Colt SAA .45 Lettered to Dec 1876

Started by Comanche Kid, August 30, 2011, 01:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Comanche Kid

One of these walked through My door today. It was attached to a smiling friend who had just scored it from a local gent. It was one of 300 sent from the factory to the Gov't Inspector in the factory. 85% case hardening still present..98% bore, 90% blue still present. Letter stated it was sent out Dec 23, 1876!!! Looked for US mark, but none present. Any idea where this one would have been sent to? It looks almost as good as the day it was made..Minor holster wear in the usual spots..Almost had a heart attack when he pulled it out of the case..Have never seen one this nice...Ideas on Value??? serial range 33XXX...Will post some pics at the end of the week as he has left to vacation

Hangtown Frye

Wow, sounds sweet! 

Since it was sent to the government inspector but with no US markings on it, I would imagine that it was sent for private sale through the Ordnance Department to officers. It could have gone to a Regular Army or militia/state guard officer. At least this is my recollection of such things.  From the sound of it, it doesn't seem to have seen much service, but it would be fascinating to find out who purchased it!  Perhaps through Ord. Dept. records? 

Anyway, your friend has a great find there!  Bravo!

Cheers!

Gordon

St. George

A gun like this - at that time frame - would've been fully inspected if sent to Ordnance.

Officer private purchase came 'from' Ordnance - and not from the factory, since the Government's price was lower.

To me, it sounds too good to be true, and believe me - there a 'lot' of well-faked Single Action Army revolvers out there.

It warrants looking at by a recognized expert in the field - and that'd be John Kopec, since he wrote the books.

You don't say anything about barrel length or markings, grip markings, or other Inspector's marks - and if a Government-owned weapon, they'd be present.

The so-called 'Artillery Model' Colts were refurbished after 1895, when the Government decided to shorten their revolvers to a 5 1/2" length, so they were returned to both Colt and Springfield Armory for repair and refitting and refinishing - and in that process, after late 1896, the serial numbers no longer matched.

That's what happened to the older Colts who saw active service during the Indian Wars.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Comanche Kid

serials all match. 5.5" barrel, grips worn..Nice overall condition

Pettifogger

Quote from: Comanche Kid on August 30, 2011, 02:41:17 PM
serials all match. 5.5" barrel, grips worn..Nice overall condition

That provides a whole lot more information.  5.5" barrel -- not original to an 1876 gun.  "Worn" grips and now its down to "nice" condition.  Almost for sure refinished.  The only real question is if it is arsenal refinished.

St. George

And - if refinished at Colt or Springfield Armory - then there should be new Inspector's markings on the grips and other parts - 'likely' those of Rinaldo A. Carr and since those revolvers didn't see heavy service, then the marks 'should' remain visible.

The refinished government-owned Colt revolvers that are all-matching were done in 1895-96 - and after mid-to-late '96, they were mixed serial numbers.

What's the barrel marking on top - and is there a caliber marking, as well?

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Fox Creek Kid

IMO it's a nice Colt, but nothing spectacular other than the early serial #. It's been refinished, as mentioned by others, and Lord knows what else in the space of 100 odd years.

The aforementioned authority John A. Kopec says (& I quote):

Quote" We estimate that almost 90% of Colt SAA Cavalry & Artillery revolvers currently being offered for sale, especially at shows - have been faked or "helped" in some way."

http://www.johnakopec.com/index.php?page=authentication

St. George

I'd say that that was a fair percentage.

Kopec's been studying the martial Colts for decades - he'd know - and many of the 'Artillery Model' Colts have had their barrels 'lengthened' back to 7 1/2", because of the 'Cavalry' connection, too.

Vaya,

Scouts out!

Pettifogger

One of my favorite lines from an auto enthusiast magazine was "Seven Hemi-Cuda convertibles were built.  One hundred and twenty seven are known to have survived."

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: Pettifogger on August 31, 2011, 11:20:16 AM
One of my favorite lines from an auto enthusiast magazine was "Seven Hemi-Cuda convertibles were built.  One hundred and twenty seven are known to have survived."

:D

Someone said that at a major gunshow awhile back some vendor had a sign saying something to the effect:

"The only '77 Colt NOT used by Billy the Kid" 

;D :D ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com