How far do you travel?

Started by Dusty Drifter, September 11, 2011, 12:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Drifter

Howdy ya'll. I've been studyin on this CAS thing for a couple of years now and it looks like a real hoot and I'm dying to get to try it. Haven't been able to jump in yet cause I've had to many irons in the fire and not enough spendin money. But I'm getting closer on both accounts (I hope) to get into it. The only gun I have now that I could use in CAS is a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 (that I've had for about 30 years) so I've got a big investment to make in guns. Bein from TEXAS, I naturally have enough of the right clothes (hat, boots, etc) to get buy at first so that's no problem. I know if I really get into it though, that I want a more PC outfit. I do my own leatherwork so that helps. But now I've looked up the closest SASS club to me and found it's over an hour away. Guess that's not to bad but gas is $3.?? a gallon...cha ching, cha ching!! Anyway, I'm plannin to makin a trip down to one of their shoots pretty soon and see this thing up close.

So I'm curious how far some of you other guys and gals travel to go to shoots and how often you go.

Texas John

maarty

About the same as you by the sound of things.
Our club is a bit over an hours drive away, gas here is $2.06NZ per LITRE currently, so that makes it about $8NZ per US gallon, close to $6.64US per US gallon.
Costs me about $60NZ there and back.

Camille Eonich

We haven't been shooting as much the past two years because we had to stop and catch up on other things in life.  We were shooting 4 - 6 matches a month with both of the two extra at an hour and a half to two hours away.  The others ranged from 20 minutes to a little over and hour on a Sunday morning.

Most months we shot a match out of town somewhere as well.  One year we shot three regionals, the Northeast, Southeast and New England along with End of trail.  The traveling expenses can get quite steep.    :o
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Fingers McGee

I regularly shoot at 4 clubs in Missouri.  Home club is 20 miles away.  The other three are 75, 115, and 130 miles away.  I also shoot various state and regional matches 6 or 7 times a year that range from 150 to 900 miles away.

Oh, by the way, I've been retired for 8 years.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

pony express

I thought an hour away was pretty close in Texas.....isn't that just about to the end of the driveway?

Cash Creek

My local club is about 20 min. away..the NCOWS Eastern was 4 hours away, and the Green River is 2 hours away, and Red Brush about 50 min..I am also retired..that why I can go to these shoots I work 45 years to save up a little and now I going to enjoy it ..I had plan to spend more on guns and less on gas..but we do what you have to do because I'm going to shoot and have fun..next year I'm planed on checking out some of the shooting it TN. that will be around 3 or 4 hours..I really want to go to Possum Trot..TN...Cash
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire...handle with care.

Modoc

One range is half an hour from the house and the next is an hour and a half one way.  Of course, if I feel like driving 2-1/2 hours plus, I can shoot every day of every weekend all month long.  This covers CA from Sacramento north, Southern Oregon and Reno Nevada ;D.  Of course that leaves no time or money for reloading, the honey-do list or.............

What we try to do is a couple times a year, get out and shoot SOMEONE ELSE'S match, rather than the two that we have been running/help run for the last 10 years.
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Jefro

Howdy Texas John, and welcome. My home club is a little over an hour. Other clubs are 1hr 20m..........2hr 30m.......2hr 45m. We try to shoot at least two SASS matches a month. And then there's CFDA once a month at our home range, as well as Wild Bunch. Before you spend a dime on any gear, start going to as many local matches as you can find. Introduce yerself, call the MD, most of us are more the willing to let you use our gear. Try the different firearms before you buy, it will save you a bundle in the long run. Good Luck :)

Jefro ;D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Pancho Peacemaker

I shoot mostly NCOWS.  My home club's monthly matches are 40 minutes from my house.  I attend about 10 of those each year.

Next closest NCOWS club (Tyler, Texas) is 2 hours away.  I attend their matches about 6 times a year.

The next club (Magnolia, Texas) is 4 hours.  They've just opened, & I've only been to one match there.

I usually make it to the NCOWS National Match in the summer.  That's an 11 hour drive each way . . . and well worth the trip.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Tascosa Joe

My home club is the same as Pancho's, it is 106 miles from my front gate to the Range.  Tyler is almost 200 miles.  There are several SASS clubs closer, but I dont shoot SASS much anymore.  None are closer than 70 miles.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Stu Kettle

My home is centrally located.  I travel about 200 miles, between 3 and 3 1/2 hours, to each of the 5 clubs where I do most of my shooting.  One in Wyoming, one in Colorado, one in Kansas, and two in Grand Island, Nebraska.  Might sound like a long way, but I also drive over an hour to buy groceries.

Marshal Deadwood

45 min to one, 20  min to the other. I shoot sometimes at one 1 hr away but not keen on that range.

MD

Peddler Parsons

I did drive anywhere from 1  1/2 hrs to 2 1/2 hrs to shoot  back in Mo.
my home club is 22 miles and the longist is  just over a hour

Johnny McCrae

My home club is less then a half hours drive from my home in southeastern Wisconsin. There are three other clubs within an hour to 1-1/2 hours drive from home. The NCOWS Nationals in Evansville, Indiana is a seven hour drive from home. I seriously thought of driving my Harley to some of the matches but some of the roads into the ranges are not motorcycle friendly.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

LoneRider

88 miles every month

89 miles almost every month

130 miles every 2 or 3 months

45 miles  every once in awhile

27 miles hardly ever
Happy Trails

kliff

70 miles to the East, or 120 miles to the West, trying for one of each every month.....trying..... ::)
kliff, AKA: Cherokee kliff
SASS  94630

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com