Author Topic: Buffalo Rifle Loads guidance sought  (Read 12336 times)

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Buffalo Rifle Loads guidance sought
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 01:44:49 PM »
 I just stumbled into that one on Hornady one day, and plugged in some of my bpcr numbers and  ;D dang it was pretty close.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Skyrider

• Very Active Citizen
  • Thank A VET For Your FREEDOM!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 11:17:45 PM »
I was just wondering what you gave for the B.C. figure of your bullet? I have several different bullets but do not know the B.C. on any of them. ;)
IRISH MIKE

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 04:10:03 AM »
I was just wondering what you gave for the B.C. figure of your bullet? I have several different bullets but do not know the B.C. on any of them. ;)
Thats pretty much what I been tryin ta find out. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:50:54 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 09:45:29 AM »
I found this site that provides an online calculator for determining ballistic cooefficients for most cast and jacketted bullets;

http://www.tmtpages.com/calcbc/calcbc.htm

P.S; I did a calculation for my Lyman 457192, dia. .458, weight 345 gr. and got a figure of .28 from the above calculator.  I did a quick entry on "handloads.com" & they said .235.  At 400 yards the difference was ten inches of drop.  So whatever, it will get you on paper, but sighting in is crucial.

P.P.S;  With more practice with this calculator, I believe the more correct bal Coef figure is .256
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 11:27:48 AM »
Yep I believe I have that also. However, I have been tryin ta find out what R13 would consider to be the minimum BC ta shoot at 1000 yds. Also what is the BC of the bullets that he uses. Either I am not askin the question properly or he is reticent about bein forthcomin with that tidbit of information.  :P WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 11:46:51 AM »
R13 doesn't pay a bit of attention to the bc of a bullet. To many variables in these big slow bullets to get upset about a paper number that will change with velocity....
 In 38 caliber I like the 330 gr bullets, in 40 the 400-410 get the nod altho I do have a 360 gr patched bullet that has shown promise, in the 44's 480 gr seems about right, and in the 45's 480-510 gr gets the job done.
 The traditional "creedmoor" and sharps nose styles works as well for hunting as they do for longrange target work.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 11:48:08 AM »
Yep I believe I have that also. However, I have been tryin ta find out what R13 would consider to be the minimum BC ta shoot at 1000 yds. Also what is the BC of the bullets that he uses. Either I am not askin the question properly or he is reticent about bein forthcomin with that tidbit of information.  :P WM

A couple of good questions here.  Generally folks consider 500 a grain .45 bullet is required.  The mv recommended is about 1200 fps.  BTW; Spitzer bullets are NOT required at velocities below the speed of sound.  And, as they lengthen the bullet unnecesarily, it leads to an unrealistic requirement for a stupidly tight rate of twist.  With this information you can calculate the Bal Coef. for any bullet you can find measurements for.

In the tmt site the data for the highly recommended Postell bullet is one of the examples. It shows a figure of .389.  I'd say that is a pretty good benchmark.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 04:00:36 PM »
R13 doesn't pay a bit of attention to the bc of a bullet. To many variables in these big slow bullets to get upset about a paper number that will change with velocity....
 In 38 caliber I like the 330 gr bullets, in 40 the 400-410 get the nod altho I do have a 360 gr patched bullet that has shown promise, in the 44's 480 gr seems about right, and in the 45's 480-510 gr gets the job done.
 The traditional "creedmoor" and sharps nose styles works as well for hunting as they do for longrange target work.

Thank you, I preciate your response, I just believe that a good starting point would be a bullet with a BC that would be sufficient.  WM

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 04:03:02 PM »
A couple of good questions here.  Generally folks consider 500 a grain .45 bullet is required.  The mv recommended is about 1200 fps.  BTW; Spitzer bullets are NOT required at velocities below the speed of sound.  And, as they lengthen the bullet unnecesarily, it leads to an unrealistic requirement for a stupidly tight rate of twist.  With this information you can calculate the Bal Coef. for any bullet you can find measurements for.

In the tmt site the data for the highly recommended Postell bullet is one of the examples. It shows a figure of .389.  I'd say that is a pretty good benchmark.
Thank you Sir Charles, I have been talkin ta a fella about a popcorn bullet that may get the job done. WM

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 04:21:59 PM »
 At the velocity these bpcr bullets operate at the higher bc bullets just don't really preform any better than the lower bc stuff.
 The 500 gr government bullet will shoot as well at distance as the postel and it's offspring.
 The big problem with high bc bullets in these rifles comes from the long slender noses and the "slump" that occurs when those bullets are cast from the softer alloys.  If you can get one of the high bc bullets to group well from a hard alloy such as #2, you'll maybe gain a little bit of advantage but it won't be alot, and it may not be worth the lead mining lessons you'll get.
BACO offers a 510 gr creedmoor bullet that ought to be just the ticket for some good long range stuff.
 We've been running the Saeco 645 bullet in my wifes rifle this season, and she's cut a pretty wide swath with that bullet. The only problem with it would be the paper matches that require a 500 gr 45 caliber bullet, at 480 it falls out of the accepted weight range.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 04:40:52 PM »
When you are shooting at longer range what mixture of lead/tin do you use? I will probably not start using paper patch bullets. As of right now I use pure lead. I know that I can temper them somewhat with heat but don't know if I need to. WM

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 04:48:01 PM »
I use 20-1 for most everything. Sometimes I do use wheelweights in the patched bullets, but I've had some leading problems when using them in greasegrooves.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2011, 08:29:19 PM »
Do any of you have any experience with 50-70?  Right now I am shooting GOEX 2F and a 425 gr Buffalo Arms bullet.  My first time out it was about minute of pie plate at 50 yards.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com