... I remember Debbie Deck in my KG Class  ( yep ! she was the first in a not so long line of girl friends ) Sandy Stone in 1-5th I recall...
I remember Linda Parker 7-9th....

High School ... I was more "about" shall we say

Sandy Clay  ( what's with these names ?)
Linda Jenkins
Kathy Davis ( I really though she was the one  ::) young & nieve ....

and Janet Hayden in Collage .... :o OO oh yeah ! Janet

Never knew what happen to any of them ( except I know Jenks {Linda J.} got married or so it said in the 40th. reunion package,
I did not go )
and Kathy Davis was in Hawaii working with lepores  :-\ or so I was told ! Her MOM did not care for me  ;)

Any way thanks Shotgun ....for the memories...... and Janet wherever you are .... the mammary's ;)

when planets align...do the deal !

wildman1

Quote from: Major 2 on September 12, 2011, 12:29:34 PM
Maybe a tad younger TJ
I'd have been in kindergarden in 1952.... I remember Debbie Deck in my KG Class  ( yep ! she was the first in a not so long line of girl friends ) Sandy Stone in 1-5th I recall...
I remember Linda Parker 7-9th....

High School ... I was more "about" shall we say

Sandy Clay  ( what's with these names ?)
Linda Jenkins
Kathy Davis ( I really though she was the one  ::) young & nieve ....

and Janet Hayden in Collage .... :o OO oh yeah ! Janet

Never knew what happen to any of them ( except I know Jenks {Linda J.} got married or so it said in the 40th. reunion package,
I did not go )
and Kathy Davis was in Hawaii working with lepores  :-\ or so I was told ! Her MOM did not care for me  ;)

Any way thanks Shotgun ....for the memories...... and Janet wherever you are .... the mammary's ;)

Dadgum youngsters' now ya sent me on a trip of my own down mammery lane. Thanks M2.  ;D WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Trailrider

I was about minus-one month when Pearl Harbor was attacked, but I "remember" a lot of things about WWII because of my father and his Army buddies. I remember ONE duck-and-cover drill in school.  But I do remember the Korean War as reported by WNBQ-TV in Chicago's Clifton Utley, whom my father knew personally. (Clifton's son, Garrick Utley reported from Viet Nam.)  I remember Truman beating Dewey in 1948. (I actually saw Truman on the rear platform of his whistle-stop campaign train, in Galesburg, Illinois! I was on my Dad's shoulders, and we were travelling to see my Mom's folks in downstate Illinois when we literally got sidetracked in Galesburg.  Dad was probably the only Republican in Cook County, Illinois, but he thought I ought to see THE President.)

I remember exactly where I was when President Kennedy warned on TV that any attack by missiles from "Cuber" would be regarded as an attack by the Soviet Union on the United States, and met with a full retaliatory response!  In Montana, Air Force personnel were scrambling to "posture" the first Minuteman I ICBM's. Littlet did I dream that a bit more than 3 years later I would be targeting those missiles.  Thankfully, they never had to be used!

I remember the Berlin Wall going up...and coming down!  :)

Of course, I remember 9/11/2001.  Just got out of the shower and turned on the T.V....just as the second plane hit the other tower!  >:( : :'(

Pards, there's a heap of history that has happened in the last "few" years. 
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Johnny McCrae

Sixty years ago this week, more than 40 percent of the entire population of Lake County turned out to see a man riding in a car that was speeding up Sheridan Road from Chicago to Wisconsin.

Accounts from the day estimated that those 75,000 Lake County residents "lined Sheridan Road from the county line on the south to the state line on the north to roar out a heartfelt welcome home to Gen. Douglas MacArthur as he raced through the county en route to Milwaukee."

MacArthur, who had been famously dismissed by President Truman in the midst of escalating combat in Korea, was touring the Midwest after being treated to parades and accolades on the West Coast and in New York City. The morning after an April 25 speech before 50,000 people at Soldier Field, he left Chicago at 7:30 and headed north.

Eventually, the motorcade, running 30 minutes behind schedule, got up to 75 mph and crossed into Wisconsin, passing some spectators in a blur. And then MacArthur was gone. It was not then possible to see him within minutes on YouTube.

