Sorry Charley ummm...Dave

Started by Major 2, September 10, 2011, 10:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Major 2

:(  Steel Horse Bailey and I met up early this morning to go shoot..
I was so looking forward to shooting with the Great Lakes Freight & Mineing Co.

Well I should of known things were going to sour ..when I set out for SHB's house the I-70 on ramp just down the street from my Hotel (west side) was CLOSED (construction) it was open yesterday, all week in fact  ::)
anyway, I found alternate route VIA my GPS and a few calls to Jeff ....So we take off for Modac on yep I-70 clear on the east side of Indy.
About 15 miles we run into a parking lot ( Florida talk for you are dead stopped on the interstate ) we did not move for 15-20 min
and when we did it was only to take the spot of the cars in front that gave up and jumped the median to go back.
So here we are, dressed in our Saturday go to Shooting Duds and we ain't going no place fast, In fact no place at all !

We could not even see what was the problem, I still don't know. Time to be at the range came and went and finally we decided
Well, we can sit here a burn gas or filp around ( we were well between and exits and no other route would help as were LATE anyway )
So.... OH well ! Called Dave to explain and got his voice mail.   :-\

when planets align...do the deal !

TwoWalks Baldridge

That just plain sucks .. but at least you were stuck at the parking lot with good company. Glad you are enjoying the rest of the trip and you are one lucky son of a gun ... Elk chile, the holy grail of eating.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Cash Creek

Being that you two where dress to shoot..you guys could have got out in the median and did a little shooting to help promote NCOWS..I sure a lot of people would be interesting in what you guy where doing..you might have even got on the TV news when the police got there...CC
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire...handle with care.

Major 2

They were there....one was facing the wrong way lights flashing and motioning to turn around.

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Cash Creek on September 10, 2011, 02:35:32 PM
Being that you two were dressed to shoot..you guys could have got out in the median and did a little shooting to help promote NCOWS..I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in what you guys were doing..you might have even got on the TV news when the police got there...CC

Dang ... why didn't WE think of that, Roger?

It was a gloomier ride back than going as far as we got.

:'(

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Texas Lawdog

SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Major 2

Talked to Dave....he had been in it too but closer and did get through.
He said " it was a Semi Trailer crash and by the time he got to it, the fire was out and they had dragged the Cab off."
He said "it's diesal tank was still there" and I guess had Haz-Mat people on it.
I don't know if it was fatal... but being the I-70 Interstate and 9/10-9/11 perhaps Homeland securty was extra cautious.  :-\

A anyrate, it was nice day to shoot, cool in the 60's.
I'm disapointed , Just was not in the cards ....but I'll get over it  :)

Texas Lawdog

Yep, This weekend was not a good time to travel.  They found a rental truck with guns and explosives in it, parked at the curb, in front of one of the passenger terminals at D/FW airport. They arrested the driver. The area was near where returning troops from overseas pass through. I've got a new nylon rope that I would like to stretch his neck with.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Tascosa Joe

The truck at DFW belonged to folks that have a reality TV show.  It was the gunshop down in Louisiana that builds machine guns and stuff.  He had picked up some stuff for his shop and was at the airport picking somebody up.  The doofus left the truck in a no parking zone and went in the terminal. 
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Major 2

Are you serious.... the DORK from the Sons of Guns ?

I hope the driver, gets to meet BUBBA  :o in the slammer   and I don't mean GWB

Major 2

Farewell Indy..... I flew out this morning @ 7AM

Many thanks to Steel Horse Bailey for putting up with me for several days.

Thanks also to Bill Proctor OCB , his hospitality and the fine Elk Chille, enjoyed the footage for Kansas Moon
Great to meet you guys & and Dave Hollenworth.... I enjoyed it.

Irish Dave

Yep, Major, very sorry we couldn't get together. But we did have a chance for a nice long phone chat and we'll look forward to seeing you out this way again sometime.

Glad you had a safe trip and made it home in good stead.

Later, pard. 
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Irish Dave on September 13, 2011, 08:04:00 PM

Glad you had a safe trip and made it home in good stead.

Later, pard. 

Indeed!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Texas Lawdog

I know that Roger had a good time with my friends and brothers in Indy. He and I had a good time at the NCOWS convention this year. I look forward to seeing him again next year in Kentucky. I look forward to running into the boys from Indy, my own self.

Major 2

Hey Jeff

These are the boys we saw testing at Indy last week ....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-grand-am-gurney

Remember I said it was Alex Gurney in the Red car and Max the Ax & Ricky Taylor in Sun Trust car ?

Steel Horse Bailey

Thanks for the link, Roger.  The Gurney family is certainly a serious name in auto racing!  Was he one of the 2 drivers (and 4 or so crewmen) we passed at the Museum entrance after the rain started, or was he driving one of the half-dozen or so cars we saw  and heard thundering around the track?  That sound was what really made an impression on me.  Hey, I've been in tanks that can make things shake-rattle-'an-roll just by driving by, and I've been around aircraft with piston engines topping 2500 HP, but I've never heard ... and felt anything like those cars as they went by us!  I relish the experience and I'm SOOOO happy something besides rain was happening at the Track when we visited.  It took a LOT of my not considerable influence to make that happen when you were there for your first visit!
::)    ::)

;)

And yes, I do remember you telling me the names of the drivers and teams on the track.  Max the Ax(e).  How could I fergit?!  It was waaaay too cool to forget!!  Wasn't the red car (Or one of them)  the one with 6 wheels?  I hope that wasn't just mist in my eye making me see 2 extra wheels ... and don't forget; we saw a 6 wheeler that competed in the 1930s - we saw it in the movie they showed.

Not Old West or guns ... but still VERY cool!

Major 2

The two drivers were Taylor & Max the Axe with Blue & yellow Suntrust car and crew
Gurney was driving the Red Car No. 99 GAINSCO, we did not see him at the Museum entrance.

I believe both are Ryley Cars, No not 6 wheels but if you just got a glance ( they were quick ) the 99 on the red car might have looked like a second pair of rears (see photo)

Texas Lawdog

I can remember watching Dan run at Indy in one of the Lotus Fords with Jimmy Clark in the middle to late 60s. These cars that were testing are part of the American LeMans series.

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Major 2 on September 15, 2011, 05:43:42 AM
The two drivers were Taylor & Max the Axe with Blue & yellow Suntrust car and crew
Gurney was driving the Red Car No. 99 GAINSCO, we did not see him at the Museum entrance.

I believe both are Ryley Cars, No not 6 wheels but if you just got a glance ( they were quick ) the 99 on the red car might have looked like a second pair of rears (see photo)

Thanks for the clarification.  After I wrote about the 6 wheel-er, I asked Mr. Google for help and was rewarded with many pics and videos of the Elf  Tyrell 6 wheel Formula 1 car that kicked a$$ on the tracks .... back in 1976 or so.  That made me figure out that I prolly hadn't seen that one out for a spin - in September of 2011.  Besides, the Tyrell racer was blue and the car I thought I saw was red ... just like the picture you posted.  If you remember, I have been tormented by eye infections that require me to blot my eyes every few seconds or at least minutes (if I get lucky) so I probably "saw" an extra rear tire courtesy of the continuous tearing in my eyes (especially my R or "aiming" eye!)

Texas Lawdog

SHB, I remember the ELF car back then. It was quite a revalation to F1.  They're building an F1 track south of us, near Austin. I enjoy watching the beautiful women, almost as much as watching the race cars.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com