Sixty years down the road, it's hard to imagine a single individual who could draw that kind of attention. Not only do presidential motorcades operate with necessary stealth and closed roofs, but the next celebrity — real or imagined — is always just around the corner.
(The above from an article on the internet)

I remember seeing this motorcade which passed within three blocks of my house in Milwaukee. I believe the year was 1951.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ozark Iron John

I remember when they evacuated the U.S. Embassy in Saigon.

"Wrap my Body in a Bonnie Blue Flag and bury me with my Feet in the South!"
>:(    - Ozark Iron John cir. 1876

SASS #60933, CMSA #4406, Masonic Cowboy Shootist

joec

Well I was born in June of 1946 but you guys left 2 events out. The US flag had 48 stars. In 1959 we added two more stars for Alaska and Hawaii which became states that year. I also remember the first TV and party line telephones as a boy growing up in Miami Florida.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Shotgun Franklin

QuoteI remember when they evacuated the U.S. Embassy in Saigon.

I remember seeing films of the evacuation. A shameful event.
If we go to war it ought to be to win. After we win we can rebuild or whatever but first win.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Forty Rod

Quote from: Major 2 on September 11, 2011, 06:02:22 PM

I have vague memory of the 52 Presidential ...course it may be more read that actual
The Kennedy era , election,  the Cuban Missile Crisis, (I lived is South Miami and personally saw the build up)
Man in to Space  Mercury , Gemini & the First man on the Moon
Nixon and Watergate, Carter and the Hostages ,  the attemted Assasination on Ford & Reagan
Fall of the USSR

Gulf War 1

and 9/11 ....  :'( Today 10 years later ...it seem so clear

A lot of history

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Forty Rod

Quote from: Major 2 on September 11, 2011, 06:02:22 PM

The Kennedy era , election,  the Cuban Missile Crisis, (I lived is South Miami and personally saw the build up)
Man in to Space  Mercury , Gemini & the First man on the Moon
Nixon and Watergate, Carter and the Hostages ,  the attemted Assasination on Ford & Reagan
Fall of the USSR

Gulf War 1

and 9/11 ....  :'( Today 10 years later ...it seem so clear

A lot of history

Me, too.  Born March 1942 and all of those are still vivid.  And some others, as well.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

It took me awhile, but I remembered that it is PEARL HARBOR DAY.  It seems that that Day of Infamy, is not readily recalled these days.  All our enemies from those days are allies and our former allies are competitors!

Shifting Sands!

All I recall from WWII is watching the launching of a liberty ship my Father helped build, and trailing over to the shoolhouse clutching my Mom's hand, to get ration coupons. That was maybe after the end of the War?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Blair

My earliest International Event memories was the election of Eisenhower. Broadcast on National TV. (1952 or 3?)
BTW, there were only three networkers at the time. Reception was usually rather poor, but, the TV coverage was free to those that had TV and rabbit ears.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

The Trinity Kid

uhhh.....Wow, I feel really young. 
I remember 9/11, though I was only three at the time.

I remember the 2004 Presidential election.  Got pizza that night to celebrate the victory.

I remember Katrina.

I remember the death of Ronald Reagen.

I remember the Boston Bombing.

I remember the Aurora and Sandy Hook shootings.

I remember the election, and reelections of Obama.

I remember the Affordable Care Act in the courts.

Seems like all I remember is bad.....

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

GunClick Rick

I asked my dad once what he remembered about Pearl Harbor all he said was EVERYBODY was pissed off!!
Bunch a ole scudders!

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

Mogorilla

I remember Watergate trials preempting Gilligan's Island Reruns and cartoons after school.   
I remember 9th grade study hall the announcement that the Iran Hostages were released.
I remember walking out of Quantitative Analysis lab in college to hear the Space Shuttle had exploded.
I remember watching one man make a stand and stop tanks in the name of freedom.
I remember being frozen in shock as I watched the towers fall on September 11th.  We had rigged an antenna out of stripped speaker wire and using a TV set from the training room.  Nearly 70 people were seated in silence around that tv.  Later we were sent home due to the amount of government work we did.

Now I remember a sunset with my wife in Hawaii
A sunrise in Belize with my wife
A picnic in the park with my wife and our little dog.

The mind is a wonderful thing.

GunClick Rick

I was watching in excitement and pride when the Challenger went up,i'll never forget the exspression on the face of Kimbelrys parents! ??? :-\ ??? i was standing up watching,all i could do was sit~
Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com